Good gun control talk after yesterday's shooting!

Sullivan County Tn: http://www.timesnews.net/article/9089735/shootings-in-chattanooga-spur-sullivan-debate-on-guns-in-courthouse

BLOUNTVILLE — At a work session Thursday evening, some Sullivan County commissioners cited shootings at two military recruitment offices in Chattanooga earlier in the day to question a ban on firearms in the historic Sullivan County Courthouse.

Commissioner Baxter Hood raised the issue first. Hood said the doors to the recruitment centers where the shootings occurred displayed signs prohibiting guns inside. Hood said it is a similar situation to signs on the courthouse doors. Those signs are warnings that all weapons, including guns, are prohibited from the building, which houses several county government offices frequented by the public.

The building also is home to regular meetings of the Sullivan County Commission and its various committees. Hood said the signs signal “there is no protection here for you.” Commissioner Sherry Grubb said she — as a licensed handgun owner — wanted to commend Hood for bringing the issue up.

“We all know there is not a criminal that comes through that door that reads that,” Grubb said.

Grubb said the safety of those who work in the courthouse “is in jeopardy” because county commissioners will not allow them to have their guns.

After the meeting adjourned, Commissioner John Crawford could be heard telling Grubb he supported her 100 percent.

Grubb said the signs on the courthouse doors should say no illegal weapons.

In August 2013, most then-Sullivan County commissioners indicated in a resounding vote that they did not want “no weapons permitted” signs removed from the doors of the courthouse.

The commission voted 22-1 that month to “table” consideration of a resolution some said seemed aimed at getting those signs removed.

Hood was lead sponsor of that resolution, which originated with the question of who had authority over the building for maintenance and cleaning matters. Early in the resolution’s consideration, Hood said a “yes” vote would mean “take those signs off the door” and also “this is no longer a courthouse.”

However, when asked on the morning of the vote if the intent of the resolution was to allow people to bring guns to the courthouse, Hood said “no.” Hood was then asked what, then, was the purpose of the resolution. Hood first said he was not the person to answer that question.

The commissioner asking pointed out Hood was the resolution’s sponsor. Hood then said the resolution was meant to address two concerns: maintenance and cleanup of the building, and the signs banning weapons. “I am certainly a supporter of Second Amendment rights,” Hood said. “I am for guns.”

Hood said he doesn’t think any citizen should be denied entry to the building because they have a gun.

Really? A politician with some sense :)

Sullivan County Tn: http://www.timesnews.net/article/9089735/shootings-in-chattanooga-spur-sullivan-debate-on-guns-in-courthouse

BLOUNTVILLE — At a work session Thursday evening, some Sullivan County commissioners cited shootings at two military recruitment offices in Chattanooga earlier in the day to question a ban on firearms in the historic Sullivan County Courthouse.

Commissioner Baxter Hood raised the issue first. Hood said the doors to the recruitment centers where the shootings occurred displayed signs prohibiting guns inside. Hood said it is a similar situation to signs on the courthouse doors. Those signs are warnings that all weapons, including guns, are prohibited from the building, which houses several county government offices frequented by the public.

The building also is home to regular meetings of the Sullivan County Commission and its various committees. Hood said the signs signal “there is no protection here for you.” Commissioner Sherry Grubb said she — as a licensed handgun owner — wanted to commend Hood for bringing the issue up.

“We all know there is not a criminal that comes through that door that reads that,” Grubb said.

Grubb said the safety of those who work in the courthouse “is in jeopardy” because county commissioners will not allow them to have their guns.

After the meeting adjourned, Commissioner John Crawford could be heard telling Grubb he supported her 100 percent.

Grubb said the signs on the courthouse doors should say no illegal weapons.

In August 2013, most then-Sullivan County commissioners indicated in a resounding vote that they did not want “no weapons permitted” signs removed from the doors of the courthouse.

The commission voted 22-1 that month to “table” consideration of a resolution some said seemed aimed at getting those signs removed.

Hood was lead sponsor of that resolution, which originated with the question of who had authority over the building for maintenance and cleaning matters. Early in the resolution’s consideration, Hood said a “yes” vote would mean “take those signs off the door” and also “this is no longer a courthouse.”

However, when asked on the morning of the vote if the intent of the resolution was to allow people to bring guns to the courthouse, Hood said “no.” Hood was then asked what, then, was the purpose of the resolution. Hood first said he was not the person to answer that question.

The commissioner asking pointed out Hood was the resolution’s sponsor. Hood then said the resolution was meant to address two concerns: maintenance and cleanup of the building, and the signs banning weapons. “I am certainly a supporter of Second Amendment rights,” Hood said. “I am for guns.”

Hood said he doesn’t think any citizen should be denied entry to the building because they have a gun.

I'm glad the discussion was started but as I read it they aren't planning to do anything that will allow folks to carry in the building. They just want to change the sign to say "no illegal weapons" which does nothing really. It's still illegal to carry a gun in there. If Grubb said she wants carry in the building to not be illegal she's going to have to do more than change the wording of the sign.

Edit: as stated below I was wrong.  :pleased:

Edited by maroonandwhite

It's still illegal to carry a gun in there.

Why? If there's no sign (or one simply saying "no illegal weapons", why would it be illegal to carry there? Courthouses are NOT off limits by TCA. That's a common misconception. 39-17-1306 doesn't ban carry in courthouses. It bans weapons from any room where a judicial proceeding is occuring. You can carry in a courtroom if court is not in session and you can't carry in a McDonald's if a judge is there presiding over something in an official judicial capacity. Since there are many rooms in a county courthouse where a judge is NOT running a judicial proceeding, all of those rooms would be OK to carry. Since the building's entrances are currently posted, no carry is allowed under 39-17-1359, but not because it's a courthouse.

Edited by monkeylizard

Why? If there's no sign (or one simply saying "no illegal weapons", why would it be illegal to carry there? Courthouses are NOT off limits by TCA. That's a common misconception. 39-17-1306 doesn't ban carry in courthouses. It bans weapons from any room where a judicial proceeding is occuring. You can carry in a courtroom if court is not in session and you can't carry in a McDonald's if a judge is there presiding over something in an official judicial capacity. Since there are many rooms in a county courthouse where a judge is NOT running a judicial proceeding, all of those rooms would be OK to carry. Since the building's entrances are currently posted, no carry is allowed under 39-17-1359, but not because it's a courthouse.

I stand corrected. I had it in my head that it was a federal building and all that jazz. Now that you say that I remember reading it before. I guess that's just my natural skepticism of politicians showing itself and typing before I think haha. 

In that case I'm glad to hear it and hope they actually do something with this.

Still a politician. Notice he couldn't give a straight answer to a simple question until pressed. Even then he seemed to contradict himself. I would take a principled politician with whom I disagree over one who flaps like a flag in the wind.

• Like 2

Strange as it is, I don't know that I've seen any bloody shirt waving about banning "assault weapons" or "high capacity" magazines this time around. Most of the talk seems to be about letting soldiers carry on post.

I'm sure once the FBI releases their report the shirt waving will commence.

Heard the first call for gun control this morning on CNN.  They thought we needed more stringent gun control in order to keep home grown terrorists from obtaining deadly assault weapons.

I'm surprised it took that long....  :wall:

Heard the first call for gun control this morning on CNN.  They thought we needed more stringent gun control in order to keep home grown terrorists from obtaining deadly assault weapons.

Home grown Terrorists seldom if ever obtain weapons legally to begin with because they don't want to draw attention to themselves. The guy yesterday posted in his year book that his name alone kept him on a no fly list. He was smart enough to know that if he purchased a firearm much less an AK it would surely draw a lot of attention to him. I bet they will find none of his weapons was legally purchased................jmho

The thing is he probably bought them from an individual and there was nothing illegal about it, but you can rest assure the Antis will sound the drumbeat for background checks for all purchases, ban hi-cap mags and anything that resembles an assault weapon.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Heard the first call for gun control this morning on CNN.  They thought we needed more stringent gun control in order to keep home grown terrorists from obtaining deadly assault weapons

Would you expect anything less from CNN? Biggest bunch of butt kissers I've ever seen.

• Like 1