Anyone here have a KLR or other dual sport

Ugly

Ammo cans are the way to go, cheap, rugged, and waterproof. I always preferred top loading luggage as opposed to a clam shell design so all of your stuff doesn't flop out when you open it and you don't have to hold everything in place just right to get it closed. Additionally ammo cans look cool, but obviously if you own a KLR you don't care about looks anyway. (Said by a guy who has a lengthy history of owning ugly bikes)
Look up HappyTrails.com

Or basically KLR luggage for other options.
Are you wanting soft or hard luggage?

GIVI makes some nice luggage and if you're really serious look up Jesse Bags.
Several options on soft luggage.

Might also visit ADVRider and do some searches there too.

The KLR has a huge following and the aftermarket is huge too, you'll have so many options it will be hard to decide.

Great bike, good luck.
I had an F650 (talk about ugly) with givi side bags and a bmw top case. I didn't like the looks or the lack of flexibility. I bought a wolfman tank bag and that by far has been my favorite bike bag yet.

The klr doesn't seem to have the room for the big tank bag. I thought about a pelican case for the back (not cheap and heavy) or a wolfman tail bag (really not cheap).

I do like the look of ammo cans but don't want to clothesline on a tree.
Thanks for the input, I'm thinking about a cheap waterproof tail bag to start.

I've always squired ugly bikes too, they tend to be cheaper :)

I've always squired ugly bikes too, they tend to be cheaper :)

There is a reason that ugly bikes still sell. It seems that the uglier they are the better the bike they are. I would still like a Versys someday, I haven't came across an owner of one yet that didn't love theirs.

Just so happens I have a tail bag that's like new that I could sell if interested.

Touratech bag for a BMW 650GS. I can get the exact dimensions later but it's close to 14x20 (?) base. I think the name is "High End".

$100.00

9e86ea15a52d17b843efa619c531c0bc.jpg

Edited by kieefer

I would still like a Versys someday, I haven't came across an owner of one yet that didn't love theirs.

I have one of these. Its better suited for long hauls on the open road than a KLR. That said, I did portions of the TAT on the KLR but won't do a lot of it  on a Versys. Versys too darn heavy in the gravels mud / slow tech riding. 

Open road with minimum trail riding I didn't mind hard luggage. But once on the trail I hate them, they get in the way of my riding style, (Flat Tracker, Crashing style :)

I was more app'd to short distance, dirt biking with my KLRs because of their light weight.  So the luggage went up for sale. There have been times I wanted it on the Versys but as soon as i am off road, i'm glad I don't have it. I mostly do week/two week rides so the el'cheapo waterproof dufles work great. So do the el'cheapo PVC rain suits as well. 

I've got an XT. I'd suggest soft bags. They're lighter, don't act as big sails empty or full, and they typically don't crack or break when you fall over.

A simple tail or tank bag is plenty of space for anything other than several days travel. Hard bags tend to get put on and left there, then fill up with crap you don't need.
  • Like 1

A simple tail or tank bag is plenty of space for anything other than several days travel. 

Ditto the tank bag. I had HCP'd with a lefty holster until i started using a tank bag.  Kinda the fanny pack of the bike world,lol.  Having all your paperwork and DL high and dry ready for the Gestapo is also win.

I have a little tank bag now but realize I usually pick up a lot of crap when I'm running errands. I'll have to expand the tank bag but will add a tail bag for now. That and bungee cords should get me by. Thanks for all the input!

First ride today, all on street but I did get to check her out. I am impressed with the KLR. It actually ran great on the blacktop but can tell it'll be way better in the dirt than the F650. I was debating on a 1200GS but couldn't pass up the deal here. I like the weight and size of the 650's and look forward to getting this thing dirty.

I have a little tank bag now but realize I usually pick up a lot of crap when I'm running errands. I'll have to expand the tank bag but will add a tail bag for now. That and bungee cords should get me by. Thanks for all the input!

First ride today, all on street but I did get to check her out. I am impressed with the KLR. It actually ran great on the blacktop but can tell it'll be way better in the dirt than the F650. I was debating on a 1200GS but couldn't pass up the deal here. I like the weight and size of the 650's and look forward to getting this thing dirty.

You on ADV?  If not, check in here... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=880313&page=107