Mowers

none

Anyone have any experience with Huskvarnas? We are lookingat one of their Zero Turns. Seems like the deck is not as heavy duty as some? But it has a 10 year warranty on the deck. On our Crap Cadet the deck spindle mounts rusted away. Right after I bought a new belt plugs fuel filter and changed the oil and filter. Good old MTD.
I have a Husqvarna tractor with craftsman logo. 9 years old, 50" deck ad 24HP Kohler. It has been fantastic! My deck is just starting tk rust at one of the fwd mounts. Same spindles and have only replaced an idler pully, belts (once) and the pto shorted out.

I am more than impressed!

I did go with an Exmark for zero turn so I can't offer any more info.

Since you're spending the cash, I would recommend one with a deck that isn't stamped though.

I am a huge fan of the bigger Kohlers too! My tractor has never bogged down, even when cutting 3ft tall pasture.

Hope you find a great deal!

I have a Husqvarna tractor with craftsman logo. 9 years old, 50" deck ad 24HP Kohler. It has been fantastic! My deck is just starting tk rust at one of the fwd mounts. Same spindles and have only replaced an idler pully, belts (once) and the pto shorted out.

I am more than impressed!

I did go with an Exmark for zero turn so I can't offer any more info.

Since you're spending the cash, I would recommend one with a deck that isn't stamped though.

I am a huge fan of the bigger Kohlers too! My tractor has never bogged down, even when cutting 3ft tall pasture.

Hope you find a great deal!

That's the thing that has me on the fence. We looked at some that did not have stamped deck but the warranty was substantially less. We also looked at a Bad boy mower but it was more costly and warranty not as good.

10 year warranty on the deck? Is that everything attached to the deck or just the shell itself?  Don't know if Husky is playing word games with the warranty stuff, but I would inquire on that - it's quite a long time to warranty anything other than the shell.  If it is the shell, that warranty is just about useless because the other parts are what break.

10 year warranty on the deck? Is that everything attached to the deck or just the shell itself?  Don't know if Husky is playing word games with the warranty stuff, but I would inquire on that - it's quite a long time to warranty anything other than the shell.  If it is the shell, that warranty is just about useless because the other parts are what break.

No they were very up front on it its a 10 year warranty on the shell. On our Crap Cadet the spindle dropped right through the deck mounting area gave way. Which I don't get we replaced the blades every season. It never had any vibration etc until it gave out. I think this has been the highest maintenance cost mower we ever owned. Not it basically useless except for transportation around the property. Edited by wcd

Not a zero turn, but I got a riding lawn mower a few years ago from Lowe's.  Biggest POS I've ever used.  Flimsy frame, unstable, was constantly fixing it.  Probably due to where I bought it.  I'm sure there are different levels of quality.  

Husqvarna makes great saws and trimmers.  So I thought it would be a good mower.  Negative.

Can't speak to the z-turns, though.

And BTW, before that I had a Cub Cadet.  Maybe the best rider I've had.

This year, the cemetery bought a Scag Turf Tiger.  That thing is a hoss.  I'm spoiled now.

You get what you pay for.

Several good ones out there, none are inexpensive.

What one saves on a buying a cheap one will cost one more in the long run in repairs, service life, downtime and inconvenience.

Dealer support is important.

I bought a lightly used commercial duty zero turn on Craigslist and never looked back.
Yeah, cause if not it's like a gun safe, as soon as you buy it, you'll think it's too small. After a few times mowing, I wished I had ended up with a 60 instead of a 50 or 52, whatever mine is.
I bought the biggest lawn tractor they made several years ago and was not very happy with it. Had a subpar transmission and was terrible on hills. This was a known problem for the company. I'm planning on getting a zero turn next year and will be looking at a used Scag or Grasshopper.

Emphasis on "deck."

One of my good friends worked in an outdoor power equipment store here local, and one of his favorite stories is about a very nice lady calling in with a question about her mower.  The conversation started something like this, "I've got a 15 HP Murray with a 42 inch dick, I mean dock! I I I mean deck!"  My buddy could barely keep it together to be able to finish the phone call.  Needless to say the lady was a little flustered. 

Another problem with 60" + wide decks is that they don't cut contours as well on uneven ground. The 60" walk behind I demoed before my current 48" would scalp the interior of several of our drainage areas where the 48" cuts them perfect.

I think we are going to get the 48 inch deck we have a fenced in area around our chicken coop which has a tight entry with a gate I would have to up root some post and make the gate bigger. This way we can get a little smaller mower with better features. I stopped at the Wilson County co-op store real nice down to earth people there. We will be purchasing from them. Hard to beat quality service and a fair price. Not the cheapest around but I think they will offer the best value.
I have had nothing but good luck out of my 48" Hustler FasTrak. It has a 26 hp Kawasaki and is built like a tank. I've got about 250 hours on it now and not one problem. It won't bog down and the deck is this and tough. I would have gotten a wider deck but I have lots of trees at the three properties I mow.

Thanks - will be movinso g to the new place later this year - no fences up yet, so i am good there. Just trying to decide how much i like having someone cut my grass vs saving money so i can buy more guns :)

Ok now I am intrigued. Paying some one to cut your grass? When we first moved in we were given a quote of over $300.00 to knock things down. That was a easy choice off to Moore's we went and a Bush hog came home with us. Today I cut out back with it the grass was over 6ft tall. I was being cheap and letting it go to seed. So I did not have to buy seed to over seed it. Plus I had not put gates in until last week so could get through the new fence.

The Bush hog we have is 48 inches and although it was not lighting fast it realy did not take that long to cut it down. So I am thinking for a lot of reasons the 48 inch deck should be fine. The one we are looking at has the Kawasaki engine and a welded deck. Not as big as the 60 but I think a better fit four our needs. Edited by wcd