Walking Dead Season 6 Trailer

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but with almost everyone in the world dead and turned wouldn't the people in the walking dead universe be dead by now from nuclear fallout from the nuclear plants melting down spreading fallout?

They are designed to shut down by themselves with backup power after a certain time interval with no input or dangerous condition and whatever. Supposedly several layers of redundancy. Don't swim in the spent fuel rod pools, though. :)

Oh course, Russian ones might still require the last man out to flip a switch, so hopefully he's not already a Zed. :)

But even a meltdown doesn't cause a nuclear bomb. There might be a local explosion, but not a nuclear one. Lots of radiation released, and for thousands of years in the area too, but not traveling "fallout" in the sense of a thermonuclear bomb.

For an idea of scale, the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone is "only" about 18 mile radius. I'd at least double it myself, though. :)  I guess at least a simple Geiger counter would be a handy item, though.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

They are designed to shut down by themselves with backup power after a certain time interval with no input or dangerous condition and whatever. Supposedly several layers of redundancy. Don't swim in the spent fuel rod pools, though. :)

Oh course, Russian ones might still require the last man out to flip a switch, so hopefully he's not already a Zed. :)

But even a meltdown doesn't cause a nuclear bomb. There might be a local explosion, but not a nuclear one. Lots of radiation released, and for thousands of years in the area too, but not traveling "fallout" in the sense of a thermonuclear bomb.

For an idea of scale, the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone is "only" about 18 mile radius. I'd at least double it myself, though. :)  I guess at least a simple Geiger counter would be a handy item, though, as average guy like me probably wouldn't be able to tell if a power plant had been compromised or not just by looking at it.

- OS

My house is inside 15nm of Sequoyha, so a Geiger counter might be handy for me when the zeds start marching. Reminds me... I read an interesting article earlier today that animals are really starting to thrive again at Chernobyl. They're probably twice as big and glow, but staying alive. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/animals-return-to-chernobyl/

dayum, Mac, you always have the answers

I know a little about much but much about only a little.  ;)

edit to add:

Far as nuke stuff, I was contracted to do enviro training related things off and on for a few years with DOE weapons plants and labs all over the country, tangentially involved power plants too -- some of it stuck, just like names of old movie stars and other garbage brain filler that has done me soooo much good over the years.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1