U.S. flag not lowered ?

I do not believe it is part of the flag code to lower the flag at the White House because a soldier or soldiers are killed while on duty.

Although Bush is no longer president, and the nightly news doesn't begin each broadcast with a "death count" anymore, you guys do realize we still have troops fighting and being killed on a regular basis in Afghanistan as well as other places?

If the flag was flown at half staff each time a service member died, I expect half staff would be the normal mode of flying.

Please don't think I'm discounting the soldiers' lives. I'm not. I'm just saying that if you want to criticize our president, there is more than ample material to use without knitpicky stuff like this.

You are right as far as not lowering it for our troops overseas, or training accidents or any of the other "standard" way our troops can lose their lives.  But when an incident is out of the ordinary, which this soon may be, then it is not uncommon for the flag to be lowered.  If incidents like sandy hook can have it lowered, then surely an attack such as this merits it as well.  I don't think this president can have even the appearance of disliking our military, and incidents like this do him no favors when he fails to act in an appropriate manner or at least come out and strongly denounce these acts.

• Like 2

Boehner ordered the flag to be lowering this morning I think.

Yep. Speaker of the House of Representative Boehner ordered the U.S. Flag flying over the U.S Capitol building to fly at half staff. That was the final pressure needed to get the skinny Kenyan Shiite in Our White House to roll over and publish the order allowing the U.S. Flag across the country to fly at half staff. Too late by far. Now that we know for sure that the obammunist can be rolled, he should be rolled and rolled all the way down the hill and into the river, where perhaps he will drown.

Edited by QuietDan
  • Like 2

You are right as far as not lowering it for our troops overseas, or training accidents or any of the other "standard" way our troops can lose their lives.  But when an incident is out of the ordinary, which this soon may be, then it is not uncommon for the flag to be lowered.  If incidents like sandy hook can have it lowered, then surely an attack such as this merits it as well.  I don't think this president can have even the appearance of disliking our military, and incidents like this do him no favors when he fails to act in an appropriate manner or at least come out and strongly denounce these acts.

Is this so far out of the ordinary?  I don't think so.  9/11 proved beyond a doubt that attacks inside America are fair game for extremists, and this was by no means the first attack on a recruiting station.  Our "war on terror" (as stupid a name as that is) is still very active in the entire Middle East, and it should be expected that the enemy will fight back.

Recruiters are military personnel, in uniform, doing work that contributes to the war efforts overseas.  By any accepted standard of war, they are legitimate targets.  While I'm saddened by the loss, you and I know that's the risk that comes with wearing the uniform.  The fact that they didn't have a means of self-defense available is a shame on us, not our enemy for selecting a target they can successfully hit.  This was just another day in the long war when you break it down.

If the President wants to order the flag lowered to half-staff, that's on him.  But this situation isn't something that should automatically qualify.

• Like 1

I didn't realize Haslam had called for the flag to be lowered. But if you want the flag honored properly, you should indeed wait for the order from the governor or President. Just like we get pissed when someone dishonors the flag by wearing it as a garment, stepping on it, etc. you should honor it by following the flag code and only lowering it when called to do so. This isn't about Obama. It's about respecting the flag and the code that is in place to ensure consistent handling of it.

I never said or did anything to dishonor the flag and I lowered to half-staff only when the Governor said to do so. I'm not on Federal land and I don't have to wait for  obama to make up his mind, and do the right thing. I also disagree with you, it is about obama and his disrespect of the flag, our troops and the United States. Sorry for the :rant: but I'm tired of this so called leader and his B.S.

Now, after all this time he finally gave the order to lower the flag to half-staff, Sorry, too little too late.  

• Like 1

I never said or did anything to dishonor the flag and I lowered to half-staff only when the Governor said to do so. I'm not on Federal land and I don't have to wait for  obama to make up his mind, and do the right thing. I also disagree with you, it is about obama and his disrespect of the flag, our troops and the United States. Sorry for the :rant: but I'm tired of this so called leader and his B.S.

Now, after all this time he finally gave the order to lower the flag to half-staff, Sorry, too little too late.  

Worse than too little too late, y'all. He waited five days to order the flag to be lowered to half staff in honor of five fallen soldiers, but waited less than a day after the SCOTUS ruling on gay marriage to light up the entire White House like a rainbow. Wow. Words fail me on that one - and that's prolly a good thing.

Edited by EssOne
  • Like 2

Worse than too little too late, y'all. He waited five days to order the flag to be lowered to half staff in honor of five fallen soldiers, but waited less than a day after the SCOTUS ruling on gay marriage to light up the entire White House like a rainbow. Wow. Words fail me on that one - and that's prolly a good thing.

Kinda looks like he doesn't give a rats ass about our military, but wouldn't mind having his tonsils pounded by the spongy helmet.

Is this so far out of the ordinary?  I don't think so.  9/11 proved beyond a doubt that attacks inside America are fair game for extremists, and this was by no means the first attack on a recruiting station.  Our "war on terror" (as stupid a name as that is) is still very active in the entire Middle East, and it should be expected that the enemy will fight back.

Recruiters are military personnel, in uniform, doing work that contributes to the war efforts overseas.  By any accepted standard of war, they are legitimate targets.  While I'm saddened by the loss, you and I know that's the risk that comes with wearing the uniform.  The fact that they didn't have a means of self-defense available is a shame on us, not our enemy for selecting a target they can successfully hit.  This was just another day in the long war when you break it down.

If the President wants to order the flag lowered to half-staff, that's on him.  But this situation isn't something that should automatically qualify.

Though they have been other attacks, I still hold that they are, so far, out of the ordinary.  If that were not the case, then you would think that mass shootings were just the norm seeing how many of them there have been lately.  ATM we expect to lose our guys in battle but not on our soil.  I do see us as legitimate targets though, that is why I say we should be armed and ready for the enemy to bring the fight to us.

Though they have been other attacks, I still hold that they are, so far, out of the ordinary.  If that were not the case, then you would think that mass shootings were just the norm seeing how many of them there have been lately.  ATM we expect to lose our guys in battle but not on our soil.  I do see us as legitimate targets though, that is why I say we should be armed and ready for the enemy to bring the fight to us.

If recruiting stations aren't ready for small arms fire and even IED's, or the powers that be refuse to acknowledge the threat, maybe this event was the kick in the complacency we needed.  People are talking about it now, which is a good thing.  Wouldn't be the first time in military history a successful attack makes the brass take notice and do the right thing well after NCO's and junior officers have been pointing it out.

• Like 2

Yea, putting the WH in colored lights the day of the Supreme Court announcement of gay marriage wasn't out of the ordinary ether. 

It was also a very well executed PR stunt for political reasons.  No way that was a spur of the moment idea, it was planned and on standby for a while.

• Like 1

If recruiting stations aren't ready for small arms fire and even IED's, or the powers that be refuse to acknowledge the threat, maybe this event was the kick in the complacency we needed.  People are talking about it now, which is a good thing.  Wouldn't be the first time in military history a successful attack makes the brass take notice and do the right thing well after NCO's and junior officers have been pointing it out.

You are right, there is but a small silver lining IF they decide to do something about it and not just talk about it until everyone's attention goes to something else..

• Like 1

Because that would make Joe Biden into Mr. President. I don't think a VP has ever served so well as impeachment insurance in the history of this country.

Dan Quayle  Hawaii has always been a very pivotal role in the Pacific. It is in the Pacific. It is a part of the United States that is an island that is right here.

Rules or policy or whatever you call it , The flag , in my opinion , should have been lowered the same day . It would have showed SUPPORT for the families of the soldiers that were killed . I don't care about policy when it comes to good ole down to earth RESPECT.

The families are now hearing that it took this long , almost a week , to lower the flag and I cant imagine how they feel. It's bad enough losing your family member , and even adds more pain when the goverment  that their dead family member worked for  doesn't even show the simplest little respect by doing this the FIRST day it happened.

And that's my $0.02 .

Edited by tercel89
  • Like 2

It was also a very well executed PR stunt for political reasons.  No way that was a spur of the moment idea, it was planned and on standby for a while.

Everything this idiot does is for political reasons.

I think he deliberately avoids satisfying the right-wing of this country or as he puts it, the Bible thumping gun owners who love our military.

He jumps on issues that divide this country at a minutes notice and hold backs on other issues for the sole purpose to keep "US" agitated, and it's working.

His last day in office cannot come too soon.

• Like 2

Sorry if it came across as if I was implying you dishonored the flag. That was never my intention. My intention was simply to point out that the folks who have not flying theirs at half mast are actually doing the right thing. Of course that was before I learned that Haslam ordered it lowered.

Agreed that the wake up call was needed and here's hoping it's heeded. Our soldiers uniforms identify them and make them targets, so how do we identify the enemy amongst us? Here's an idea- every American male shaves their beard lest ye be mistaken for one of them. That's the only uniform the enemy among us wears and would facilitate quick identification. Sure it's silly to think every American male would shave their beard and stay clean shaven but a man can dream I guess. Maybe it'll catch on. About time for the beard to fall out of fashion again anyway.

Did you just declare war on East Nashville hipsters? If so, I'm in!

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1