Scary time for a family in Knoxville

If I were in the banking industry from the lowly teller to the CEO, I think my office name and real name would not be the same and I would never share my real name.  2nd, never ever be on a social website like facebook, and definitely not be anti gun.  When going home at the end of the day, I would always do a little extra rearview mirror checking.  :2cents:

• Like 2

This happened about a mile from my house. When details (or lack thereof) first came out I reminded my wife she needed to carry her gun more often. Then when it came out that it was the same MO as one that happened a few months ago, I figured we were pretty good since we don't work at a bank:)

If I were in the banking industry from the lowly teller to the CEO, I think my office name and real name would not be the same and I would never share my real name. 2nd, never ever be on a social website like facebook, and definitely not be anti gun. When going home at the end of the day, I would always do a little extra rearview mirror checking. :2cents:

Your banker name could be "Cash Money JoJo" :)

If I were in the banking industry from the lowly teller to the CEO, I think my office name and real name would not be the same and I would never share my real name.  2nd, never ever be on a social website like facebook, and definitely not be anti gun.  When going home at the end of the day, I would always do a little extra rearview mirror checking.  :2cents:

I had never thought about it never have worked in banking but when the one happened for Oak Ridge Y12 that was my first thought.

Plus I would have the best home alarm system I could afford and I couldn't believe they seemed on the surface to not have some plan in place in case something like that happened.

I would just think I was a target if I worked in a place like that and as I don't want to be target I guess that isn't a job for me.

I believe the one in Y12 was a a manger or higher position.  I was thinking near VP or CEO level but I could be wrong.  My thought was they should have had both a plan and alarm system at least.

Edited by vontar

Actually aside from the bogus name this was one of the common officer survival themes early on in my career. Younger guys tended to be more interested in being noticed then keeping a low profile. Social Media has gotten more people in trouble then can be believed possible. In actuality hackers, criminals and Intel groups benefit more from social media then JQP.  

Actually aside from the bogus name this was one of the common officer survival themes early on in my career. .

I don't do Facebook for all the obvious reasons. I used to keep a picture of a girl that lived across the country on my dash hoping that if the turds were set on targeting my family they would exhaust themselves looking for a girl they would never find. My wife knew this and was ok with it.

I dont know why they don't program distress codes into the security systems. One code to open normally, another code opens but triggers a silent alarm simultaneously.

That's one of the reasons why I don't have a security system.  I've asked that question every time I've talked with a salesman and they say... "you know, that's a good idea..."   :shrug:

That's one of the reasons why I don't have a security system. I've asked that question every time I've talked with a salesman and they say... "you know, that's a good idea..." :shrug:

We have had one on our systems since I was a kid.
I have had security codes at several major retailers in the last 25 years and everyone had a silent alarm programmed into the code for duress situation. Most were code +1

JTM
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had security codes at several major retailers in the last 25 years and everyone had a silent alarm programmed into the code for duress situation. Most were code +1

JTM
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.lynxguide.com/bm/Products/InputDevices/index.shtml

uses key combinations on a keyboard to send the signal, these things are fantastic, especially for large organizations - can automatically notify security/police down to the room number and which side of the room they are on when entering.

Don't come cheap though.

• Like 1

I dont know why they don't program distress codes into the security systems. One code to open normally, another code opens but triggers a silent alarm simultaneously.

Let me tell you a story about that. Our home alarm system has a distress code that we can put in that will "turn off" the system, but report to the alarm company that we are in distress. Well, early last fall, one sunday morning while my wife and kids were getting ready for church I decided to try and change some setting in the menu. So I tried and tried entering the system code to get into the menu, but was having no luck. Very confused I finally quit and found something else to waste my time. About 10-15 minutes later, my daughters (almost 4 at the time) said, daddy, two men are at the door. Turns out the code that I thought was the system access code was actually our distress code and two Knox County Deputies were at my door. I guess I need to actually figure out what the distress code is because I can not remember what it is!

http://www.lynxguide.com/bm/Products/InputDevices/index.shtml

uses key combinations on a keyboard to send the signal, these things are fantastic, especially for large organizations - can automatically notify security/police down to the room number and which side of the room they are on when entering.

Don't come cheap though.

Ha, I recently went to my yearly VA appointment and seen their keyboards all equipped with that system.

Has anyone even considered what may have happened if the bank officer did have a panic code and used it and the family in hand cuffs and blindfolded when the police did arrive. The out come could have been much different and maybe a family member might have been hurt or killed during altercation with police while be a hostage. I don't know about most folks but the protection of my family would come first and catching the bad guys would have come later when the police were notified and they could do the job to hunt down the bad guys.  No one was hurt because the police did not arrive until after everyone was safe. I would rob my own bank to if I thought it would protect my family from harm..............jmho

• Like 1

I had never thought about it never have worked in banking but when the one happened for Oak Ridge Y12 that was my first thought.

Plus I would have the best home alarm system I could afford and I couldn't believe they seemed on the surface to not have some plan in place in case something like that happened.
I would just think I was a target if I worked in a place like that and as I don't want to be target I guess that isn't a job for me.

I believe the one in Y12 was a a manger or higher position.  I was thinking near VP or CEO level but I could be wrong.  My thought was they should have had both a plan and alarm system at least.

There was a similar incident in Memphis in early June.

http://wreg.com/2015/06/08/credit-union-employee-kidnapped-and-forced-to-let-robbers-inside/

Has anyone even considered what may have happened if the bank officer did have a panic code and used it and the family in hand cuffs and blindfolded when the police did arrive. The out come could have been much different and maybe a family member might have been hurt or killed during altercation with police while be a hostage. I don't know about most folks but the protection of my family would come first and catching the bad guys would have come later when the police were notified and they could do the job to hunt down the bad guys.  No one was hurt because the police did not arrive until after everyone was safe. I would rob my own bank to if I thought it would protect my family from harm..............jmho

Could have, but also you have to think that once he is tied up and incapacitated, he could not have protected those same family members.  Be assured that I would use every option possible to get out of a situation, I refuse to rely on hope & change when under duress.