Petition was created that demands military be able to CCW

I thought you were saying it was a bad idea for them to be able to carry their "own" issued military weapon. So I'm not sure if you are against that or not so please clarify.

Weapon bought and issued by the service, no issues with. There would be some some additional requirements on the admin side for small unit leaders, but nothing outright prohibitive to the process.

Getting the chain of command to sign off on it is another matter entirely.

I'd be happy if they let civilians with a permit carry on base or at least leave it in their car.

I agree, they already allow us to take a weapon on post to the range. CC should be the next logical step.

Can someone tell me why EVERY subject always turns to gay/TG/Caitlyn Jenner bashing? We're talking about 4 lives that were taken and how to prevent it from happening again. Who someone is or who they have sex with doesn't apply.

Someone mentioned that public opinion doesn't sway military policy. I was just bringing to light that it does.

I've been told that General Haston of the TNG has expressly forbidden soldiers to carry a weapon at any facility in TN.

My source is good.

Too bad we can't go back in time and take the 4 Marines off that facility and put him there.

• Like 1

Someone mentioned that public opinion doesn't sway military policy. I was just bringing to light that it does.

You know what, you're right. I'm really sorry. I guess by reading that I just got upset. The comments in the other thread plus that one just put me over my daily limit. So again, sorry, nothing personal, it just blows my mind how the topics get so off track.

I love humor but when we are talking about 4 dead soldiers and 3 injured, I just think the "jokes" aren't very respectful to the dead.
I'm all for it. I would have much preffered just being issued an M9 and carrying it with a duty belt and holster. Guard duty officers and Staff NCO'S carry on duty, and of course the gate guards are armed. I will say I do not want to be issued my rifle and have to deal with it all day. I was a helicopter mech and AO and trying to work on a helicopter and keep up with a rifle would be a complete pain in the ass. Also, just a side note, the men who were killed were Marines. It's a personal pride thing for us that we never call ourselves soliders, we are always Marines.

Sent from the backwoods

I've been told that General Haston of the TNG has expressly forbidden soldiers to carry a weapon at any facility in TN.
My source is good.

That is not a surprise. I know for a fact he has several well trained PSD schooled MP's that are on AGR orders serving as on his PSD team. I worked with a guy that was on his team for a couple of years.

Regardless of petitions its not really going to come down to a public decision and the current POTUS isn't likely to be concerned over the matter.

Wonder how he would feel about it if they disarmed all his secret service guards?

• Like 1

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/dc1d5a9e37154b36aaa913a4fde57bf0/army-chief-security-recruiting-posts-will-be-reviewed

A quote from the Army Chief of Staff who said:

"I think we have to be careful about over-arming ourselves, and I'm not talking about where you end up attacking each other," Gen. Ray Odierno, chief of staff of the Army, told reporters. Instead, he said, it's more about "accidental discharges and everything else that goes along with having weapons that are loaded that causes injuries."

That's the culture of military leadership in its purest form.  No doubt in my mind that ND's are the biggest topic at the Pentagon in this debate.  And in that light, of course this happened:

The comments came as Navy officials confirmed a separate incident outside Atlanta, where a recruiter accidentally shot himself in the leg with his personal .45-caliber pistol while discussing the Tennessee shootings with one of his recruits. Officials said he showed the sailor the unloaded gun, then reloaded it and inadvertently discharged it as he was putting it back in his holster.

Yeah, this guy didn't exactly give the best performance for the cause of arming military recruiters.  :shake:

I do agree with it, but there are a bunch of damn limitations as with anything in the military - the Army especially.

In the Land of Puppies and Rainbows, if somehow this got passed; to allow everyone to carry on post - whether personal or government issue, a lot of Div Cdrs, Garrison Cdrs, and leaders down to the Company level will put out policy letters or some sort of crazy packet to make it difficult as hell or only allow certain favored souls to carry. It'll probably be SNCOS and Officers carrying only. 

Then you have ND's, just because we are military doesn't mean we're weapon virtuoso's. That goes for weapons available - my unit right now has all of fifteen M9s. Unless they want us slinging our rifles like we're at JRTC or chilling on a FOB, but I highly doubt we'd ever get live rounds. The ASP's would have a nightmare.

Logistically - so much would have to go into this it'd be a damn nightmare.

The only way it'd be okay is if they said we could open carry M9s or conceal our private arms. Some Commanders right now are bent out of shape over the new uniforms and are trying to prevent people from wearing them - not to mention arming all of your pissed off soldiers who you just made rearrange your motor pool again. Granted, down range we have our weapons on us and could blast each other all we want, but everyone is armed. On post, if you are one of the few that is concealed carrying, there is not much stopping you from busting a cap in you new college LT or your E4 team leader when no one is around.

That is all stuff the Pentagon or whomever would make this decision(s) would take into effect.

Don't see it happening. Maybe for recruiters and AGR, but that's it. IIRC I think Gov Jindal allowed all NG members in his State to carry now.

Edited by CommsNBombs

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/dc1d5a9e37154b36aaa913a4fde57bf0/army-chief-security-recruiting-posts-will-be-reviewed

A quote from the Army Chief of Staff who said:

"I think we have to be careful about over-arming ourselves, and I'm not talking about where you end up attacking each other," Gen. Ray Odierno, chief of staff of the Army, told reporters. Instead, he said, it's more about "accidental discharges and everything else that goes along with having weapons that are loaded that causes injuries."

Has anyone informed the General that there are over 1/2 million civilians in Tennessee alone who have handgun carry permits, most all walking around with loaded weapons? Negligence happens but there's no big epidemic of it, I would think a General would have a little more common sense than that.