Carrying into someone's home?

While I'm not a lawyer I would interpret this to mean(why does the law have so many sunglass wearing emoticons?):

A firearm in the trunk or glove box or even in a locked case unloaded yet contained within the vehicle would still amount to possession if you could reasonably gain access to it or are operating the vehicle in which case possession of all contents there within are assumed to be within your control ...

Just keep a loaded long gun in car when you go out drinking. Law now written that it's okay to be dead drunk with a rifle or shotgun as long as it doesn't happen in a public establishment!

- OS

• Like 1

Well, I bet the folks at this party didn't figure there was going to be a threat, either.  Good thing there was a gun handy or more of the party goers might have died.

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/cop-opens-fire-ex-girlfriends-family-break-up-killed-brother/

Things like domestic violence and so on often increase on holidays and the 'threat' doesn't have to be someone who was invited to the party.  Combine being depressed because she (or he) left with plenty of booze and the extra salt in the wound of knowing the ex is having a good time at a party with someone else and a threat could pop up real quick like.  .I would really rather not end up as collateral damage just because some jackhole gets pissed that his ex-girlfriend is at a party with another dude - or for any other, stupid reason.  So, again, I'd carry - especially since I wouldn't know most of the folks at the party.  And to turn the statement about 'if you think you will need a gun then you probaby shouldn't go to the party' around, if they think they need to frisk/wand people at the door then that probably ain't a party I want to go to.

Good thing for me is that most of the folks who would invite me to a party (that I would actually attend) are people I have been friends with since high school.  They know I carry, they know I am almost certainly carrying when I come into their homes and they don't care - they don't usually even ask unless it is a question like, "So what are you carrying, lately?"

From the article linked, above:

When the shooting broke out, 22-year-old Joshua Womack, Ashley’s brother, shot back and killed the cadet, possibly saving the lives of other friends and family members.
Edited by JAB
  • Like 2

I'm surprised this thread is still going. 

Just for the record, GF informed me that she had already informed the host that I carry and he was completely fine with it. So the gun stayed on me.

Good food, good folks and a good time was had by all. 

However, despite all the worry and warnings, I didn't have to shoot anybody.  :shrug:

• Like 2

Just for the record, GF informed me that she had already informed the host that I carry and he was completely fine with it. So the gun stayed on me.
However, despite all the worry and warnings, I didn't have to shoot anybody. :shrug:

Guess you'd better try harder next time.

However, despite all the worry and warnings, I didn't have to shoot anybody.  :shrug:

Glad to hear everything went well and you had a good time.  Also glad to hear that you didn't have any need to use the gun

I honestly believe (and sincerely hope) that I will never need a firearm to deal with anything more than non-human varmints and vermin with the only, real threat being to my chickens, etc.  However, I also realize that if I do need a gun then I really NEED a gun and it isn't going to do me any good at home or in my vehicle.  I am possibly overly concientious about carrying whenever I can as I cannot (by law) carry at work so I really want to carry at other times.

Edited by JAB

Good on you both.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Just for the record, I gave up alcohol more than 35 years ago. So I won't be drinking. 

My question is more aimed at the fact that this is their home. They make the rules here. Its not so much about what is legal, but rather what simple good manners should be.

Good manners would be protecting those that need protection.  As the military once said, "Don't ask, don't tell."

.................................I really find it incongruous that the same guys who will go to hell and back to defend the rule that "a man's home is his castle" will toss that rule aside so readily when it comes to carrying their guns into that castle without permission.

This still stands.

This still stands.

Yeah, I could tell stories about the "I'm an American and I'll carry my gun wherever I want to and whenever I want to" character's I ran across on calls. I never could figure out why someone'd flush away several paychecks and an expensive gun to act a fool in front of their buddies or neighbors. Booze and testosterone are a pretty lethal concoction. Toss in some meth and its a surprise waiting to happen.

Yeah, I could tell stories about the "I'm an American and I'll carry my gun wherever I want to and whenever I want to" character's I ran across on calls. I never could figure out why someone'd flush away several paychecks and an expensive gun to act a fool in front of their buddies or neighbors. Booze and testosterone are a pretty lethal concoction. Toss in some meth and its a surprise waiting to happen.

I'd be more concerned with those who abuse booze and meth being in my home than someone carrying his weapon.