Let's talk OTF's

I've had various benchmade and microtech autos for quite some time. I think I got my first 3550 back in 99 or 00. I've been lusting after a Benchmade Infidel or Microtech Combat Troodon. I am leaning toward the Microtech in dual edge spear point.

I really think I prefer a dual action. Is there anything else that I should consider instead?

I've handled the Infidel but not the Troodon. Is there anywhere semi local to Nashville that carries Microtech?

Consider Microtech's Ultratech.  You can get one online for $250 or less with several blade options.  I picked up a funky purple one on sale for just over $200 which I'm quite fond of.  

Sorry, can't provide any help for a local source.

Have you looked into Raven Crest Tactical? I've had their Nemesis for about a year and am very happy with it. It might be a bit heavier then what some prefer (15.16oz) but I really like the weight of it in my hand. And the dual action is still going strong despite my child-like fascination of opening and closing it 5 or 6 times every time I use it.
It requires both hands to retract the blade on the Dark Angel by the single action design.

It takes both hands to retract the blade on my Ultratech when it should require only one. I want to like the Ultratech but as it is, that difficult to do.

My Ultratech is hard to open and close as well, but I can get it done with one hand.  I've had it for a year or so I guess.  

The screws that hold it together are that stupid three hole bit design that I've never found anywhere.  At the NRA meeting I asked the Microtech rep to sell me one, which they wouldn't.  No problem, I asked them to tighten up the loose screws and sell me some replacements, also a no go.  Had to send my knife in to get "serviced".

The H&K OTFs look very promising, I would look at them at Guns and Leather in Greenbriar.   

My Ultratech is hard to open and close as well, but I can get it done with one hand.....The screws that hold it together are that stupid three hole bit design that I've never found anywhere.  At the NRA meeting I asked the Microtech rep to sell me one, which they wouldn't.  No problem, I asked them to tighten up the loose screws and sell me some replacements, also a no go.  Had to send my knife in to get "serviced"......

The attitude of Microtech toward their customers is the reason I will never own another product from them.
  • Like 1

I have a Ultratech but haven't been happy with it as it's difficult to operate. The Dark Angel by Protech has been my favorite OTF knife.

I echo your thoughts...the Protech knives are hard to beat. Not really sure which is my fav. lol

• Like 1

My Ultratech is hard to open and close as well, but I can get it done with one hand.  I've had it for a year or so I guess.  

The screws that hold it together are that stupid three hole bit design that I've never found anywhere.  At the NRA meeting I asked the Microtech rep to sell me one, which they wouldn't.  No problem, I asked them to tighten up the loose screws and sell me some replacements, also a no go.  Had to send my knife in to get "serviced".

The H&K OTFs look very promising, I would look at them at Guns and Leather in Greenbriar.

You can get a tool for the Ultratech here. http://www.pvk.vegas/product-p/mt-sp-2.5.htm
I carry a regular blade Ultratech every day and have a bayonet blade as well. Like then a lot.

Joe W.

Thanks for in info on the tool, as I've been looking for one. Hopefully I can get the Ultratech to operate as it should.

Mine is hard to close as well. It opens fine but sometimes I can't get enough leverage to close one handed. I also ran into my first OTF issue. I used the knife to open lots of boxes in the last month as we moved. It got a buildup of tape residue and failed to open. It took some oil and cleaning to get operating again, but like others couldn't take it apart because of the proprietary screws. Luckily it didn't fail in a life or death emergency.

One thing about OTF knives, they will collect lint,use lighter fluid in the Microtechs, this will not stick to Lint and pocket debres like oil will. The last few Microtech OTF knives I have owned were extremely hard to open and close, to a point that I sold them off

Again oil will cause crap to stick inside where Lighter fluid will clean and not stick,  so flush them with it, also if the blade ever comes off track, (which they will at some point) a strong flick of the wrist flicking it outward will reset it on the track I have owned over 20 OTF Microtechs over the years and have never had to open one

Edited by willis68
  • Like 1

bronco302 - Thanks for the tip on the tool for the screws, but I'm gonna try to trade this knife at the next gun show I go to.  The Ultratech is very cool, but not that great for EDC.  Probably shouldn't have got an OTF in the first place but the cool factor just sold me.  

• 2 weeks later...

There is a guy in fairview that carries a double action benchmade. I don't have his number handy though. Maybe one of the locals here has it.

I looked at several Benchmade OTF knives this weekend while I was waiting for for a background check on a pistol.  My next OTF will probably be a Benchmade.