Ways to Carry Shotgun Shells

So if I were going to take a "tactical" or "fighting" shotgun class what would be the gear/rig to purchase to hold my shells? From my research the only two options for me are both made by SOE. These are the cop rig and shotgun micro rig. Input from people who have one of these rigs or have taken a shotgun class is greatly appreciated.
http://survivalgearbags.com/coprigbyorso.html
http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/tactical-apparel/gear/12-ga-micro-rig-h-harness-prod45031.aspx
I have an AR/AK SOE Micro Rig and just put SOE shotgun cards in the pouches and Velcro on the shotgun. I cover most of the Velcro in the pouch except the top edge so the card has something to stick to. This way I don't have to buy a separate shotgun rig. I'll be using this at TR Fighting Shotgun next week. Let me know if you want more info or pics.

The cards should work with any AR mag pouch that has Velcro inside for removable flaps. Edited by Romad7

iirc one of the students at this class was running and SOE setup.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/87948-private-instruction-knoxville-area-shotgun%E2%80%A6limited-class-size/

My personal preference is a Side Saddle (buckshot) and a buttstock holder (slugs). Granted this makes an already heavy tool even heavier...but it also makes it a Grab-n-Go tool.

I ran my Mossberg 590 set up this way for a 6 day class at Gunsite long ago and it worked extremely well for me.

IF you wear armor or have a rapid deployment gear set then I can see the value of training with such. But in my life situations I am better served but having the extra ammo on the gun and ready to roll...hence my personal preference for the Side Saddle and Buttcuff setup for training.

Randy make a good point that a buttcuff can interfere with a proper cheekweld when shooting slugs...and cause wear and tear to your face. Agreed. But there are tradeoffs in life.

:2cents: 

Let us know what you decide if you will. :up:

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/speedloaders-accessories/shotgun-shell-holders/side-saddle-shell-holder-prod13103.aspx

http://www.condoroutdoor.com/Condor-US1024.aspx

I have an AR/AK SOE Micro Rig and just put SOE shotgun cards in the pouches and Velcro on the shotgun. I cover most of the Velcro in the pouch except the top edge so the card has something to stick to. This way I don't have to buy a separate shotgun rig. I'll be using this at TR Fighting Shotgun next week. Let me know if you want more info or pics.

The cards should work with any AR mag pouch that has Velcro inside for removable flaps.

Yeah pics and info are appreciated. I'll also take a look at your AAR if/when you do one.

iirc one of the students at this class was running and SOE setup.
http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/87948-private-instruction-knoxville-area-shotgun%E2%80%A6limited-class-size/

My personal preference is a Side Saddle (buckshot) and a buttstock holder (slugs). Granted this makes an already heavy tool even heavier...but it also makes it a Grab-n-Go tool.
I ran my Mossberg 590 set up this way for a 6 day class at Gunsite long ago and it worked extremely well for me.

IF you wear armor or have a rapid deployment gear set then I can see the value of training with such. But in my life situations I am better served but having the extra ammo on the gun and ready to roll...hence my personal preference for the Side Saddle and Buttcuff setup for training.

Randy make a good point that a buttcuff can interfere with a proper cheekweld when shooting slugs...and cause wear and tear to your face. Agreed. But there are tradeoffs in life.

:2cents:

Let us know what you decide if you will. :up:

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/speedloaders-accessories/shotgun-shell-holders/side-saddle-shell-holder-prod13103.aspx

http://www.condoroutdoor.com/Condor-US1024.aspx

On the shotgun that I have I'm limited to what I can do. I already have a Mesa Tactical side saddle which holds 4 rounds. I think I'll do without the buttcuff. I hate those things.

On the shotgun that I have I'm limited to what I can do. I already have a Mesa Tactical side saddle which holds 4 rounds. I think I'll do without the buttcuff. I hate those things.

I can appreciate your take on buttcuffs.  My use is based on my perceived need. They, as with most gear, aren't for everyone.

I did just find in 3gun with some of those nylon things that you put on the butt of your shotgun that holds a few rounds in loops.  I had 3 of them, one on the gun, one on my wrist, and one on my belt.   I also used just my pockets a few times,  if you practice, pockets work just fine.  

Gear helps, of course.  People had belts with 30 shells in some sort of magazine like feeder.   People had loading sticks that could reload their whole gun really fast.  People had magazine fed shotguns that reloaded like a rifle.    I doubt I was significantly slower than the guys with the belt feeders.  The mags and sticks were hands down 5 or more times faster to reload.

How tactical? Can you go practical? First shotgun class I did I worked out of pockets. With a good belt, you can carry a bunch of stuff. Simple sling on my rem 870.

Next class I used a fisherman's pouch with the sling adjusted perfectly for reloading.

Use the gear you're most likely to be using? My innocuous fishing bag is zippered, semi-waterproof and easily stored near my shotgun ready to go.

I'm still learning about "employing a shotgun in a tactical situation," so I keep it simple.
  • Like 1

How tactical? Can you go practical? First shotgun class I did I worked out of pockets. With a good belt, you can carry a bunch of stuff. Simple sling on my rem 870.

Next class I used a fisherman's pouch with the sling adjusted perfectly for reloading.

Use the gear you're most likely to be using? My innocuous fishing bag is zippered, semi-waterproof and easily stored near my shotgun ready to go.

I'm still learning about "employing a shotgun in a tactical situation," so I keep it simple.

I'm talking either a tactical response class or a valor ridge class. I could do what you mentioned but I'd prefer not to. I've had to do stuff like that too often because people either wouldn't buy me or them the stuff we needed. So if I can help it I'll buy some gear that will make a class easier.

I ordered the cop rig and it did well for the shotgun class. Not exactly low profile but there will be not a whole lot of places to hide in the front yard if you get up and running with this rig on. Unfortunately I don't think there is an ETA on future orders. It's a versatile rig for sure.

http://www.originalsoegear.com/collections/chest-rigs/products/cop-rig

You are hauling around a shotgun.  At that point, low profile is already out anyway, right?

• Like 1

I ordered the cop rig and it did well for the shotgun class. Not exactly low profile but there will be not a whole lot of places to hide in the front yard if you get up and running with this rig on. Unfortunately I don't think there is an ETA on future orders. It's a versatile rig for sure.

http://www.originalsoegear.com/collections/chest-rigs/products/cop-rig

That's the reason I didn't order a cop rig is that I didn't know when I would have it.

I used the setup from my video at TR Fighting Shotgun this past week. It worked great, there was even a guy with a Cop Rig admiring my rig. I'll post a AAR later.

Looking forward to the AAR. I am considering Tactical Response but am leaning toward Valor Ridge for a shotgun class.

Looking forward to the AAR. I am considering Tactical Response but am leaning toward Valor Ridge for a shotgun class.

I posted the AAR on getoffthex.com in the course reviews.

I wanted to take a class at both before deciding so I'll be taking the pistol course at Valor Ridge next month so we'll see.  

At first I wasn't sure what I would think about Tactical Response but it was a really good experience.  Tim Morris can be a crusty Army NCO but he turned out to be a really good guy and instructor.  I learned a lot and really pushed myself and my gear so now I am confident in both like never before.

I'll probably end up taking classes at both schools in the future, it'll be good to get different perspectives and VR is a couple hours closer to me.  I am already making plans to go back for Alumni Weekend 2016.

For the Micro Rig.  It was really good to be able to swap cards on my shotgun quickly when I had time and feed from the rig when I couldn't do the swap.  When scanning I would reload from my side saddle then swap out a fresh one to be ready, then finish topping off from the rig.  This way I always had a full card on my shotgun and a full mag between drills.   

Port loading from the side saddle is much faster.  The guy with the Cop Rig ended up detaching his cards from the rig so he could slap them on the side of his shotgun as needed.  It's good to have options rather than just having to feed from the vest all the time.  

I do wish that I got a color that stood out from the dirt though, it was sometimes difficult to see the coyote colored cards on the ground when picking them up.  Also, mark your cards very visibly since there are a lot of other people with the same cards and it's easy to mix them up.

• Like 1