Shootings in Chattanooga and Cleveland?!?!

No my approach is not the gun control approach, but rather personal responsibility. 

When you as an individual sell/trade to Joe Smole, he may give you the necessary credentials and such, but yet he may not be 100% truthful or he may be genuine and trade your piece on down the road to someone without the same due diligence that you had.  I get this is all legal and such, and I am not advocating this practice to stop, but for "ME" and "ME" alone, I just don't care for the personal responsibility or potential scrutiny that may come from a investigation.  I take gun ownership very serious both as a right to own, but also the great responsibility of disposition if and when this separation has to occur.  

When I was young, I use to dabble in guns before I became a FFL, and then I made a living for a while as a FFL over 20 years ago.  Being a FFL is different than selling/trading as a individual (my opinion the legal risk is less for FFL), but as an individual the reason people get rid of their guns are to either to flip it with a margin, get rid of a regret gun for another gun, trade up using negotiating skills, or just cash out.  I for one don't need to flip a gun for a $50 margin here or there, cash out, or trade, my nutty reasons to keep them all include I really have a great passion for each gun I own, each gun I own has a story, and finally because I think the personal liability potential (not worried about criminal liability) in a civil matter as well as a conscious guilt matter is too much for this backwoods gun nut guy to take.  So no trades, no sell, no risk!  My respectful collection will be passed on to my sons with some level of piece of mind.  

So gun control, no, on the contrary, just plum nutty! :screwy:

While I understand your decision, I do not feel the same way. Just like when you sell a car, if the new owner gets drunk and kills someone with it, it is no reflection on you. A gun is a tool, albeit a deadly tool, which in and of itself can't harm anyone. As long as you do your due diligence, your responsibility ends there. I have sold/traded less than 5 weapons, but that's just because I don't like getting rid of any. Three can be traced to me through an FFL and if asked I can remember the circumstances under which I got rid of them but no names except the 12guage slug gun I recently traded for another rifle. If it ever turns out they get used in a deadly crime, I will feel no guilt over it, sad for the victims yes, but no guilt.

If a member of the United States Armed Forces, especially one that is extensively trained in the use of small arms, cannot safely handle a pistol in public, then there is something radically wrong with our training establishment. I don't think for a minute that this is any more of a safety issue than for a police officer to carry one. Give them the damn guns.

http://news.yahoo.com/u-navy-recruiter-shoots-himself-leg-georgia-215310697.html

When I went through bootcamp we shoot less than 5 rounds of 9mm. Extensively trained is one thing, a blanket armed forces thing is another.

Not sure about the Marines, but we in the Army do not get handgun training in basic. And until I got into special ops, handguns were only assigned to the CDR, 1SG and Plt Leaders. But that does not mean that training can't be scheduled ASAP for at least those in isolated (not on a base) locations. And they could quickly just allow those that already have a CCW carry immediately, the rest once qualified.

Well, the military uses civilian contractors for a lot of things, these Marines, Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen stationed at small offices and recruitment centers in cities across the country could be trained by the many civilian or police training centers for handgun defense, paid for by the government. Also, start right now with a change of military policy to increase training to include handgun training, weapons training and qualification at least once a month no matter what their MOS is weather they are a cook or clerk etc. All military personnel should be a fighting soldier first and foremost.

• Like 2

Pisses me off that one of the soldiers had time to send his girlfriend a text that said, "ACTIVE SHOOTER." If you have enough time to send a text message, you have more than enough time to pull a gun and return fire. Sick of our government forcing the military AND civilians to be sitting ducks.

• Like 8

Pisses me off that one of the soldiers had time to send his girlfriend a text that said, "ACTIVE SHOOTER." If you have enough time to send a text message, you have more than enough time to pull a gun and return fire. Sick of our government forcing the military AND civilians to be sitting ducks.

Well I personally REFUSE to be a sitting duck.

• Like 1

???

He was a TN resident. Any other TN resident who sold him a gun would have done so within the law. Matter of fact, he had no disqualifying history that would have negated a purchase from an FFL either.

Maybe he had an HCP, too.

- OS

You have to read my post in the context of the response it was to.  It had nothing to do with him being legally sold a gun or not from anyone on here, it was to say that as careful as people are on this board, if they had sold the guy a gun, they would have known about it instantly and not be running around curious if it was one of their previous deals.

or an ATGM.  Good grief, these people are in charge of multi-million dollar pieces of equipment that could single handedly flatten a village and they're not allowed to carry, or be trusted with a god damn sidearm?

Edited by Sam1
  • Like 1

or an ATGM.  Good grief, these people are in charge of multi-million dollar pieces of equipment that could single handedly flatten a village and they're not allowed to carry, or be trusted with a god damn sidearm?

Something seems a little fishy about his weapons, not much being said where he got them. I still think there would be plenty of liberals screaming gun control now like with the church shooting but nothing is being said at all.

Wonder if any of those missing Fast and Furious guns have been smuggled back from Mexico.

Edited by K191145
  • Like 1

Something seems a little fishy about his weapons, not much being said where he got them. I still think there would be plenty of liberals screaming gun control now like with the church shooting but nothing is being said at all.

Wonder if any of those missing Fast and Furious guns have been smuggled back from Mexico.

A shotgun, two rifles, and a handgun. (one of the rifles was at his home, the other three were with him). We seem to know that the rifle used was an AK and the handgun was 9mm.

"Reinhold said earlier Friday that "some of the weapons were purchased legally and some of them may not have been.""

- OS

I actually tally that up to being in TN and not gun grabbing liberal land somewhere. The people here understand this was the fault of a person, not a 30 round magazine clip assault rifle with automatic bayonrts, and they don't want to fuel the idiot gun grabber frenzy.

I actually tally that up to being in TN and not gun grabbing liberal land somewhere. The people here understand this was the fault of a person, not a 30 round magazine clip assault rifle with automatic bayonrts, and they don't want to fuel the idiot gun grabber frenzy.

But you would thing the regulars would have said something already like they did after the Church shootings.

Oh Shoot: 

"Reinhold said earlier Friday that "some of the weapons were purchased legally and some of them may not have been.""

I wonder about the "some that may not have been". It's just a little strange to me that there hasn't been the usual, predictable anti-gun rhetoric. Now I don't know what comments have been made on MSNBC or CNN but I never watch them anyway.

But you would thing the regulars would have said something already like they did after the Church shootings.

I wonder about the "some that may not have been". It's just a little strange to me that there hasn't been the usual, predictable anti-gun rhetoric. Now I don't know what comments have been made on MSNBC or CNN but I never watch them anyway.

The regulars are on thin ice as a lot of people are asking questions about why marines are unarmed.

They don't know where the guns came from yet, is my take on the second bit.   Why the guy didn't just say "investigation is ongoing on the others" is beyond me.   But some folks get a little dumb in front of a camera or when being pestered, could be the "media effect".  They also cut and chop on interviews ... he could have been led to say that by biased questions that were cut out... who knows.

Edited by Jonnin

I read an article that the organization Oath Keepers sent members from the state of Arkansas to every recruiting office to act as security in case anyone else tried to copy cat what took place in Chattanooga. They said the Oath Keepers will remain at all Recruiting Stations there until they felt any threats were over. My hats off to the Oath Keepers in Arkansas for their fast response to protect our unarmed military Personnel................jmho

• Like 3
I could care less where or how he got his guns, or what type of gun he used. Gun control, arming the military on base, nothing will stop a person set on killing a bunch of people. Most of these shooters know they are going to die; and are okay with that. It’s simply a matter of how many people they kill before someone kills them.

Of course the anti-guns nuts are going to use this. But you know what? It’s not working. We aren’t having our gun rights reduced; they are being expanded most everywhere you look. Illinois now has carry and Tennessee allows carry in a car without an HCP. I think most people, even if they don’t want to carry, understand that the risk of being in a mass shooting is increasing; they want some chance other than waiting on the Police to respond.

I see the only chance of being able to slow this down is for law enforcement to be proactive instead of having to wait for a shooter to start dropping bodies.