Camera Buffs

Thoughts on this? Seems pretty cool.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1085783-REG/kodak_sl25_bk_sl25_smartphone_lens_with.html

Sony makes one too, which looks a little more compact, but doesn't seem to have as nice of a software interface.

I pretty much only use my phone to capture the moments of my kiddos at this point, and don't desire to lug around a big DSLR. I'm at a crossroads about something like this vs a GoPro. I've had iPhone and now have a Galaxy S5 active (spend a lot of time fishing and like the waterproof), bit the camera is just plain slow... and I know it's just a phone... but it doesn't handle HDR situations well at all (neither does my wife's iPhone 6 really)

I like the zoom... and I suspect that it would do better in challenging light situations than a GoPro.

Have any of you ever used one of these?
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use my GoPro for pretty much everything these days...took it to the Bahamas and took 96 pictures and probably 20 videos. Took maybe 5 pictures with my phone and I've got a Note 4 so its not a low end phone...its got arguably one of the best cameras on the phone market and I still prefer the GoPro most of the time.

I have a Hero3 Black so its a pretty nice one. Records in 4k as well.

Yeah, I'm really torn... I know the gopro would be more versatile in general due to it being waterproof.... but I bet this would take better pictures

What are you trying to do with it? One camera will not fill every need for the average person. I have a DSLR, a GoPro, a point and shoot, and a Note 4 with a great camera.

When I know I'm going to be outside playing around its the go pro in a case.

When I'm at car shows or something like that its my Note 4 or DSLR.

When I'm shooting high quality stuff its obviously the DSLR.

What are you trying to do exactly because a go pro doesn't really have zoom capabilities and it looks like you want that functionality. I'm basing that off of the lens you posted.

Good point.... I'm mainly wanting something easy to carry that I can use to take good pics and videos of my kiddos.... park, zoo, scootering, beach... yada yada. Something better than the phone camera, but not a DSLR... too big and expensive. I might be getting the Sony QX30.... more I read the more I like it.

Hopefully get a GoPro before hunting season maybe.

I would think one of the better point and shoots, would be a lot more versatile and easier to handle. Nikon Coolpix and Cannon Powershots have produced some amazing images. They are small and light enough you can toss one in your shirt pocket when you go somewhere.

A Sony DSC-RX100 has been a bit of a standard for pocket cameras for the past few years, newest models not cheap, but the older models may be found on the used market. Anything that requires you to pair it with your smart phone to be able to take a picture or video would become a hassle, plus be useless once your smartphone battery dies or when it's in use. The beauty of having an external camera is that your phone is free to be, well, a phone.

http://www.engadget.com/products/sony/cyber-shot/dsc-rx100/

http://reviews.gizmodo.com/sony-rx100-mark-iv-review-a-great-camera-for-a-ridicul-1717804368

Good point.... I'm mainly wanting something easy to carry that I can use to take good pics and videos of my kiddos.... park, zoo, scootering, beach... yada yada. Something better than the phone camera, but not a DSLR... too big and expensive. I might be getting the Sony QX30.... more I read the more I like it.

Hopefully get a GoPro before hunting season maybe.

Get which ever brand point/shoot camera suits your fancy and budget. They're all quite capable of doing exactly what you want. If you're willing to reduce your zoom needs, the camera will be about half the size of your phone.