Tenn Greenbelt Property Qualification Experience

runco

Who here has some experience with the Greenbelt qualification to pay less property tax? 

We purchased a new home and 16 acres earlier this year.  Its a beautiful place, but is heavily wooded with mature trees.  Reading up on the some of the information, it appears we may be able to qualify.  Looking specifically at the Forest Land qualification.  Just looking for someone(s) that may have experience, the dos and don'ts.  Also what would be really nice, anyone write a forecast management plan? 

https://www.comptroller.tn.gov/SBOE/pdf/GreenbeltBrochure.pdf

PS Dang Hickok45 videos and my gun hobby played a heavy role in the decision of this property.  I now can shoot anytime I want!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As it sounds great on the front end, if you start asking the government to let you pay less

they just might want to come and look around and see if you are doing things right.

Just my $0.02

When we bought our land it was already on greenbelt. Seeing as I was not planning on farming it I went down to the assessors office to see about taking it off. Didn't want to get into trouble you know. They looked at me like I had two heads. I gave them the scoop they refused to take it off. Said it was either grassland area or for hay production. I said OK and left.

Had some other tracts that were side by side. Had been paying about $300/ year each in taxes. Couple years ago I noticed they had combined all the tracts into one and automatically applied the greenbelt. Instantly my tax bill dropped about $700. Its hard to out smart that tax accessor here.