Moving to TN - question on concealed carry permit

I have an NC CHP, valid for several more years.

If anyone could shed some light on what and how, I would greatly appreciate any info!

We are moving to TN, do I have to take another course to get a permit in TN? (I am assuming a permit is required)

Can I "use" the NC permit untill this is sorted?

Once I have a TN drivers license does the NC permit become invalid, or disqualified?

Or any other action(s) I need to take?

On the surface it seems TN is a little more gun "friendly" - is this correct?

Thanks much ~ Graham

Welcome to TN. This is from the following website:

http://www.state.tn.us/safety/handgun/apprequirements.shtml

For Persons Holding a Handgun Carry Permit from Other States and Applying for a Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit

ALL handgun permit applicants seeking a new, renewal, or replacement permit must provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency.

If a person with a handgun permit from another state decides to become a resident of Tennessee, such person must obtain a Tennessee handgun permit within six (6) months of establishing residency in Tennessee.

All applicants, regardless of permits issued by another state will be processed as originals. The applicant must be twenty-one (21), complete the Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit application, provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency, pay one hundred and fifteen dollar ($115.00) fee, and be fingerprinted. All applicants, except those with valid permits from New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas must take a DOS approved handgun safety course. Licensing requirements are not included in the reciprocity agreements between states. The mutual recognition of handgun possession privileges between states has not changed and is listed on this website. Edited by spurge
  • Like 1

Welcome to TN. This is from the following website:

http://www.state.tn.us/safety/handgun/apprequirements.shtml

For Persons Holding a Handgun Carry Permit from Other States and Applying for a Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit

ALL handgun permit applicants seeking a new, renewal, or replacement permit must provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency.

If a person with a handgun permit from another state decides to become a resident of Tennessee, such person must obtain a Tennessee handgun permit within six (6) months of establishing residency in Tennessee.

All applicants, regardless of permits issued by another state will be processed as originals. The applicant must be twenty-one (21), complete the Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit application, provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency, pay one hundred and fifteen dollar ($115.00) fee, and be fingerprinted. All applicants, except those with valid permits from New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas must take a DOS approved handgun safety course. Licensing requirements are not included in the reciprocity agreements between states. The mutual recognition of handgun possession privileges between states has not changed and is listed on this website.

Thanks for the information, and the link - it wasn't pulling up when I searched :(

... so more fees and hoops to jump thru for something that is freely gauranteed in The Constitution... oh well

any leads on a good "safety" course?

- the one I took in NC was with a Captain of the County Sherriff's dept (outside work hours) he had a great sense of humor and made it fun :)

Thanks for the information, and the link - it wasn't pulling up when I searched :(

... so more fees and hoops to jump thru for something that is freely gauranteed in The Constitution... oh well

any leads on a good "safety" course?

- the one I took in NC was with a Captain of the County Sherriff's dept (outside work hours) he had a great sense of humor and made it fun :)

What area are you moving to? I know of a couple of different guys that do good work in the Nashville area and are fun and keep it interesting.

I picked up a application from a shop in Greenville yesterday that does 2 a month. I will shop around a little before I sign up. They get $72 for the course. White Sand's Gun and Ammo. There was a pile of flyers at the shop that did an oil change for me.

We will be moving to Erwin (in the East) a little far from Nashville - closest City would be Johnson City/Kingsport

Thanks for the reply tho :)

www.allamericanhandgunschool.com

Rene is really easy going, and informative. She can do a class just for you, or she has discounted group rates. The Unicoi County Sheriff's office used to do a class once a month. I don't know if they still do or not. 423-743-1850 is their non emergency number if you want to check. Welcome to Erwin, you'll love it here. Edited by cgun86

www.allamericanhandgunschool.com

Rene is really easy going, and informative. She can do a class just for you, or she has discounted group rates. The Unicoi County Sheriff's office used to do a class once a month. I don't know if they still do or not. 423-743-1850 is their non emergency number if you want to check. Welcome to Erwin, you'll love it here.

Perfect! Thanks for the info, and a Lady may be a big plus - I may just MAY be able to convince my Wife to take the course too :)

Whilst being strong constitutional minded, she has yet to pick up a gun let alone fire a shot!

We are very much looking forwards to being in Erwin - everyone is so genuinely friendly and polite, even "the teens"

Best Graham

Just don't bring any killer elephants with you.

LoL - no I promise - nothing will be hidden in the trunk - pun intended.

Altho the act was pretty sad - punishement according to human criminal law to an animal that knows nothing but natural law...

What area are you moving to? I know of a couple of different guys that do good work in the Nashville area and are fun and keep it interesting.

I'm in same boat, but in Nashville area/southside. Any recommendations appreciated.

Follow-up question, do you need the TN DL before taking the class and applying for the permit? Issue being, they take your current state DL when you get TN DL and if you can't apply until after getting TN DL, then there is a delta of time where you would not be covered with HCP. 

Thanks,

Follow-up question, do you need the TN DL before taking the class and applying for the permit? Issue being, they take your current state DL when you get TN DL and if you can't apply until after getting TN DL, then there is a delta of time where you would not be covered with HCP.

Thanks,

I would have the TN DL first because you have to input your TN DL information in to a state run site in order to get your confirmation number for the class. Everything is tracked via your confirmation number and your DL number during the process.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk Edited by tennesseetiger

Thanks,

It was my understanding that once you establish your TN residency by getting a DL that you had 6 months that your out of state permit would be accepted....

• 1 year later...
On 7/25/2015 at 6:07 PM, teecro said:

Thanks,

It was my understanding that once you establish your TN residency by getting a DL that you had 6 months that your out of state permit would be accepted....

So does anyone know if this is true ???

I have been digging through the TN law websites and cannot find anything that explicitly says a person can carry with there former states permit for six months.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, nine45s said:

So does anyone know if this is true ???

I have been digging through the TN law websites and cannot find anything that explicitly says a person can carry with there former states permit for six months.

Thanks.

Laws generally state what is illegal, not what is legal, except occasionally as a clarifying point.

Since TN honors all other states' permits,  and there is no law forbidding carry with an out-of-state permit within the first six months of residency,  it logically follows that it is lawful to use another state's permit for that duration, eh?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
2 hours ago, nine45s said:

Thanks OS,

Sometimes it's nice to find that clarifying point though...

Gerry

Where's the clarifying point that with a permit you can carry open carry a handgun?  Or concealed for that matter?

How about whether you can walk down the street with .50bmg rounds on your person?

Or carry a 10" knife?

All of those and thousands of other behaviors are "clarified" by the fact that there is no law prohibiting them.

- OS

20 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

Where's the clarifying point that with a permit you can carry open carry a handgun?  Or concealed for that matter?

How about whether you can walk down the street with .50bmg rounds on your person?

Or carry a 10" knife?

All of those and thousands of other behaviors are "clarified" by the fact that there is no law prohibiting them.

- OS

With as many blasted laws and nuances thereof as there are they ought to just start over and say what is legal.

On 7/19/2015 at 9:09 PM, Jeb48 said:

I picked up a application from a shop in Greenville yesterday that does 2 a month. I will shop around a little before I sign up. They get $72 for the course. White Sand's Gun and Ammo. There was a pile of flyers at the shop that did an oil change for me.

Find the cheapest place that is licensed to give the course.  Sometimes local police departments or sheriff's office will offer a deeply discounted course for residents.

The fact is it's a PITA waste of time, and all that matters if finishing the course which a blind monkey can do.

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 0:21 PM, JayC said:

Find the cheapest place that is licensed to give the course.  Sometimes local police departments or sheriff's office will offer a deeply discounted course for residents.

The fact is it's a PITA waste of time, and all that matters if finishing the course which a blind monkey can do.

Have to disagree.  If the course is done correctly it may in fact provide you with basic knowledge and examples of some things that will cost you many times over the cost of the class.  While you may do your own research, most do not.  Heck, most that take the class will never practice.  Your knowledge of the basic laws and surviving the possible legal battle is as important and potentially life-changing as the physical battle.

• Like 2