Soldier Charged with “going armed to the terror of the public”

The ammo is reported by cnn. The second link, although it's a fox affiliate, it is taken from a cnn writeup (credit at the bottom)

I've read some local reports that questions the ammo report. The pic of him sitting on the ground against the wall shows him wearing civvies.

My guess is he was just going for a picture to look cool and someone got scared of the scary black rifle.
  • Like 2

The police statement said he was released to his company commander and provost marshal at Fort Bragg.

This guy's chain of command is soft.  My old unit made it expressly clear, that if anybody was arrested on a weekend, they wouldn't be sprung from jail until the next duty day and would be sitting there until then unless they had their own bail money.

Wonder why he had ammo for a picture? Seems like the smart thing would be to have his gear and rifle packed up so nobody gets the wrong impression.

Who could tell if he had ammo, which I don't think matters one way or the other for open long gun carry in NC?

It was the appearance. Guy in civies with tactical vest and whatnot and an EBR in a Macy -- people freaked -- in somewhat reasonable "terror", would seem to me.

- OS

Yeah, I feel for the guy but he was kind of an idiot. While what he did was probably 'legal' it was stupid in that he went into the world of sheeple and scared the crap out of them.

Especially this week with all the extra "terrorist warning" coverage and the constant emphasis from DHS and the state LEAs on:

dhs-terror-se-something-say-something-he

- OS

Who could tell if he had ammo, which I don't think matters one way or the other for open long gun carry in NC?

It was the appearance. Guy in civies with tactical vest and whatnot and an EBR in a Macy -- people freaked -- in somewhat reasonable "terror", would seem to me.

- OS

It might be totally legal and I support the right to do so but its just not a good idea. I was just going off of the two reports posted which are starting to look misinformed, not a big surprise there. If he had brought ammo then I would put him in one of two categories, open carry activist or active shooter. Sounds like he just made a bad decision with good intentions.

Well this is interesting...

Do we have a law like “going armed to the terror of the public” in Tennessee?

No. i guess closest state law would be disorderly conduct, which is fairly vague. Or local "disturbing the peace" ordinances.

Of course, here a long gun and ammo on the person in general public is unlawful carry/possession period. Although decked out in civies with tactical vest and an  AR or AK pistol would likely have much the same effect here in a Macy's.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot