I've really done it now

Trying to put my new parts in my XD I put the slide back on and now I can't get it off. I'm able to trip the sear but still can not figure out why it wont go forward. It was a terrible mistake to put the new trigger bar in and reassemble it. If anyone has any ideas on what to do I would appreciate it. Sunfish 

Trying to put my new parts in my XD I put the slide back on and now I can't get it off. I'm able to trip the sear but still can not figure out why it wont go forward. It was a terrible mistake to put the new trigger bar in and reassemble it. If anyone has any ideas on what to do I would appreciate it. Sunfish 

Take it to Sam at Ashbrauners Pawn shop located just up the street from Sheriff's office and jail. He is a great gun smith and he can help you out and doesn't charge much..................jmho

Didn't you call first? I know most firearms related shops do remain open on weekends, but that's not always the case.

The store is open, but Sam has his own schedule. Last time I dealt with him a few years ago he had a young guy that was helping or apprenticing with him.

Sam is about a hundred years old. He's a grumpy f@rt, and works his own schedule. He can fix what ails you though.

The store is open, but Sam has his own schedule. Last time I dealt with him a few years ago he had a young guy that was helping or apprenticing with him.

Sam does have a pretty flexible schedule, I agree. But he's still fighting retiring, so he does maintain a loose schedule. Usually 3 to 3 1/2 days if my information and memory is right.

There have been several people helping with the work, and one may have been his son-in-law.

Sam is about a hundred years old. He's a grumpy f@rt, and works his own schedule. He can fix what ails you though.

This pretty well sums it up. lol I've had several pieces worked on there, no complaints at all. Does bluing as well. Redid an old BDA for me and I'm very happy with the result.

My experience with Sam has been about 50/50 since the new guys have been there. Seeing Jeff at Guns & Leather or Dave Severn's since he relocated to Mt Juliet. Might give the Gunsmith in Lebanon a try also.

can you pop the rear slide plate off the slide and get the gun apart by doing that? I seem to remember having to resort to that once or twice some years back when getting Glock slide on "half way"

Edited by graycrait
  • Like 1

Did you get your kit installed?

No I worked on it about 6 solid hours and in and outed everything over a dozen times. Finally I put the old sear and trigger bar back in with the new trigger spring and new sear spring. I also got the new firing pin and extra power striker spring in and working. The updated ejector is going to have to have a big hunk milled off because those thumb safety springs are in the way.   The striker safety plate and the sear are not working together. I could get it to click but no bang.  I also had to put a brass shim between and the sear and the firing pin along with locking the slide open and pushing the striker safety lever backwards to get the slide back off. The sear is way off. The new trigger bar has no where near enough travel to make the sear drop and I worked off quite a bit. In my opinion either the trigger bar or the sear is wrong. I suspect the sear. I may call the guys at Powder River and talk to them. There is a good reason they don't make kits for the Thumb Safety model I'm just not sure what it is. Sunfish   

I put this kit into a gun without the thumb safety.  I'd give Springer a call tomorrow and see what they say.  If anything, send it to them and let them do it.  It would probably be faster than waiting on a local guy to do it.

After a 30 mile trip for nothing He does not work on Weekends or Wednesday. I finally touched the right piece and it slid off.

Sorry, I was not thinking about it being Saturday or would have mentioned it.............. :wall: :wall: 

The 3 day work week must be a gunsmith thing. Jeff Wahl @ GnL Greenbrier is only there Thursday-Saturday.

This is incorrect. He is there Thursday-Monday. His "weekend" is Tuesday & Wednesday.

Sunday's used to be his get shit done day, and he would lock his door and work without interuption, but I'm not sure that is still the case, I'm not usually there on Sundays.

Edited by Metalhead

This is incorrect. He is there Thursday-Monday. His "weekend" is Tuesday & Wednesday.

Sunday's used to be his get #### done day, and he would lock his door and work without interuption, but I'm not sure that is still the case, I'm not usually there on Sundays.

You need to update your website, because it shows Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.

http://gunsandleather.com/gunsmith/

It's good to know he's there Sunday and Monday, because I have something for him to work on and those other 3 days never seem to work out for me to get up there but Sundays usually do.

Edited by monkeylizard

Sunday's used to be his get #### done day, and he would lock his door and work without interuption, but I'm not sure that is still the case, I'm not usually there on Sundays.

As far as this past week you are also incorrect. If he was there the person at the counter lied and told me if I wanted to leave something they would make sure he got it. I was not going to do that without talking to him.

As far as this past week you are also incorrect. If he was there the person at the counter lied and told me if I wanted to leave something they would make sure he got it. I was not going to do that without talking to him.

You know, for some reason I figured someone would say something like this. I am not incorrect. That is Jeff's schedule. This week however, he had some personal matters to attend to and took off on Friday and Saturday iirc. You sound like the man can't take some time off if he needs to.

I work with Sam. You can always drop off and pick up from the pawnshop Monday through Saturday. Tuesday Afternoon Sam usually leaves around 2 to start blueing. Ill stay around to at least 3 Then start back home to Hermitaqge.

Cheers,

Tad

• Like 1

Daniel, for what ever reason Jeff Walle was thrown into this thread I have no idea. I was talking about Sam. Although I did try to call Jeff and after pushing 4 and no answer I think it would be nice to set your voice mail as to when you will return and allow them an opportunity to leave a message. I have no beef with you or anyone who works at G&L. Sunfish  

Daniel, for what ever reason Jeff Walle was thrown into this thread I have no idea. I was talking about Sam. Although I did try to call Jeff and after pushing 4 and no answer I think it would be nice to set your voice mail as to when you will return and allow them an opportunity to leave a message. I have no beef with you or anyone who works at G&L. Sunfish  

Ahhh my bad then. Looks like I have things to work on this morning.

I had a conversation with Kyle @ Springer and the problem is that the striker must be ground off so that it's slightly lower than the sear. He explained that they only see about 4 or 5 thumb safety models per year. He was not aware that their beefed up ejector had to be modified to clear the springs for the thumb safety.

That was the reason I used Springer Precision because they were the only one that offered a kit for the thumb safety models.  I decided to leave that pistol (45) alone.  The main problem with it is just a long reset.  Thanks for sharing the information.