How low is too low???

i have an elderly woman whose husband died last year. She had a private auction and got rid of alot of his reloading equipment. The widow is giving me and a friend of mine a chance to buy everything else. My question is what is considered reasonable offering. This lady is not selling this stuff for the money, she clearly stated that she wants it to go to someone that will use it and carry on her husbands love for the shooting sports. My wife is not working right now so money is a little tight and I want to get a good deal but not insult her as well. Thanks for your opinions. This is some pricey stuff...Progressive loaders, dies brass...I don't have a complete list yet. Goign to look at tomorrow to make an offer.

You know I think both her and her late husband would rather you had it and used it than someone else getting it to resale. I would just offer what you can. I had the same happen when our elderly neighbors moved but they needed the money badly so I wouldn't even try an offer because I couldn't give them what they could get at a sale. Edited by Monkeyman2500

You know I think both her and her late husband would rather you had it and used it than someone else getting it to resale. I would just offer what you can. I had the same happen when our elderly neighbors moved but they needed the money badly so I wouldn't even try an offer because I couldn't give them what they could get at a sale.

I have been told that is what the situation is. I have been reloading with a single stage press for a couple of years now and this equipment would let me shoot a lot more just due to time constraints. Thanks for the vote of confidence

JTM
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I once bought a gun collection from a lady who inherited them from her deceased brother. I went to her house and gave her the approximate retail value of each piece. I explained to her that selling items at retail involved a good deal of work.

Turns out she just wanted them gone, and seemed happy for me to get them. She asked what I'd offer for them, I gave her a number well below what they were worth. She seemed pleased and accepted the offer, with full knowledge the guns were worth much more than I paid for them. In the end, she got rid of the guns without a hassle, and I got a screaming deal on some pieces I otherwise never would have owned.

I say all that to say this: be honest and upfront with this lady. Explain to her the real value of what she has, and that you aren't in a position to pay retail for it. You just might get a deal as well.

• Like 6
  • 5 weeks later...

I say all that to say this: be honest and upfront with this lady. Explain to her the real value of what she has, and that you aren't in a position to pay retail for it. You just might get a deal as well.

^ This 100% The added benefit of being honest and upfront is you get to sleep well at night no matter which way the deal goes. If you passed away would you want someone to scam your wife, or be honest with her?

I have been involved in the mass sale of reloading stuff before. People were offering roughly 1/2 for the items being sold unless it was something special or rare. 1/2 is a good place to start and go UP if it is something you really want or if you know it isn't something you see everyday.

But don't be afraid to offer her less but, as gregintenn as said, let her know why you are offering less. Let her know you are not offering less because it is worth less but because you want to be able to buy more stuff to carry on reloading like her late husband did.

Fortunately the prices will probably be on the side of most things, just cut that number in half and make an offer.

And if we are close I can come out and help you get a fair price on things as well as price the stuff you don't want so the lady does not get screwed over.