.380 Projectiles

Yes, but you need to be careful because the 9mm is very long (usually) and may jam up into the rifling unless seated deeper than is normal.  When seated deeper, as stated, pressure rises rapidly ...  you need to start with very light loads and work up carefully. 

It largely depends on the bullet shape.   If the bullet shape allows it to be seated to normal 380 depth, its easy to make the load.  If it needs to go deeper, it will take some caution.  

I would figure out just how shallow you can seat it to feed/fit your gun via trial and error with a case that has been sized and deprimed and nothing else, then go a half turn deeper and then work on the powder charge from there. 

One other word of caution:  make sure the rounds ALSO fit in your mag properly.  You need to push one round of it all the way to the bottom to be sure it fits.  That longer nose might hose up in some mags.

Thanks for the info everyone. I'll buy a few .380 and compare the two.

probably could save a buck unless you want some 380s for something (they shoot fine in 9mms and light 38s as well as 380). 

took a few measures for you:

the standard 380 90 grain I use is approximately .46 inches.  The JHPs I use are approximately .43 (also 90 gr, gold dot)

the OAL of a loaded 380 is about .985

the length of a case of a 380 is .68 

calculating...

.985 - .68  ~=  0.3 inches.  That is how much of the bullet is sticking out of the case. 

So...  .46 - .3  = .16 inches stuck into the case.  or,  not quite 1/6 an inch.

if that helps. 

Edited by Jonnin

As mentioned by others with more experience than me, there are several variables to watch.  I experimented with several brands of 115 gr bullets in .380 with mixed results.  One of the variables I found was the case brand.  Some cases had a bulge, (ring) near the base of the bullet.  This may have been due to the longer bullet seating deeper into a thicker case and the base of the bullet forcing the walls of the case outward where the case started getting thicker.  With the combinations I tried, the RP cases had the least bulge.  Hope that helps some.  Please let us know your results as several of my friends are also loading 380 and interested in trying the heavier bullets.  Thanks!

Be careful shooting .380 or 9mm bullets out of a 38/357. I once stuck a .355" bullet in a .357" bore. Cost me the price of my fathers gun when I failed to notice and ringed the barrel. Luckily it did not blow up but it definitely ruined the barrel. I could not find a replacement barrel so I just bought the gun and made a 45LC out of it. It was a Italian copy of a Colt SAA and all I could find in the way of replacement parts was a 45 caliber cylinder and barrel.

The bulge often happens from the cases being sized down farther than need be. Doesn't hurt anything to bulge the case with a bullet as long as the bullet is the correct size.

Be careful shooting .380 or 9mm bullets out of a 38/357. I once stuck a .355" bullet in a .357" bore.

this.  I do it, but I am shooting fairly soft LRN that can be squeezed thru safely.  Zero experience with trying it on jacketed, but its always good advice to take care when using a substitute.

I shoot Berry's 100-grainers in my .380s and can use them in a 9mm case as well.  Both give good results.  I think that a heavier weight in a .380 case is an elusive and dicey quest.  Even factory loads stop at 95 grains and I'm sure there's good reasons for that.   If you're looking for a bullet that will satisfy two calibers and not put you into dangerous territory, I'd stop at the 100-grain and be happy, happy, happy.

• Like 2

this.  I do it, but I am shooting fairly soft LRN that can be squeezed thru safely.  Zero experience with trying it on jacketed, but its always good advice to take care when using a substitute.

The bullet got stuck because it was too small allowing gasses to pass by the bullet rather than push it.

I shoot Berry's 100-grainers in my .380s and can use them in a 9mm case as well.  Both give good results.  I think that a heavier weight in a .380 case is an elusive and dicey quest.  Even factory loads stop at 95 grains and I'm sure there's good reasons for that.   If you're looking for a bullet that will satisfy two calibers and not put you into dangerous territory, I'd stop at the 100-grain and be happy, happy, happy.

Excellent advice! :up:

I've loaded and ran some 115 gr 9mm fmj out of an old AMT .380 Backup (late 1980's). I could see no benefit and only potential negatives. I too purchased some 95 gr fmj bullets and used them for both .380 and 9mm with great results, for practice rounds anyway.

:2cents:

I have a bunch of the Berry's 100 grainers too. They seem to work well, but I believe they are about as big a bullet as needs to be in a 380.

• Like 1