Taurus / Rossi Circuit Judge Carbine Buttstock Cracks...Splitting!

I have a very low round count, in the box, Taurus / Rossi Circuit Judge that has developed hairline cracks where the buttstock joins the receiver/frame. Has anyone been through getting a replacement stock from Taurus, that could give me some advice on the process...what to do...and what not to do...turn around times, and that sort of thing. Taurus has a "lifetime warranty", so I believe they will replace it at no cost to me... maybe shipping the damaged stock to them. Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

Long story and I won't go into it now, but Taurus will ask you to return the entire firearm for repair. I'm in process of getting a Pt111 repaired/replaced.

On the upside though, Taurus will send a pickup for the gun.

I'm interested to hear how this turns out. I have one of these as well, but no cracking that I've noticed thus far. Do you have the wood or plastic stock?

Danger Rane, mine is the wood buttstock. I have not heard of any problems with the synthetic stock set. I'm just partial to wood on guns, even though it is much more fragile. Just old fashioned I guess... but I like the composite stuff on my Bushmaster AR.
  • Like 1

Long story and I won't go into it now, but Taurus will ask you to return the entire firearm for repair. I'm in process of getting a Pt111 repaired/replaced.

On the upside though, Taurus will send a pickup for the gun.

Hipower, hate to hear that I may have to send the entire firearm to them. I was trying to do the online "chat" thing with them, and thought I understood that I could just send the buttstock. But... I may have been online with the guy on a bicycle in India! I'm hoping someone on here has had a good experience with a live person, there onsight at Taurus, and may be able to give me a name of someone that will work with me.
If you bark enough you can get around sending the gun in. I had a Rossi M92 that I needed a new HG band and they wanted the whole gun. I barked enough and made my case about transfer fees etc. And they finally just sent me the parts.

Good side is their warranty actually works and they will take care of it. It's not the fastest but it is a LOT faster since they moved everything to FL. Edited by Smith

If you bark enough you can get around sending the gun in. I had a Rossi M92 that I needed a new HG band and they wanted the whole gun. I barked enough and made my case about transfer fees etc. And they finally just sent me the parts.

Good side is their warranty actually works and they will take care of it. It's not the fastest but it is a LOT faster since they moved everything to FL.

Good for you, buddy. Glad someone got over on them.

As it turns out, I'm actually getting a new gun from them. Seems there's some sort of recall on the PT111.

Good side is their warranty actually works and they will take care of it. It's not the fastest but it is a LOT faster since they moved everything to FL.

Smith, you have a name of someone to work with at Taurus? It just seems foolish to have to send the whole gun, especially a long gun, in just to get a stock replacement. A few years back, they sent me some safety parts for a PT22, but I've forgotten who I delt with. I was pleased with the service then. Sure hope this one works out ok too.

Smith, you have a name of someone to work with at Taurus? It just seems foolish to have to send the whole gun, especially a long gun, in just to get a stock replacement. A few years back, they sent me some safety parts for a PT22, but I've forgotten who I delt with. I was pleased with the service then. Sure hope this one works out ok too.

No, it's just the luck of the draw. I did have to call a couple times to get someone who would work with me.

I'm interested to hear how this turns out. I have one of these as well, but no cracking that I've noticed thus far. Do you have the wood or plastic stock?

Danger Rane, I'm curious as to what stock set you have and how many rounds you've put through it. I'm not totally sure, but I kinda think that possibly shooting the 3" high power heavy loads may have cracked mine. I've shot both them and some 45 Colt (Long Colt) through it. Not sure what kind of wood these stocks are made of...but it's not very strong. They have a stock set called Tuffy, I believe, that's composite...plastic. Never saw one in real life, but pics don't look too bad.

Danger Rane, I'm curious as to what stock set you have and how many rounds you've put through it. I'm not totally sure, but I kinda think that possibly shooting the 3" high power heavy loads may have cracked mine. I've shot both them and some 45 Colt (Long Colt) through it. Not sure what kind of wood these stocks are made of...but it's not very strong. They have a stock set called Tuffy, I believe, that's composite...plastic. Never saw one in real life, but pics don't look too bad.

I have the Tuffy stock. It is a black composite that doesn't look super sexy but is fairly functional for my purposes. The only thing I don't like is the extremely short length of pull. I'm not sure if it was originally intended for use by little people or what but it is way to short for the average adult male. The wood stock versions that I've fondled have closer to normal LoP, so I'm not sure what the deal is with these Tuffys. That being said I originally purchased this for my wife to use on slithery things as needed, and to use in teaching the kids, but like most guns I've bought for them I end up shooting it the most. I have 81 rounds through it right now. 55 of those are .45 Long Colt. 5 were 2 3/4 .410 slug, which I won't buy again as they cost as much as my .45 rounds but can't compare in accuracy. 10 were 2 3/4 #4 Shotshells, and 11 were 3" #4 Shotshells (The last of which was a 20' headshot on a turkey). Despite the short LoP I've had a lot of fun shooting it, and recoil with everything we've shot is minimal. One neat feature that might be specific to the Tuffy stock is a compartment in the buttstock that holds 5 additional rounds. Really enjoyed the gun so far, sorry yours is having issues. Let us know how this works out, I'm hoping they make it right for you.

I have the Tuffy stock. It is a black composite that doesn't look super sexy but is fairly functional for my purposes. The only thing I don't like is the extremely short length of pull. I'm not sure if it was originally intended for use by little people or what but it is way to short for the average adult male. The wood stock versions that I've fondled have closer to normal LoP, so I'm not sure what the deal is with these Tuffys. That being said I originally purchased this for my wife to use on slithery things as needed, and to use in teaching the kids, but like most guns I've bought for them I end up shooting it the most. I have 81 rounds through it right now. 55 of those are .45 Long Colt. 5 were 2 3/4 .410 slug, which I won't buy again as they cost as much as my .45 rounds but can't compare in accuracy. 10 were 2 3/4 #4 Shotshells, and 11 were 3" #4 Shotshells (The last of which was a 20' headshot on a turkey). Despite the short LoP I've had a lot of fun shooting it, and recoil with everything we've shot is minimal. One neat feature that might be specific to the Tuffy stock is a compartment in the buttstock that holds 5 additional rounds. Really enjoyed the gun so far, sorry yours is having issues. Let us know how this works out, I'm hoping they make it right for you.

Apparently this is a pretty common problem...as evidenced by the posts on the Internet. Had the stocks been made from walnut, I doubt there would be any problem. I'm a procastenator, so I haven't dilligently sought out a person to work with me at Taurus. I'd just like to remove my cracked stock and send it to them as an exchange for a new one.

The shell holder feature is probably limited to the Tuffy configuration.

I just wish Taurus would send me a new buttstock, with a mailer that I could tape onto the box, to send the cracked stock back to them in.

Obviously the company will replace the stock, but the downside as already discussed is they'll want the entire gun returned. All that you should be out is some personal time and not having access to the rifle. But FWIW the repair of that stock isn't that difficult and once done will be GTG for the duration. Find some brass wood screws, purchase some Accra glass and be prepared to sand and refinish the stock. By all means do what you want to do but I suspect the replacement stock will eventually split in the same place as the first one did.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Obviously the company will replace the stock, but the downside as already discussed is they'll want the entire gun returned. All that you should be out is some personal time and not having access to the rifle. But FWIW the repair of that stock isn't that difficult and once done will be GTG for the duration. Find some brass wood screws, purchase some Accra glass and be prepared to sand and refinish the stock. By all means do what you want to do but I suspect the replacement stock will eventually split in the same place as the first one did.

TNWNGR, thanks for the information. I haven't been on the forum for a while.

One statement you made caught my attention...about the new stock possibly splitting too. This does concern me as I like the little gun, and had hoped to enjoy it for a long time. Boyds probably makes a dependable stock for it, but I don't want to have to pay for something that is covered under the Taurus warranty.

If there is anyone on this forum from Taurus, please post and help me swap my cracked stock for a new one!