Concealed Carry ban

Guest sharpshooter01

Guest sharpshooter01

I have a question for the more politically informed. I know this is a question of the unknown just curious as to what you all think. Do you think that Obama:death: can impose a ban on people who already have a concealed carry permit or do you think if he tries it will be on people who are trying to get a permit? I ask this because I plan on taking the course in Dec., but don't want to waste the money if he is going to put a ban on citizens from having a permit that already have one. Or is this an issue that would be state to state? I will probably just take the course and not worry about it until the time comes, just wanted your opinion on the subject.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

As has been said many times, he probably wont make any attempt at restricting gun owners for at least a year or two. So go ahead and get one while you can at least.

Go ahead. Take the class, enjoy, and apply for the permit if you want.

If an outright Federal ban comes down on HCP's I would think that there would be a grandfather clause as is customary. So you could keep it until time for renewal.

IMHO it's a State's Rights issue. The question is whether or not your state leadership believes the same. I also believe that darn near all issues are States Right issues with the exception of national defense, but then again I am a Southern boy!

Carry permits are done on a state by state. As far as I know the feds don't say anything about carry permits. Looks like if the feds tried to ban hand gun carry it would infringe on states rights. I think we fought a war over states rights. States lost.

Guest gunnutt

i have been told if you have a ccp the nra can use the number of permits to block legislation to ban handguns and permits but i dont know how they do it,so to be on the safe side im going to get mine and probably my wife as well,just my.02,john

i have been told if you have a ccp the nra can use the number of permits to block legislation to ban handguns and permits but i dont know how they do it,so to be on the safe side im going to get mine and probably my wife as well,just my.02,john

Where the heck did you hear that?

Where the heck did you hear that?

In a left-handed way, I guess he means that the more of the voting public that has a carry permit, the less likely it would be for lawmakers to vote for a ban, since the bastids above all want to keep their jobs. (and the NRA can use this as statistical leverage)

- OS

Guest sermon8r
I doubt you'll see an outright ban on carry. That's to much of a frontal assault. Liberals are all about the sneak attacks, like gay marriage, they'll come at you from the rear...

:eek:

:poop::shrug::crazy:

I doubt you'll see an outright ban on carry. That's to much of a frontal assault. Liberals are all about the sneak attacks, like gay marriage, they'll come at you from the rear...

:eek:

Only if..that is IF the Dems. can somehow make HCP/CCP a federal system. Not very likely, but possible...sneaky lil ***kers

Only if..that is IF the Dems. can somehow make HCP/CCP a federal system. Not very likely, but possible...sneaky lil ***kers

I don't think even all democrats want guns completely gone, they just want them regulated to death.

Just like how alot of handgun owners say we don't need hi-cap mags or hunters say we don't need ARs or Aks, there is diversity in the thought process. I always figure they'll regulate us until we say no more.

Guest HexHead

And I was hoping for nationwide recognition of carry permits, just like drivers licenses.

Gun bans, ammo bans, magazine bans, carry permit bans... looks like they are determined to turn me into a criminal. Oh, well. :eek:

In a left-handed way, I guess he means that the more of the voting public that has a carry permit, the less likely it would be for lawmakers to vote for a ban, since the bastids above all want to keep their jobs. (and the NRA can use this as statistical leverage)

- OS

And looking at it in this context (a numbers game) I encourage everybody to get a Non Resident Permit or two from the states that offer them. In addition to the Tennessee HCP, of course.

Guest ChiefSmitty

Not sure about the ban, but I talked the wife into taking the class on Sunday. She should have it anyway. Just a good idea.

Now all I have to do is talk her into more guns, cause that's just a good idea as well.

I am by no means an expert on the workings of the federal or state government or really the overall issue of Firearms, Carry permit and the 2A, but here are my thoughts anyway.

As I imagine most of us know the speed limit, drinking age and many other things are left up to the states to decided. The way the speed limit was (and the drinking age still is) the same nationwide is the federal government ties money to something. Like now, if a state had a drinking age of less than 21 they wouldn't get some sort of federal money (not sure from where). So since the state wants that money, it makes the age 21 although technically it is still up to them.

So I think the only possible way that the federal government could have any control of citizen carry would be withholding some type of federal money from states that allowed it. I really don't think this would be done calling for an all out ban on carry. But no matter what the restrictions or money was, each state could still choose to keep the system they have in place and just not receive what ever money the federal government tied to it.

I also believe SEVERAL states would fight this and not simply say "ok"

So while it could be done, it is not as easy as the simple stroke of a pen by the President.

:koolaid:

:shrug::rofl::P

Guest HexHead

So I think the only possible way that the federal government could have any control of citizen carry would be withholding some type of federal money from states that allowed it. I really don't think this would be done calling for an all out ban on carry. But no matter what the restrictions or money was, each state could still choose to keep the system they have in place and just not receive what ever money the federal government tied to it.

I also believe SEVERAL states would fight this and not simply say "ok"

So while it could be done, it is not as easy as the simple stroke of a pen by the President.

The 21 age limit for drinking was pushed by MADD and involved the federal highway funds.

They could easily start with blackmailing the states to not recognize out of state permits. Most of the population would see that as "victimless". They also wouldn't have to outright ban carry permits, just blackmail the states that are "shall issue" to switch to "may issue" and give the police chiefs and sheriffs discretion and it will be like CA. The new Sheriff in Orange County in CA just notified CCW holders in her county they needed to re-prove need for the permits her predecessor issued and most all will be denied.

Thy have lots of ways they can screw with us.

Guest photo_k0pier

A president himself cannot impose any kind of ban. He can introduce legislation, but Congress still has to pass it. Even though democrats have a majority, many of the recently elected democrats are pretty conservative/moderate democrats. Take for instance my house representative, John Barrow. He won over 67% of the vote in South Georgia (pretty conservative). But he is anti gun control and got the NRA endorsement. I think the very liberal democrats will have a tough time convincing their more moderate counterparts to impose any kind of ban. Although we might see the reemergence of "assault" weapon restrictions. But with the economy in its current state, the country fighting 2 wars, and Obama's other plans (healthcare,etc) I'm not even sure this administration will get to gun control this term.

A more likely scenario: The dems won't touch gun control for the next 4 years, so as not to alienate anyone in their newly formed majority. If the economy improves and they don't alienate anyone, they'll probably have another good election in 4 years...Now in that term, if a lot of the bigger economical issues have been addressed (and thats a BIG if), then we might see more democrat 'pet projects' like gun control.

just a political junkie's $.02

Congress will help keep Obama in check. Obama can't write a single law...he can only sign or veto them. I don't think Congress, even with Democratic majority, can come up with enough votes to hassle gunowners much. Many of the Democrats are actually pro gun...like Sen Warner from Virginia and a Dem Senator from Montana. These guys saw what happened after the 1994 assault weapon ban and the number of democrats that lost seats and they don't want it to happen again.

Thankfully Obama can scream all he wants but he can't just make up his own laws. Another good thing is the majority of firearms carrying laws are STATE not fed laws....so the states can't do anything about disallowing or allowing carry..except the out of state LEO's and of course fed lawmen can carry anywhere on or off duty.