Code of Conduct

Thanks for the explanations. 

the sports have drifted from their roots into a hard core competitive environment.   It was inevitable I suppose, but the fun factor goes away when people start getting all bent out over scores and rules. 

Yep.  That's what happens when a game becomes a sport. 

Walk throughs are one thing I've never really understood about IDPA.  If the whole idea is to improve your defensive pistol skills, doesn't a walk through largely defeat the purpose?  If you don't see and consequently don't neutralize a target, aren't you dead?  I understand there are guns involved and you can't just let people run around all willy nilly, but it seems like giving the shooters the number of targets and rounds they're expected to fire is way too much information. 

• Like 3

The walkthrough also reveals possible safety concerns which must be gone over.  It also gives the 1st shooter a reasonable idea about what is going to happen......Big difference if you are the 1st shooter.  It is no more a reality check than sporting clays is hunting.  Just a way to improve your skills.  But some really take it seriously, and that's OK within reason.

• Like 1

I've seen a few mom's lately at matches watching their children shoot and since I have children  (their adults now)I know exactly how mad "mom's and dads" get when the really bad vulgar rants get turned loose especially when its in front of their little girl.

• Like 2

For the Pro Shooters.

Once IDPA allowed sponsored shooters in its matches with their colorful NASCAR Shirts (It was once forbidden in IDPA to even wear a T-Shirt with a firearm industry logo) the focus shifted to these folks - - - just look at the IDPA website.  These Pros make money (cash bonus) from their sponsorships when they win or place in a sanctioned match.  The higher Tier the match is, the bigger the payout. 

Mark, you'd prefer seersucker jackets only per chance? Don't forget my rattlesnake belt.   :pleased:

Edited by 221 Fireball

I've seen a few mom's lately at matches watching their children shoot and since I have children (their adults now)I know exactly how mad "mom's and dads" get when the really bad vulgar rants get turned loose especially when its in front of their little girl.

Good grief. I can understand muttering a few choice words under one's breath, but a full on tirade? In front of (my) kids? Um, no.

I don't do IDPA anymore, so I have no dog in this fight personally, but IMHO, if IDPA won't do the right thing, peer pressure should.

This jackalope should be persona non grata at matches.  If I were an MD I would never seem to get an entry application from him.  If I were an SO I'd have to go to the bathroom if he happened to come up to shoot.  And the Area Coordinator needs to be tarred and feathered... publicly.

The shooting sports have zero room for crap like that.  :2cents:

I believe the shooter in question here is part owner of Comp-Tac Holsters. Winning is everything to some. It's a game to have fun. I have shot with Morgan Allen at several matches and he has always been a class act. Comp-Tac is a large supporter of IDPA.

WOW

Let’s think about this language concern:  I have been to many matches, local and sanctioned, where I have been exposed to questionable language, heck I have been guilty of a poor choice of words myself from time to time.

The reshoot:  we all have experienced a call we didn't agree with but let’s not forget it is still a game and what one person sees can be interpreted differently by another.

The lesson here is don't wear your feelings on your shoulder, expect you might get your feelings hurt and sometimes the calls won’t be fair, that’s just life.

Now for the scary part of this situation:

Discrimination:  

1. Why this shooter?
  2. Why Now?
  3. Was there an under lying factor?
  4. Maybe Personal reasons?
  5. Why was this shooter held to a different standard than others?
  6.  If language was one of the contributing factors in this IDPA ruling, they have now set a defined standard and will be required to discipline all shooters who exhibit this type of behavior equally.

The Reshoot concern:

1. Does the sport really need the headquarters involved with these types of concerns? 
  2. Seems like in today’s society if we don't like what we hear the general behavior is to complaint to Big Government or in this case headquarters that we had our feelings hurt in the hope that the law / ruling will be changed.

Honestly let’s think about it, what if this shooter pursues legal action due to the potential discrimination he / she has experienced. There will always be an attorney that will take this type of case, and really does IDPA and the shooting community need this possible media publicity that could come from this.

My humble opinion cowboy up and put your big girl panties on, expect to hear bad language at times, not get your way on some calls and understand there will be a difference of opinions at matches.

AND JUST IN CASE THIS OFFENDS ANYBODY PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT IDPA AND HAVE MY MEMBERSHIP TERMINATED.

Edited by kcevans

Well you can almost see where this is heading......

Named & Standing arbitration team required for all Tier 2 and above matches. 

When they included an Appeals section in the IDPA rulebook, the first thing that came to my mind was, "Sounds like HQ is getting ready for all of the Range Lawyers with their Butt-Hurt Bitching just like the way it happens at Camp Perry during the National Matches." 

• Like 1

Lots of assumptions here--would be nice to have the actual facts.

IDPA runs on assumptions and rumor. Anyone who actually knows what happened wont say anything for fear of the IDPA Social Justice Warriors.

• Like 1

.,....Unsporting behavior should earn you a trip home.......the sports have drifted from their roots into a hard core competitive environment.   It was inevitable I suppose, but the fun factor goes away when people start getting all bent out over scores and rules. 

When it wasn't fun anymore I knew it was time to drop out. 

Edited by tnhawk

I hope folks who are on the fence about giving IDPA a chance do NOT read this. Had I read about stuff like this before my first match, I might not have never have gone. It's not really like this 999 times out of 1000. It's lots of fun and as good a way to measure your skills as anything I've tried yet. 

So with all the speculation going on, here's just a few things I witnessed first hand at the Mississippi Show Down. Witch is what the first part of the email is about.

1st Stage 6 had a van that you stared on facing the gas door, T1 down range of start. T2 was across the hood, they placed a tape line on the front finder to show the shooter that you must be past this indicator to safety engage T2. There was a possible ricocheting bullets off the hood or windshield in to the other bay where 5 other stages were set up. Now the shooter in question made this very clear to the squad he was shooting in and all the other squads around that it was a fault line, no fault lines in IDPA!!! Was the rant, but it was only after he shot the stage poorly is when he had the problem. So he's now running in and out of the bay's continuing his rant all the while totally disrupting the other shooters at the match.

2nd The MD and AC are in the golf cart on the last bay of the day over looking things. I had some time to kill so I went over and started up a conversation with the two of them, about 30 seconds in to it the shooter in question walks up and buts in and says " FYI just want to let you'll know a shooter changed out a gun with out MD approval", and then turned and walked away. MD said who, shooter turned and smiled and kept walking. So no harm no foul just wanted to throw it in the match director face? Not sure what that's all about.

3rd The awards ceremony was just rapping up when "he" walks over to me and the people I'm setting with, only this time he's been drinking and by this time he's had a few to many. He congratulated one of the shooters for a job well done and then turns at me says, you know you're her bitch now right! So I said well if that's true then that's makes you mine and then he mumbled something under his breath and then said well next time I'll just pull my !!!! out and !!!! slap you in the face. So I said then pull it out and let's see what your working with there big boy, and he then backed away and disappeared in to the crowd. Not bring myself to his level I just let it go because he's not worth my time, and looking back I would have been in the same boat he's in now.

Now that's what I seen and witnessed, I heard other stories of the same problem child but can't comment on them. The action this individual displayed were disappointing, the man knows better and should be held accountable. After all he also is a MD and if this was the way someone acted at one of his, I'm sure he would want the same punishment for them.
  • Like 1

So with all the speculation going on, here's just a few things I witnessed first hand at the Mississippi Show Down. Witch is what the first part of the email is about........

Wow...., Just WOW!  :stunned:

Talk about one big Failure-To-Do-Right flaming A-Hole!

I trust this isn't somebody we often shoot with.

AND - - - For the Record, it wasn't me.  I haven't shot an IDPA match in Mississippi since the National Championships were held in that state way back in the late 90s!