[Computer?] Windows 7 Professional

I need to put Windows 7 Professional SP1 on a laptop that has Windows 8.1.

I can’t do the Microsoft “downgrade” because the 8.1 isn’t PRO.

Since retail support ended in January all I can find (at a reasonable cost) is OEM or system builders versions. (Windows 7 Professional SP1 64bit (OEM) System Builder DVD 1 Pack (For Refurbished PC Installation).

Can I do a clean install with that after I format the drive? I’m not clear on the limitations of this?

I found it on Amazon for $79. Everything else I have found is around $140. Anyone know of better prices?
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$79 is a pretty darn good price.

Before you format the drive, download the drivers for Win 7 from the computer manufacturer and save a USB drive and burn to a disc for safe keeping. You may need them just to install Win 7. You'll also want these because your newer laptop will likely need drivers not included in Win 7.

I need to put Windows 7 Professional SP1 on a laptop that has Windows 8.1.

I can’t do the Microsoft “downgrade” because the 8.1 isn’t PRO.

Since retail support ended in January all I can find (at a reasonable cost) is OEM or system builders versions. (Windows 7 Professional SP1 64bit (OEM) System Builder DVD 1 Pack (For Refurbished PC Installation).

Can I do a clean install with that after I format the drive? I’m not clear on the limitations of this?

I found it on Amazon for $79. Everything else I have found is around $140. Anyone know of better prices?

If it is a computer that runs Win 8.1 exclusively (newer models, as I am sure it is) then when you put Windows 7 on it you will be missing some drivers. Notably graphics, Network Interface Card/Wifi Drivers, and perhaps even your sound card.

I'd research your computer model and see if it does have Win 7 drivers...I know my HP Envy M5 didn't have some of them, so I had to use other model's until they worked.

IMO you're probably better off switching to a Linux Distribution like Ubuntu, Mint or ArchLinux. I do have a copy of Windows 7 on disk if you need it.

If you need any help feel free to PM me and/or ask for my number. I also have Windows Server 2008 and various Linux Distros on USB/Disks.

It’s an MSI gaming Laptop, it appears they have all the drivers available on their website and may even have them (Win 7) on a recovery partition even though this is Win 8 (still checking that out).

Another OS isn’t an option. I’m doing this for a friend because he wants to run versions of CAD\CAM programs that won’t run in 8.

I’ve seen all kinds of legitimate deals for Win 7 Pro cheap in the past (Newegg, etc.); now that I need it I can’t find any. biggrin.gif

You can run a live Version of GParted to create a seperate partition of Win 7 on the laptop. I assume this will only be for CNC/3D printing?

If you need any help I could always drive up to MBoro and do it for you, I have a copy of Win 7 and GParted on a USB.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

It’s an MSI gaming Laptop, it appears they have all the drivers available on their website and may even have them (Win 7) on a recovery partition even though this is Win 8 (still checking that out).

Another OS isn’t an option. I’m doing this for a friend because he wants to run versions of CAD\CAM programs that won’t run in 8.

I’ve seen all kinds of legitimate deals for Win 7 Pro cheap in the past (Newegg, etc.); now that I need it I can’t find any. biggrin.gif

What specifically is he having an issue with?  I (unfortunately) have some extensive experience deploying autocad & civil3d in all kinds of crazy configurations.

What specifically is he having an issue with?  I (unfortunately) have some extensive experience deploying autocad & civil3d in all kinds of crazy configurations.

We use some software that just won’t run in Windows 8 and isn't supported for 8 without an upgrade.

Have you considered setting up a virtual machine with Win 7?

I have thought about it. It’s been a long time since I’ve tried to use a VM but it wasn’t good for running graphic intensive CAD and solid modeling; ran like a slug. Has that changed? Is there a free VM? I already am finding that I'm going to have to spend more on Windows 7 than I told him. So spending more money on a VM to run it won't help?

If you already have the program installed in the win8, try this little trick before you wipe the PC. Right-click the shortcut, or go find the .EXE file that starts the program and right-click it, then select properties, and then select the compatibility tab. There are several options in there to fool the O/S run the program as if it were on an earlier version of Windows. Doesn't always work, but at least worth trying.

We use some software that just won’t run in Windows 8 and isn't supported for 8 without an upgrade.

I have thought about it. It’s been a long time since I’ve tried to use a VM but it wasn’t good for running graphic intensive CAD and solid modeling; ran like a slug. Has that changed? Is there a free VM? I already am finding that I'm going to have to spend more on Windows 7 than I told him. So spending more money on a VM to run it won't help?

I understand it's 'not compatible' also know how expensive it is... Need to know if it's because of the installation being blocked or another issue. I've got some old installation scripts somewhere when we redeployed all of our installs that might be able to bypass the version check.

On the VM thing, Autocad is already going to be killing resources, not sure it's going to work very well... that would be a better option if it was a workstation with some serious power.

I understand it's 'not compatible' also know how expensive it is... Need to know if it's because of the installation being blocked or another issue. I've got some old installation scripts somewhere when we redeployed all of our installs that might be able to bypass the version check.

On the VM thing, Autocad is already going to be killing resources, not sure it's going to work very well... that would be a better option if it was a workstation with some serious power.

AutoCAD is one of the things we need to run, but it’s a kitten compared to CATIA and PC-DMIS. We don’t use AutoCAD for much except detailing shop drawings, the version we have is pretty old, it will run in 7 but not 8.

I don’t remember what the issues were when I tried CATIA in 8, I think it installed but wouldn’t run, not sure. Runs fine in 7. We have maintenance on it and could probably get it to run in 8, but all our PC’s are 7 Pro.
Autocad isn't a big resource drain like Inventor, CATIA, etc. Best of my knowledge, very few CAD programs run well in Win8. Unless there's some compelling reason not to I've skipped over, I'd just wipe it and start from scratch.

Autocad isn't a big resource drain like Inventor, CATIA, etc. Best of my knowledge, very few CAD programs run well in Win8. Unless there's some compelling reason not to I've skipped over, I'd just wipe it and start from scratch.

austocad is a ram vacuum, especially with civil 3d.  When the scientists were looking at metro maps of drainage and whatnot, those workstations were barely chugging along with raided SSD's and 32 gb of ram (with dual 3+ghz xeons - but the xeon itself wasn't helpful much on that because the app is single thread).  I couldn't imagine what those other programs do, unless they're just multi-thread.

yea we hated autocad so much we moved to solidworks, which runs great in newer systems.  AutoCAD seems to be stuck in 1995.

I got nothing... mirror the drive and load it up with 7.   Or wait a month and see if 10 is any cleaner, 8 is that "off by one" version that runs like crap, so 10 might be the "sweet" version again (since about win 95 every other version has been bad ... roughly). 

austocad is a ram vacuum, especially with civil 3d.  When the scientists were looking at metro maps of drainage and whatnot, those workstations were barely chugging along with raided SSD's and 32 gb of ram (with dual 3+ghz xeons - but the xeon itself wasn't helpful much on that because the app is single thread).  I couldn't imagine what those other programs do, unless they're just multi-thread.

When people say "Autocad", I think old 2D Autocad (which is what I use most frequently).  I forget that people stuck in the 20th century use it for 3D work.  In that case, yes I can imagine it would struggle. Though it's usually more related to graphics performance than CPU/RAM.  If you've got a crappy graphics card, it'll suck up all your RAM trying to make it work. 

Edited by peejman

When people say "Autocad", I think old 2D Autocad (which is what I use most frequently).  I forget that people stuck in the 20th century use it for 3D work.  In that case, yes I can imagine it would struggle. Though it's usually more related to graphics performance than CPU/RAM.  If you've got a crappy graphics card, it'll suck up all your RAM trying to make it work. 

The newer embedded intel chipsets are certainly better than they used to be, but it's a fools errand to try 3d modeling/rendering on one. OP said he had an MSI gaming laptop though. It's likely got an nvidia or AMD card.