What's up with all the dragonflies?

jh225

Seems to be a plethora of all kinds of bugs this summer. Wasps, slugs, spiders. Dragonflies. I've even seen Japanese beetles. I haven't seen those in years.

Oddly, but fortunately, I have yet to see the first yellow jacket. It's an odd year. Nature can be funny sometimes.

Well, I jinxed myself. I was mowing the yard (a part that hasn't been mowed all summer), and ran over a yellow jacket nest. Seemed like a big one. I got hit three times. My lower legs are still throbbing.

Killed it with fire (I think). Make sure tomorrow. It was hard to determine where the hole was because the grass was so thick. So I nuked 'em.

Effin' foreign invaders...

They're microdrones.  First they fly around and record your habits, next thing you know, you've been classified as an untrainable and the MRAPS will be showing up soon to shuffle you off to the FEMA death camps.

Bad thing is, there's a 50% chance this comment isn't a joke.

Well, I jinxed myself. I was mowing the yard (a part that hasn't been mowed all summer), and ran over a yellow jacket nest. Seemed like a big one. I got hit three times. My lower legs are still throbbing.

Killed it with fire (I think). Make sure tomorrow. It was hard to determine where the hole was because the grass was so thick. So I nuked 'em.

Effin' foreign invaders...

I had to kill a nest in my front yard a couple weeks ago. Half a gallon of gas and a heavy rock took care of the nest. They never hit me while mowing, which surprised me. 

Yellow Jackets are mean ass little critters and very protective of their nest. Glad you didn't get stung more and were able to do them in. I have only dealt with them a couple times in my life and got stung bad once and then second time I discovered them before hitting nest with mower. Can of Wasp spray for defense to get near the net and 1/2 gallon of gasoline down the whole at just about dark when i knew they would all be in the hive and cooked them. Did not see any the next day.

Yellow Jackets are mean ass little critters and very protective of their nest. Glad you didn't get stung more and were able to do them in. I have only dealt with them a couple times in my life and got stung bad once and then second time I discovered them before hitting nest with mower. Can of Wasp spray for defense to get near the net and 1/2 gallon of gasoline down the whole at just about dark when i knew they would all be in the hive and cooked them. Did not see any the next day.

I went out at about 10 pm, dressed for the occasion and dumped the gas down the hole. I was surprised that not  a single one made it out of the hole while I dumped the gas on them. These were about 5' off my sidewalk, glad I found them before my 2 year old did. 

I had a yellow jacket hit me in the lower eyelid several weeks ago.  I found the nest very quickly...they did not survive for long.  :mad:

I've seen a few more dragonflies around here than normal, but not that many more....

Edited by Falcon1

I was mowing earlier and found another yellow jacket nest, they did not get me! Looks like another Gas party later. I might light this one because it's off in my side yard. I have lived in my house for almost 4 years and this is the first year I have every seen them. I also noticed 4 dragon flies in my garden, I live about 2 miles from the closest river.