No 2A for Military Recruiters?

Well, Haslam has found a way not to address arming these guys.  Heard on the news last night that he ordered all storefront recruiting stations closed and moved to armories instead of hardening the soft target, he just moved them to another soft target.  While some armories may be behind gates and some security established I know the one here in Clarksville is not all that secure.

• Like 1

I wonder if that's maybe a temporary move. He ordered Adjutant General Max Haston to look into all possibilities for securing the personnel and property of the Guard, including streamlining the process for arming them. I could see relocating the recruiters to the armories for a little while as a precaution. That would secure the people until they can all be properly trained and armed, and give time to harden any other non-armory locations like store fronts.

• Like 1

The only thing Governor Haslam could do is propose that the TCA be amended to be clear that nothing in TN law prohibits military personnel from being armed for defensive purposes to give the federal government no reason to say TN law prohibits it.

There is only so much a state governor can do with regards to federal troops.  The issue of active duty recruiters is a federal issue to solve.  Even if Haslam said they could have any gun they wanted anywhere as of today, they would still be subject to their own service regulations and DoD wide regulations.  And let's just say the brass is less than less than enthusiastic about arming recruiters.

• Like 1

I believe he is considering a run for the presidency in 2020 and a cabinet post in 2016....

I have had similar thoughts. He tries very hard to be where ever a camera might be. And always has something to say, whether it's beneficial or not.

I believe he is considering a run for the presidency in 2020 and a cabinet post in 2016.... 

Hillary ain't gonna put him in her cabinet. :)

Even if GOP wins, I can't see him leaving the governorship early to accept a cabinet post -- too much Palin-esque bad juju for the future to do that.

Seems the likely given is that he'll replace Lamar in the Senate in 2020, and parlay that into any possible presidential bid.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2

This is all crap. Think about it, if anyone wants to do harm, they will. Arming the recruiters will solve nothing unless they have people outside to shake down kids interested in joining the military. Same thing with airports. They give you crap about your liquids and so forth, but you can easily walk right up to the ticket counter, check in and head off to security UNTOUCHED.... once in the security line you can do whatever you want. 

Its all a bunch of BS.. keep your head on a swivel and hope for the best. 

I hate to put it this way, but nothing will stop this crap and you just have to be aware of your surroundings 24/7 and even then, just hope for the best. Stupid will continue to happen.

This is all crap. Think about it, if anyone wants to do harm, they will. Arming the recruiters will solve nothing unless they have people outside to shake down kids interested in joining the military. Same thing with airports. They give you crap about your liquids and so forth, but you can easily walk right up to the ticket counter, check in and head off to security UNTOUCHED.... once in the security line you can do whatever you want. 

I hate to put it this way, but nothing will stop this crap and you just have to be aware of your surroundings 24/7 and even then, just hope for the best. Stupid will continue to happen.

It's not about stopping these incidents, it's about giving them the same rights the rest of us have.  Incidents will continue to happen, there are way too many crazies out there for it not to.  But notice that the number of a mass shootings at locations known to have armed resistance are few if any.  The answer is to harden these targets enough to make them think twice about trying it there.

Actually arming the recruiters will give them a fighting chance. We have been at war for over a decade. Most of our recruiters are veterans of Afghanistan and Iraq. If they have the ability to return fire, at least they might stop the shooter from taking out as many people. It tends to affect ones aim and concentration when rounds start coming back towards them. So while there are crazies everywhere and the best thing you can do is remain alert and ready, we need to be able to take action after we have identified a threat because we were alert and ready.

Sent from the backwoods

It's not about stopping these incidents, it's about giving them the same rights the rest of us have.  Incidents will continue to happen, there are way too many crazies out there for it not to.  But notice that the number of a mass shootings at locations known to have armed resistance are few if any.  The answer is to harden these targets enough to make them think twice about trying it there.

If they are stationed here, they have the same “rights” (if that’s what you want to call them) as the rest of us. They can get an HCP. I’m sure there are plenty of people that would even donate to pay for them, and instructors that would give those classes for free. I don’t think they need an HCP to carry in the office. But it doesn’t help or matter if their Commanding Officers say they can’t be armed.

If they are stationed here, they have the same “rights” (if that’s what you want to call them) as the rest of us. They can get an HCP. I’m sure there are plenty of people that would even donate to pay for them, and instructors that would give those classes for free. I don’t think they need an HCP to carry in the office. But it doesn’t help or matter if their Commanding Officers say they can’t be armed.

No, not really.  They can, and many have, get their HCP but its still against regulation (UCMJ Article 134) to carry a personal concealed firearm while in uniform.  Some may do it anyway, but it is against regulations which carry the force of law.  Add to that that it is also illegal to enter federal property with one and now you have guys that can't be armed.  Again, as seen, some already do, but so do many civilians at work against their bosses wishes.

The fact is that Americans need to wake up to the fact that we are at war with those that wish to change our way of life and are willing to die to do it.  Politicians have no need for more security, most have armed guards and secret service to protect them while at work (some at home too) while our soldiers are left hanging in the wind.  The rest of us have crazed people that may snap at any moment, and criminals that want what we have, and may get caught up in the crossfire of terrorist attacks. We are making decent strides to support our rights to protect ourselves, we should be making the same effort for our soldiers as well.

As I recall, one of the victims was armed with his personal 9mm or 40.  It's not much good when someone is spraying 7.62 x 39 through your windows.  I hear the lad got off a few shots though.  Good for him.  Go out like a warrior, not a sheep.

Regardless of military regulations, dollars to donuts that Reserve and National Guard Centers and NG Recruiting Stations are the most heavily armed sites throughout the United States after last week.  I also bet the same thing is going on at all Federal Recruiting Stations all over the country.  They may not have a firearm on their person, but I bet there is one in the desk drawer that they work at.  I'd say that regulations is the most ignored in the military right now. I also guarantee that if something were to happen like Chattanooga again, there would be no repercussions for any individual service member that happened to return fire with a personal firearm, especially if they ended the firefight right then.

As I recall, one of the victims was armed with his personal 9mm or 40.  It's not much good when someone is spraying 7.62 x 39 through your windows.  I hear the lad got off a few shots though.  Good for him.  Go out like a warrior, not a sheep.

Yes, supposedly two were armed and at least one returned fire.  Not sure if they will report if any of the rounds hit the terrorist or not, or what if any charges are brought against the living one.  While a handgun is not much against a rifle, its much better than a stapler.

I see what you guys are saying.... laws (military regulations) just hinders someones means to protect themselves and those around. The point of my post was that stupid will happen regardless of laws or regs. I fully support our military to be armed. European countries must be laughing at us.... Its sad that civilians are standing guard at recruiting stations.

Arm our recruiters, arm the reserve centers, arm the NG centers, they are military.... trained and should be able to defend when needed. I will get off my soap box now.

Edited by EMB145