new gun for non shooter

Guest cptron5962

Guest cptron5962

Well ladies, a question. As an avid shooter have a selection of handguns, but thinking of getting the future cptron a handgun for the holidays, (yes she agrees with this:), what would you suggest for a starter weapon? Want her to be comfortable as we are goin to attend CC course later this month. Thanks for your input.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Watauga
Well ladies, a question. As an avid shooter have a selection of handguns, but thinking of getting the future cptron a handgun for the holidays, (yes she agrees with this:), what would you suggest for a starter weapon? Want her to be comfortable as we are goin to attend CC course later this month. Thanks for your input.

A 38 snubbie lightweight with Desantis Nemesis holster.

Easy to use!!!

They may have a little kick, but they always work!

Guest Watauga
Well, you asked for the ladies' opinions...

So far you have one lady

... and two sissies, I guess :eek:

- OS

Well, you guessed WRONG!

My input was from a lady, my wife.

Well, you guessed WRONG!

My input was from a lady, my wife.

Mea culpa, but you shoulda put in the disclaimer :eek:

On that note, my last ex-wife really liked shooting full sized Ruger .357, but I wouldn't recommend it for concealed carry.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest abailey362

have her shoot your guns and see what she likes. My wife absolutely hated the 642 that we had, but says that the xdM is her choice to have at the house.

Make sure if you do go with an auto that she can operate the slide easily and make sure to teach her how to clear malfunctions, since those aren't gonna be as big of an issue with a revolver.

i'd go to a range with a wide assortment of rentals, buy lots of ammo and let her find what fits and shoots best for her

From a woman's point of view, I like the Sig 9mms. I also love the EMP, very smooth shooting gun. I'd let her shoot several and let her decide which one she does the best with and is the most comfortable shooting.

I always have to be different LOL so I mean no disrespect to anyone. :shrug:

BUT

When I was new to shooting and getting my CP I didn't know anything about handguns. So I asked for others opinions and I was told by everyone (men) to get a .38 snub nose revolver so I got one and to be honest with you I didn't care for it. Some women are very pleased with them, but some woman just aren't.

It really is hard to give advice on what is good for your lady so IMO the best bet is to take what you already have and let her shoot them and what you don't have try find someone or somewhere that will let her try them and let her decide. I think it will save you in the long run.

I started out with a .38/.357 S&W snub nose a year ago and sold it after getting a couple of semi auto's. I now have what makes me happy. Three different semi autos. But that doesn't mean your lady will want semi auto's, we are all different. That's just the thing, if I would have had the opportunity to try different ones in the beginning it would have helped a lot.

My husband has wheel guns, that is what he likes so each of us is different, I did convince him (because I bought it for him) to try a 1911 and he does love it. I don't hate wheel guns, I just love semi's so just because I didn't care for the snubnose when I first started shooting and carrying doesn't mean I will not get another .38 revolver sometime in the future. I just don't think it is always the best "first" gun in my opinion.

I second the glock comment. I would recommend it as a first gun if she's wanting a semi-auto and she won't be scared by not having a safety. I love the feel of it, but my brother can't stand it.

Like everyone else is saying, let her feel some, shoot some, and then let her decide.

I love Glocks too, but I've been shooting since I was 4 yrs. old, and shooting Glocks for almost 20 years now. I just wouldn't recommend a Glock, or any semi-auto for that matter, to an inexperienced shooter. Too many things can go wrong. That being said.....if she really likes the Glocks and does get one.....just make sure that she fires a few hundred rounds through the gun to really get the feel of it......and learns how to clear jams and field strip and clean the gun herself.

I love Glocks too, but I've been shooting since I was 4 yrs. old, and shooting Glocks for almost 20 years now. I just wouldn't recommend a Glock, or any semi-auto for that matter, to an inexperienced shooter. Too many things can go wrong. That being said.....if she really likes the Glocks and does get one.....just make sure that she fires a few hundred rounds through the gun to really get the feel of it......and learns how to clear jams and field strip and clean the gun herself.

I agree Mama. giving a Glock to a novice without constant supervision would be like dropping a handgrenade in a barrel of oatmeal.

I was a new shooter and started with 9mm semi autos. I loved them, and the worst problem was loading the mags. I preferred the glock 19. I now have a XD 40 Service. Some say that the XD has a smaller grip than the glock.

I tried the wheel guns and was not comfortable.

Let her try your guns and anything that she thinks she might like at a range. Even a 45 with the smaller grip would be okay. She will only shoot if she is comfortable so even a 22 is alright as a starter. We had a woman in my carry class with one.

She can graduate to the higher caliber for self defense as her skills and comfort grows. Believe me, it does not take long.

Shirley