What's next?? Ban fireworks!

http://www.livescience.com/51408-july-4-air-pollution-fireworks.html

They're polluting the air! You might even die! :panic:

Exposure to fine particles, like those found in smoke and haze, is linked with a number of negative health effects, such as coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath, asthma attacks and even heart attacks, stroke and early death, according to the EPA.

And if the EPA says it, you know it's true.  :rolleyes:

Probably has something to do with how easy it is to combine this with a pressure cooker create havoc. They have regulated ammonium nitrate for no other reason they to prevent its use as an explosive as well so why not fireworks? Doesn't matter what they take away those that are set on doing harm will do so with a new tool they will also try to regulate or outlaw.

• Like 2

Did it say anything about a ban?  All I saw was that it spikes pollution for a day or two and that folks who have breathing conditions should avoid the smoke.

Which probably cost about a million bucks to figure out in a "study" that restates common sense as its result.  

I'm surprised we can still buy real fireworks in TN.

In Georgia, they're illegal yet they're surrounded by states where its legal. 

The sale and use of most consumer types of fireworks, including firecrackers, skyrockets, and cherry bombs, is still illegal in Georgia and punishable by a maximum fine of up to $1,000 and up to one year in jail.

Did it say anything about a ban?  All I saw was that it spikes pollution for a day or two and that folks who have breathing conditions should avoid the smoke.

Which probably cost about a million bucks to figure out in a "study" that restates common sense as its result.  

No... nothing about a ban, but give it time.   They'll cite the effects of "second hand smoke" and then implement a fireworks tax or require a permit.  (IIRC, Indiana requires you to have a permit to buy fireworks)  After all, this is the government we're talking about.... :squint:

I'm surprised we can still buy real fireworks in TN.

You can't.

This stuff they pass off as fireworks is a joke.  My grandfart had a stash of old stuff when I was a kid.  Ashcans, Silver Salutes and the like.  They would jar the friggin ground when they went off.  He had some mortars he bought when my father was a young'un and they were in a word....re-dam-diculous.  You can't buy stuff like that anymore.  

• Like 2

I grew up in ga and it was 100% illegal there.  Being 5 min from tn, we did it anyway of course... who's going to arrest a kid celebrating the 4th?  No one, at least not back then :)

you can still get the real stuff caster, but it takes some sort of license because too many people blew off a hand, too many kids given stuff that was too potent for them.   Next time you go to a real fireworks store, look for the classes on them... at some point, you can't buy them without.  

the days of buying a cherry bomb or m-80 etc were 40 years ago and more... 

You can still buy the real stuff... somewhere.

For the last several nights, some neighbors have been setting off some massive fireworks. And they sound factory-made. A big whoosh when it launches and a massive boom a few seconds later. Rattles the windows. It's pretty annoying really. I keep expecting it to wake up our 2-1/2 year old. But so far he's slept through it.

And this in Knox county. Not even legal here.
  • 3 weeks later...

I grew up in ga and it was 100% illegal there.  Being 5 min from tn, we did it anyway of course... who's going to arrest a kid celebrating the 4th?  No one, at least not back then :)

you can still get the real stuff caster, but it takes some sort of license because too many people blew off a hand, too many kids given stuff that was too potent for them.   Next time you go to a real fireworks store, look for the classes on them... at some point, you can't buy them without.  

the days of buying a cherry bomb or m-80 etc were 40 years ago and more... 

I have a box of M88 didn't require any classes to get.  Biggest problem is they got put in the wrong box and I couldn't find them before the 4th.  So someone is going here a nice bang some time this summer.

Thanks

Robert

Edited by rmiddle

I saw in another story covering this EPA report that the report had also highlighted the effects of grilling and barbecues on the atmosphere. 

IF anything were to happen, it would likely not be an outright ban on such activities.  EPA regulations of particulate matter would instead be set low enough that the only way for communities to meet them would be to ban activities like fireworks and grilling.  "Hey, we're not banning anything; that's your local government doing the banning."

Maybe I need to get my tinfoil hat out...but given what I've seen the last several years, I'm not willing to bet it will never happen....