Need advice refinishing a 1911

zybysco

I just acquired a 1911 made in 1918. However, it had received a nickel treatment over 50 years ago. I want to have it blued. I'm thinking a shiny, bright blue. I'm looking for thoughts on it and recommendations for where to get it done. Thank you in advance.

Adam

Send it to CCR here in Tn! they are the BEST!

I too have a cherished prize that really needs a new finish.  It's a Python with the nickel rubbed thin and it's turned yellowish in places.  Was thinking of doing the Colt custom shop but they've been in such financial turmoil, I've hesitated.

Does this CCR place do nickel? 

I've seen nickeled and chrome plated gun's that were buffed out and hot blued turn out really well but it takes a really experienced buffer to get it right. Have you considered an industrial hard black chrome finish instead of the hot blue? 

I've seen nickeled and chrome plated gun's that were buffed out and hot blued turn out really well but it takes a really experienced buffer to get it right. Have you considered an industrial hard black chrome finish instead of the hot blue?

Only if I have to do that. I feel this gun deserves to be blued. The nickel sure did protect the gun though.

If you dont mind could you post some pictures of it ? If it were me and there wasn't much wrong with the nickel on it I'd just leave it alone. I would hate something that old to get messed up by a refinsihing company.

Plus some old marks here and there on an old gun gives it character. Just my $.02

• Like 1

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the finish of your pistol and I recommend you not do anything to that pistol other then shoot it occasionally and keep it clean. However if the darkened spots on the finish concern you a very (emphasis very) light buffing will improve that. IOW the gun's worth more as is then if you have it refinished again. At this stage of the game I'd be more interested in discovering the guns historical background then returning it to a blued status.

Put it back together and shoot it.

You can spend from several hundred dollars up to Turnbull's quote on refinishing it, and when you get it back, it ain't gonna be worth a nickel more than it is right now.

If you aren't happy with it as is, you'd be money ahead to sell it and buy an original specimen.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 2

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the finish of your pistol and I recommend you not do anything to that pistol other then shoot it occasionally and keep it clean. However if the darkened spots on the finish concern you a very (emphasis very) light buffing will improve that. IOW the gun's worth more as is then if you have it refinished again. At this stage of the game I'd be more interested in discovering the guns historical background then returning it to a blued status.

20150711_162633_zpskf6xsgih.jpg

That show it any better? It is on the frame as well where the two meet.

Put it back together and shoot it.

You can spend from several hundred dollars up to Turnbull's quote on refinishing it, and when you get it back, it ain't gonna be worth a nickel more than it is right now.

If you aren't happy with it as is, you'd be money ahead to sell it and buy an original specimen.

I'm not sure of its value right now, but I don't have a whole lot in it. If I could get it blued for a reasonable price, then I would find it money well soent.

20150711_162633_zpskf6xsgih.jpg

That show it any better? It is on the frame as well where the two meet.

Yep. It'll clean up a bit if lightly buffed but won't all go away. What you need to understand though is this adds character to the gun which is one of the more defining reasons to own such an older firearm. Remember we're talking about a 1911 that's almost 100 years old here!.

• Like 1

Yep. It'll clean up a bit if lightly buffed but won't all go away. What you need to understand though is this adds character to the gun which is one of the more defining reasons to own such an older firearm. Remember we're talking about a 1911 that's almost 100 years old here!.

But the finish isn't nor is it of the original style. I don't think nickel ages as gracefully as bluing does.

But the finish isn't nor is it of the original style. I don't think nickel ages as gracefully as bluing does.

Your pistol's original finish was of a hot blued process and depending upon its service life it may have been  parkerized which as you probably know is a phosphate finish. However somewhere along the way it received the plated finish you dislike, so in the end its your decision on how to resolve the matter. Your not going to enhance the pistols value or make it in any way more collectable but if it pleases you to have the gun hot blued then go for it. I suggest you google surrounding area gunsmiths and make a couple of road trips to look at their hot bluing. You'll most certainly find one whose work you like and for a lot less money than the $2,200.00 you were quoted.  

Edited by TNWNGR

The reason most people nickel plate stuff is because the gun was ruff. Nickel is soft compared to chrome. If you could get the nickel off and smooth it to 320 or better you could rust blue it. I bet it's loose in the side rails as well. I'm thinking you should just buy a new one for the time and money your going to have in it. If it shoots good like it is use it for a hide out in your house