Temporary Gun Rack/Safe Access

I'm more of a "listener" than "talker" on TGO, but certainly enjoy the exchanges and information on this site. I'm looking for suggestions for a rack or temporary storage system for removing/rearranging rifles and shotguns in my safe. It's always a pain to access long guns in the back of the safe and figure out where to put everything I've removed. I'm guessing this is a common issue TGOers experience. My apologies if I've missed this topic, but thought I'd check here before reinventing the wheel. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  • Like 1

Yes it seems to be a common issue. I have been "inwork" on a fix for way too long. LOL I am making a rifle rack that will fold up against the wall when not in use. If I ever complete that project I will post a picture. (Don't hold your breath, as the wife has her own ideas of priorities)

• Like 1
I've been planning to make a double-layered, round rack on a lazy Susan bearing. Stack the stuff you don't use as much in the back, put the ones you pull out more often on the spinning rack.

If I ever get time to get it done, I'll post some pitchers.
  • Like 1

This what I made for a portable/temporary gun rack. Cost about $5 to make.

GunRack.jpg

Cheap plastic sawhorse from Harbor Freight and some dog throw tennis balls.  Base is a piece of plastic I had from some old packing material but could be a piece of wood.

• Like 7

GunRack.jpg

Cheap plastic sawhorse from Harbor Freight and some dog throw tennis balls.  Base is a piece of plastic I had from some old packing material but could be a piece of wood.

That's a good idea, I may have to steal that.

My safe is at capacity, and I have no choice but to have 3 groups of guns:  Guns that are keep sakes, that don't get shot often, those are in the rear.  The ones that get shot in a seasonally speaking manner, those are in the middle, and of course the go to guns and guns that I shoot regular they are in the front.  I have consider gadgets and gizmos for my safe, but in reality short of gun room, my thinking is just another much bigger safe in addition to the one that I already have.

GunRack.jpg

Did you use long screws through the tennis balls? Kinda hard to tell from the picture

ideally a safe would be long-gun deep so you could just put a row on a shelf.   The safes are too shallow, and you can't do that.  A 5 foot deep safe would hold most and you could have instant access to something like what, 50 long guns?   I dunno if such a thing exists, would be near double the price at a guess...

• Like 1

I just back the MRAP out of the garage for a few days. 

And let it get rained on? No way!

The one whom I allowed to marry me keeps it detailed.  No rain spots allowed.

And I did err.  She backs it out of the garage, not I.

Edited by R_Bert
  • Like 1

Did you use long screws through the tennis balls? Kinda hard to tell from the picture

They are not really tennis balls but you could use TBs. These were at a hardware store as dog toys and look like TBs but they are harder and were 3 to a package for like a dollar. I used a spade bit and drilled a hole through one side then used a short screw.

• Like 1

They are not really tennis balls but you could use TBs. These were at a hardware store as dog toys and look like TBs but they are harder and were 3 to a package for like a dollar. I used a spade bit and drilled a hole through one side then used a short screw.

Thank you.

The one whom I allowed to marry me keeps it detailed.  No rain spots allowed.

And I did err.  She backs it out of the garage, not I.

How does she do that without leaving the kitchen? I'm confused. :devil:

Edited by LagerHead
  • Like 1

What's on the bottom of the sawhorse where the rifle butts sit?

looks like standard angle iron, or whatever metal?

its a nice design.  now sure how it goes in the safe :P  but I like it for outdoor range time.  If need be you could do both sides, squeeze one more slot in there and get  10 guns on it.

Edited by Jonnin

looks like standard angle iron, or whatever metal?

its a nice design.  now sure how it goes in the safe :P  but I like it for outdoor range time.  If need be you could do both sides, squeeze one more slot in there and get  10 guns on it.

The bottom was a piece of angle plastic that I had in the shop that was some edge packing from something we got at work and I thought it might be useful and brought it home. Probably could find something similar in the pieces they make for vinyl siding or make it out of wood. I understood the original poster as wanting something to temporarily rack long guns while sorting out the gun safe not for storing in the gun safe. I made it for my backyard range so when a couple of us were shooting and wanted to bring out more than one gun each we had a place to hold the extras rather than putting them on the ground on a case or leaning against a tree. It weights almost nothing and is easy to setup.

This device is made to give you a place to lean one or two guns against a car or the outside of the safe.  I use mine inside a gun cabinet because the rifle rest inside was too high for my AR.  It is lightweight foam, so it is meant to be portable.  It is made in the USA.  I have seen other magnetic devices, similar to what barewolf posted, in Academy and Sportsman's Warehouse.