Carrying into someone's home?

I'm a retired 30 year cop. Don't try to come in my house armed if I don't know you. Period. If you're with a trusted friend of mine, we'll discuss it. Just don't let me discover you in my house armed without my knowing about it beforehand.

Even invited? That's harsh. I expect if I'm invited into a home it's come as you are, and I are armed. :D
  • Like 4

I don't think I would carry into a strangers home. I might into someone's home that I've known for a while without asking, even if it were my first time over, but I don't think I would carry in to a person's home that I've yet to meet. That is, unless some sort of circumstance came up to where I could clear it with them first and it not be awkward beforehand. Or perhaps if I knew they were big in to guns I might be able to justify doing it.

If I know I'll be drinking, I'd leave the gun at home. No reason to risk it.

Edited by ooperz

I’m just remembering the parties I went to when I was young. If I’m having a party at my home with drinking; I don’t want an uptight non-drinking teetotaler that’s scared someone might mess with him carrying a gun. And I especially don’t want someone carrying at that party that is drinking. I don’t want to have to disarm a drunk; it’s dangerous for everyone.

If someone feels that strongly that they need to be armed they should call the host of the party and tell them they are coming armed or they are not coming. Who knows they may tell you “Roll on!”.

At my age now.... sadly this is no longer an issue. I miss the good ole days. biggrin.gif

A lot of us consider ourselves totally responsible for the security of our families in our homes, and part of that is exercising total control over who comes into the house armed and who doesn't. Having a concealed pistol aboard doesn't make one a good guy. Having a carry permit doesn't either. Nor does being a life member of TGO or being able to spell RKBA in seventeen different languages. What makes one a good guy for purposes of me admitting him into my home and into the presence of my family is trustworthy conduct, and that trustworthy conduct is forfeit in my book when someone I don't know comes into my house armed without informing me of that fact beforehand. That's where I'm coming from, and I'm certainly not alone in feeling this way. Edited by EssOne
  • Like 2
I'd ask the GF for her friend's opinions of it. Just because it might be bad if they found out and turned out the be anti-gun; no need catching flak from the Lady over something petty.

If theyre uptight about it leave it in the car. If not, just carry concealed. From what you said I can tell you're not the douchey "check out my open carry piece" kind of guy.

And regardless if I drink or not I am armed. I am grown enough to deal with whatever happens - it just so happens my wife doesn't drink and is a better shot so I am always covered.

Never understood why people left their piece behind if they drink - I'd rather have it at all times...I can tell you that Hajji and the Neighborhood Crips do NOT care if your buzzed if they want blood.

Either way have fun and GL!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

And regardless if I drink or not I am armed. I am grown enough to deal with whatever happens - it just so happens my wife doesn't drink and is a better shot so I am always covered.

Never understood why people left their piece behind if they drink - I'd rather have it at all times...I can tell you that Hajji and the Neighborhood Crips do NOT care if your buzzed if they want blood.

Either way have fun and GL!

Because it's illegal, and I for one don't post my willingness to knowingly break the law; even if I am. If I am out, my gun is in my vehicle if I'm drinking. I dont go to functions where getting inebriated is the goal, so I have one or two drinks early on then make sure at least an hour or two go by before I drive and therefore regain control of my weapon. If it looks like it will be more than a couple, I give it more time. The chance of something happening is slim, and even slimmer that it happens when I have been drinking. If I am ever in a place I feel a higher chance of something happening, I don't drink.

Because it's illegal, and I for one don't post my willingness to knowingly break the law; even if I am. If I am out, my gun is in my vehicle if I'm drinking. I dont go to functions where getting inebriated is the goal, so I have one or two drinks early on then make sure at least an hour or two go by before I drive and therefore regain control of my weapon. If it looks like it will be more than a couple, I give it more time. The chance of something happening is slim, and even slimmer that it happens when I have been drinking. If I am ever in a place I feel a higher chance of something happening, I don't drink.

Thats what I meant - I bring it but I keep it in the car.

Me personally , if they make it known my gun isn't welcome then I figure neither am I. I value my life more than their feelings. I realize that stance isn't for everyone though so yah got three options, go without, go with or ask them if they're cool with it ahead of time.

As for the folks pooping their pants about people coming over armed without announcing they are... if you don't trust them to not be a criminal and potentially attack you, why the hell are you letting them in your house to begin with???
  • Like 3

For me carrying is a part risk management, and the risk is from people I don't know or have any information on that have access to come and go the same places I do.  In that analysis, being out in public is far different than at someones home in terms of the risk.  Carrying a concealed gun into a home for a 4th of July Party implies you're ready for a threat.  Do you think one exists in that environment?

The only time I've ever brought a carry gun into someone's home in recent memory is when I was staying the night, and felt it was more secure inside the home with me than in the car.  I was sure to ask the owner if it was okay out of courtesy.  Her reply was "do you think I care," but I wasn't about to assume that.  Since we were all getting fairly lubricated that night, I took the gun, unloaded it and left it in the bedroom before having drinks.

• Like 1

I'm a retired 30 year cop. Don't try to come in my house armed if I don't know you. Period. If you're with a trusted friend of mine, we'll discuss it. Just don't let me discover you in my house armed without my knowing about it beforehand.

Your house your rules.... Someone else's house? Their rules! I look at it this way I would indeed be upset if someone I did NOT yet really know came into my home armed without my consent; thusly I would not do this to anyone else that I don't KNOW personally...

• Like 2

if I feel the need to have a gun to go somewhere I don't go.

Go live life, it is not always about the damn gun.

Leave it in the car and enjoy yourself. If you piss off or freak out her friends you won't be enjoying your girlfriend later.

If I felt I NEEDED a gun then I'd stay home too (or I'd take a rifle and friends with  rifles and get there when no one expected it and.....). I don't go to places (unless forced by circumstance) that  I think I'll NEED to use the gun.

Unfortunately just because I don't THINK I'll need it doesn't mean there is NO possibility that I will. I didn't THINK I'd need it sitting in a car in my parents front yard 22 years ago...but if I hadn't had it I 'd likely be dead now. 

The pistol I carry is for the UNEXPECTED trouble that sometimes happens in "good parts of town" when we don't expect it. 

• Like 1
How would you feel if you noticed your guest of a guess came into your house with a gun. You don't know them. You probably would not want to be on guard the entire time at your party. If you do decide to go just carry deep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited by Jack

I'm sure the folks in Charleston probably didn't feel the need to take a gun to church the other night either.

I agree it is not about the damn gun! It is also not about feelings either! It is about acknowledging bad things can and do happen to good people even in the most unlikely of places(churches, schools,military bases, etc.). 

Edited by Jonsaiga

How would you feel if you noticed your guest of a guess came into your house with a gun. You don't know them. You probably would not want to be on guard the entire time at your party. If you do decide to go just carry deep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No different than the way I feel about people I don't know who appear to be unarmed honestly. It is not a matter of fear, paranoia or being "on guard" all the time as much as it is just paying attention to what is happening around you. Of the people whom I would invite to my house, I obviously trust them and therefore I trust their judgement well enough not to bring any shady characters around. That said, if someone were to give me an uneasy feeling, whether armed or not, I will politely ask my friend and their guest to leave. I will not compromise my family's or my own safety for the sake of sparing someone else's feelings. 

For all the folks who are bent out of shape about having an armed house guest who has done nothing except for being armed I have to ask....., have you never been to a public shooting range where you are surrounded by armed people that you don't know??? People who are actually handling and shooting their guns near you??? This whole conversation is mind boggling to me. 

• Like 2
Leave home if your drinking. Other then that it's up to you and the home owner your visiting. Your girlfriend can do a quick text and ask her friend. I'm a firm believer in your home is your castle and its whatever the king of said castle says.
  • Like 1

I feel what a couple of you are saying.  But I stand by what I said.  It is like this. I am going to the beach. I will have a gun, but when I go out on the beach for whatever I am not going to carry on the chance some mad man might attack me. It will be in the car or the room.

Going to SC tomorrow, while looking at their carry laws I found this,  

SECTION 23-31-225. Carrying Concealed Weapons Into Residences or Dwellings. No person who holds a permit issued pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23 may carry a concealable weapon into the residence or dwelling place of another person without the express permission of the owner or person in legal control or possession, as appropriate. A person who violates this provision is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not less than one thousand dollars or imprisoned for not more than one year, or both, at the discretion of the court and have his permit revoked for five years

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/southcarolina.pdf