(Un)Fairness Doctrine

I don't know what the rest of you think about the conservative talk radio genre, but I've found it to be a very informative and entertaining way to pass the time of day this past year. The other day, I heard about the Dems, specificly BO, wanting to reinstate the Fairness Doctrine. The Fairness Doctrine can be reinstated by a FCC board consisting of 5 members. Presently, 3 members of the board are Republicans and 2 are Democrats. One of these Republicans are due to be replaced soon. The new member of the board will be appointed by none other than BO himself, so I promise you that he will not put in a Republican. With the scale tipped to the left, the Fairness Doctrine or (Un)Fairness Doctrine WILL be reinstated. When this happens, this is what will happen. The doctrine will require Conservative talk radio to share air time on their station with liberal programming. As things stand right now, Liberals can operate their stations just as Conservatives operate theirs, so why should the government regulate talk radio programming? Also, the doctrine will not apply to liberal biased TV news media, Liberal biased Newspapers or magazines. It only applies to radio. It doesn't apply to all radio, just talk radio. It doesn't apply to all talk radio only local Conservative news talk radio. The nationally syndicated shows such as Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Michael Savage, and Bill O'reilly will likely buy into XM where the Fairness Doctrine will not be effective, but that will limit Conservative listeners like myself. Talk radio keeps listeners informed about the decisions made in sessions, so listeners can call their representatives to let them know how they should vote on topics such as Amnesty for Illegal Immigrants, Government bail outs, ect... If they successfully do away with talk radio, they will do away with the Conservative voice of the people. Don't just take my word for it, please research the subject for yourself. If you want to take a stand in keeping America free, go to Free Speech Alliance website and put your name on the petition to speak out against the Fairness Doctrine. I urge you all to do this because if they can do away with freedom of speech, what freedom will they take away next? Just go to http://www.mrcaction.org/517/petition.asp?=18726830&NID=1 to let our voices be heard. Thanks for taking the time to read my ranting.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the link. I'm big into talk radio as well, and expect it to die in the next couple years if this doctrine is passed. There simply is no base for liberal talk radio, because liberals don't want to be informed!:D

Guest ChiefSmitty

The thing about this is that liberal radio does not make money. This is an absurd act and should not be reinstated. Unfortunately for us, there is no formal vote, the FCC board will just decide to do it or not. And from what I hear, the guy BO will be putting in there is a staunch supporter of this. WTF is going on in this country?

I'm no BHO supporter (not in a million years), but he's on record as of this year as being against reinstating the FD. Not only that, but the FD never required equal time, just some time to present opposing views when discussing controversial matters.

Lots of things to worry about, but reinstatement of the FD isn't one of them.

That's what I'm saying. By making the Conservative talk stations air Liberal programming, people will not buy advertising thus killing the stations.

No one is making anyone broadcast programming - it's simply a matter of presenting the opposing view of controversial matters. It could be as simple as Rush saying "so-and-so disagrees with this, suggesting that blah-blah-blah..." then continuing on for the next two hours.

Methinks you're taking this to the extreme. The FD never required any sort of programming, it simply insured that multiple views could be presented, especially in areas where information was harder to come by via broadcast.

With the massive amounts of media available to everyone nowadays, I doubt anyone will pursue reinstating the FD, and if they do it will be a footnote at best...

We'll see. I generally seem to agree with you most of the time Crimson, but I guess we disagree this time. Besides, for the time it takes to put your name on the list, what's the harm? Even if I'm as wrong as you say, what's the harm in being on the list? I agree, there are MANY more important things to worry about, but you gotta start somewhere.

We'll see. I generally seem to agree with you most of the time Crimson, but I guess we disagree this time. Besides, for the time it takes to put your name on the list, what's the harm? Even if I'm as wrong as you say, what's the harm in being on the list? I agree, there are MANY more important things to worry about, but you gotta start somewhere.

I'm not suggesting we shouldn't try to stop this, I'm just saying there are bigger fish to fry.

That being said there's no point in ignoring ANY battle against those who wish to restrict/remove our rights.

i think this is insignificant.

Lib's had Air America. no one listened therefore no advertisers bought time, therefore Air America did not last.

As bad as liberals may hate it they cannot just up and manipulate free thought.

Liberal talk radio is a failure because the people that buy into their crap do not listen to talk radio. They are without a doubt a TV generation. And as much as they hate it, the Free Market will decide what is able to sell advertising and thus remain on air.

Though i heavily oppose any sort of 'fairness doctrine' i really wouldnt mind if Michael Savage was taken off the radio. A lot of the things he says arent a good display of conservatism as a whole.

Guest HexHead

Then your name is on THE LIST. :D

You've been critical of Dear Leader, beware the entry team.

:D

Guest HexHead
Though i heavily oppose any sort of 'fairness doctrine' i really wouldnt mind if Michael Savage was taken off the radio. A lot of the things he says arent a good display of conservatism as a whole.

Savage's problem isn't the content of what he says, so much as his context and delivery.

I can't imagine how he lives in San Francisco?