Someone recommend a pellet gun for me.

I've wanted a pellet gun for some time, but I haven't researched them. MidwayUSA has some on sale this weekend. 

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?dimensionids=4294846723&newcategorydimensionid=16835&cm_vc=J012

Is there anything here I should be looking at?

It would be for plinking. Maybe shooting nuisance birds. My only criteria is that it should be accurate at a reasonable pellet gun range. I'd like to stay under $150, but I could go higher if necessary for a great airgun.

After looking through the ad, I didn't see much. I was thinking of something like the Gamo Silent Cat. It's $139 at WalMart. 

Trigger pull is really important. I have an old Chinese pellet gun that must have a 15-20 pound trigger.

• Like 1
Ok don't laugh but some years ago we purchased a pellet bb gun for my son a Daisy from tsc. Fiber optic front sight an it actually shoots pretty strait. If I recall it was around $29.00 he still has it today.

After looking through the ad, I didn't see much. I was thinking of something like the Gamo Silent Cat. It's $139 at WalMart. 

Trigger pull is really important. I have an old Chinese pellet gun that must have a 15-20 pound trigger.

I had an NRA Edition Gamo a bit back. Had a trigger pull comparable to a cheap derringer. In other words...awful. Really stiff and heavy.

I understand new Gamo models aren't like that.

And btw, think about one with irons. I know many have telescopic sights on them instead. From my experience, you probably won't be shooting at distances to need anything but irons.

I have had everything up to and including a RWS-Diana-springers are powerfull and trigger pulls are great-but require a little time behind the trigger to get good.I recently purchased a Benjamin model in .22 caliber.Nice wood stock and a very nice trigger pull thats very repeatable-hence accuracy is very good.800 fps is advertised velocity and without a chrony I couldn't vouge for that but it will put a pellet thru a steel can like no tomorrow.Whats nice is the ability to increase velocity with more pumps or the reverse-keep it low if needed.I installed a fully adjustable peep sight on mine and they are very accurate.

IMG_1846_zpscfd4c5d1.jpg

IMG_1845_zpsf548d1c4.jpg

I would definately purchase one again

CMP sells used Daisy 853's for $100 with peep sights. I have 2 of them and they are really nice shooters. VERY accurate. I've been toying with selling one since I recently bought a PCP gun but haven't brought myself to part with it. Edited by netmindr

Please don't get me looking at air guns again. It is a slippery slope.

But you know you need a good quality air gun to protect the chickens from pests with right? Really now...think of the chickens!

Well maybe not...LOL.... But seriously a good air rifle is fun, will improve your shooting skills and can be used to teach others to shoot with as well.
Pellet guns and bb guns are what I really cut my teeth on. For general utility use a $50 pellet gun will be fine. I'd say some of the marksmanship should that I have today came from overcoming things with those old pellet rifle, I once killed a good sized muskrat with a daisy eagle at about 15 feet humanely, they are capable if you are.

I have had everything up to and including a RWS-Diana-springers are powerfull and trigger pulls are great-but require a little time behind the trigger to get good.I recently purchased a Benjamin model in .22 caliber.Nice wood stock and a very nice trigger pull thats very repeatable-hence accuracy is very good.800 fps is advertised velocity and without a chrony I couldn't vouge for that but it will put a pellet thru a steel can like no tomorrow.Whats nice is the ability to increase velocity with more pumps or the reverse-keep it low if needed.I installed a fully adjustable peep sight on mine and they are very accurate.
IMG_1846_zpscfd4c5d1.jpg
IMG_1845_zpsf548d1c4.jpg

That's a newer version of my 40-year-old 5mm Sheridan.

I have a Remington {don't know who it is made by} Express .177 that is "DEATH" to squirrels. I got it at Dicks about 4 years ago. It has been abused and tossed around and still going......You'll need to get a few different pellets to find what it prefers. Mine does better with RWS and Gamo pellets with a point. Only bad thing I can say is it's as loud as the Aguila Super Colibri Ammunition

IMG_1846_zpscfd4c5d1.jpg

IMG_1845_zpsf548d1c4.jpg

I picked up one of these off a FaceBook page last summer for $40. It's  a great shooter.  I'd like to get an adjustable peep sight for it. It's a .22.

Nitro Piston Benjamin Trail

Get it in .22, and buy a decent scope frim like Centerpoint (also crossman). I have one and I'm good with it on small critters out to 40yds.

I also have one of these that I picked up in at a local pawnshop for $79 out the door.  It's also a .22 and it is loud, but it's accurate and will penetrate a heavy guage trashcan in and out.  Very powerful rifle!  Have not tried that with the Benjamin Classic yet, but I suspect it would too, pumped up all the way.

... a Benjamin model in .22 caliber.Nice wood stock and a very nice trigger pull thats very repeatable-hence accuracy is very good.800 fps is advertised velocity ...

IMG_1846_zpscfd4c5d1.jpg

Just a note: that is apparently the 392 model, which is rated at max 685 fps.

The 397 model in .177 claims the 800 fps.

The .22 may have the edge in applied energy on target though, but dunno -- equation with two different masses and velocities is well beyond me. :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Just a note: that is apparently the 392 model, which is rated at max 685 fps.

The 397 model in .177 claims the 800 fps.

The .22 may have the edge in applied energy on target though, but dunno -- equation with two different masses and velocities is well beyond me. :)

- OS

Yes your correct-I must have been thinking of the .177