"Your next meal will be served through a small hole in a cell door"

HELL yeah!  I love that!!!!

The people that know you don’t really like you anyway, so when it comes down to a choice between you and $1,000, they’ll take the cash

Edited by Caster

Loved when he said, "Congratulations, son. I'm about to make you famous." and "The people who know you, don't really like you anyway."

I wanna buy this guy a cup of coffee. That's my kind of LEO right there!

All of that sounds real good, but the sad fact is, the perp has likely already been in and out of jail multiple times.

The lieutenant and his boys catch 'em, and the lawyers and courts release 'em. That's how the system works.

So in the end, it's very unlikely that the person responsible for the burglary is even remotely concerned about meals coming through slots in cell doors. He's probably rather used to it.

Meanwhile, we all get to pay for those meals... and everything else required to keep the fool alive.

I grew up right down the highway from that place lol that video is a small glimpse in to how the cops of that town are in real life...its the ticket capital of the world and they are some real hard@sses. Great little town tho and they look out for their own as you can tell.

Edited by tennesseetiger

All of that sounds real good, but the sad fact is, the perp has likely already been in and out of jail multiple times.

The lieutenant and his boys catch 'em, and the lawyers and courts release 'em. That's how the system works.

So in the end, it's very unlikely that the person responsible for the burglary is even remotely concerned about meals coming through slots in cell doors. He's probably rather used to it.

Meanwhile, we all get to pay for those meals... and everything else required to keep the fool alive.

Yep, before reading your post in my jaded state of mind the first thing I thought was, "Your next meal will be served through a small hole in a cell door.  And it will be free.  And so will your health care, dental care and your room and board.  Well, not free, exactly - someone has to pay for it but don't worry, the taxpayers will pick up the tab."

Louisiana has some of the harshest penalties in all of the nation. People get life sentences for stuff that gets you probation in other states. I can honestly say if I were a criminal I would make a VERY wife girth around Louisiana.

And because we are upset that taxes pay for the incarceration of criminal why don't we all petition our legislators, or maybe even Obama, to pardon all of them. If we released every inmate today and did not have to pay a single red cent again towards their incarceration our taxes would not be reduced at all, any surplus would just be used for some other government program. Personally I would rather pay to keep all the violent criminals locked up and away from my family and friends.

Now for non violent criminals I think they should have MUCH lighter sentence and there should not be any criminal charges for anything related to personal use or sale of drugs. I do not feel anyone should be jailed for making the choice to consume something, anything. The government should not be able to decide for me whether I cannot drink antifreeze, smoke crack or shoot up meth so long as it does not affect anyone else. BTW, I do not do any of those things but I support a person's right to choose to do it without the government's interference or permission. Lives get torn apart every day because of the "war on drugs" and the amount spent just to try to curb its use has been a waste, probably the biggest waste our government has been involved with which says a lot. Just like the prohibition on alcohol did nothing but create more criminals that is exactly what the prohibition of drugs, and subsequent war on drugs, has done but now we have criminals are on both sides of the issue.

It costs the tax payer $51,000,000,000 annually to fight drugs and $56,000,000,000 to house inmates. We can eliminate nearly the same amount we spend on housing inmates just by accepting, and eliminating, the failed "war on drugs".

There were 1.5 million people arrested in 2013 in the U.S. on nonviolent drug charges.

Number of people arrested for a violation of a marijuana law in 2013 was 693,482 and the costs alone for that are in excess of $20,804,460,000 to housing them. Just legalizing MJ would reduce our taxpayer burden by some $20 Billion alone.

Of those charged with marijuana law violations those who were arrested for possession only  amounted to 609,423 (88 percent). Just legalizing possession ONLY would amount of a savings of over $18,270,000,000 ($18 Billion) if they were not arrested.

Number of Americans incarcerated in 2013 in federal, state and local prisons and jails: 2,220,300 or 1 in every 110 adults so it is just a matter of time before any one of us could find ourselves being one of those 110 arrested for breaking a law that some lawmaker made that does not apply to them. We are in a place in history that no one has ever been. We have the highest incarceration rates of any nation in the world and yet our lawmakers continue to pass laws to control us.

Eventually the only way to live free is to risk your freedom by becoming a criminal.
Edited by Dolomite_supafly

I don't think anybody is arguing against anything you've said, Dolomite... just recognizing problems that no solution have been found for yet.

The privatization of the jail/prison system certainly hasn't been the answer, since that only leads to more prisoners equaling more money in somebody's pocket. And the more money it generates, well... I'm sure you get the idea. One way or the other, it's no surprise that so many people are jailed for such minor reasons.

I'm certainly not gonna offer my own thoughts on any possible fix though... since they'd be less than Politically Correct, at bare minimum.

But then, I grew up in an era where if you misbehaved at school, you got your backside "warmed up" with a wooden paddle, and people were actually held accountable for their actions... instead of having a bunch of psychologist and bleeding-heart bliss-ninnies make excuses for 'em.

So I doubt I'm even qualified by today's standards to even think on the subject, much less actually speak on it. :shrug: :hat: 

.J

The “War on Drugs” has helped to keep our streets and homes safe. Is it expensive? Yes. Is it sometimes abused? Yes, we see that a lot in Tennessee, we should all be ashamed of what our top lawmakers allow in the confiscation on innocent peoples property. Is that a failure of drugs enforcement? No, its an indicator of our legislature and court systems not doing their job.

I doubt there are many people in prison for having a bag of weed for personal use. Usually when you hear some criminals sob story about how they are in prison for drugs it's BS. Saying you are in prison for drugs is more acceptable that detailing the armed robbery or burglary that they are really in for.

Legalizing drugs would not reduce crime; it will increase it. In the states that have legalized pot it costs more than the illegal pot on the street. Legalizing other drugs would just cause more addicts. Unless you are suggesting the taxpayers foot the bill for their habit; you will have more addicts and more members here will have their homes burglarized, family and friends robbed at gun point and their property stolen. I am not willing to accept that so someone can get high; if they are spending my money I want them building bigger jails and keeping criminals in jail where they belong.

I support medical marijuana; its use should be up to doctors not legislators. I feel the same way about prescription drugs. However, legal recreational marijuana is only about making those that can afford it feel good about themselves. It will do nothing to reduce crime or the number of people in prison.

Our morals and family values are at an all time low. Telling kids that getting high is okay is just adding to the downfall. It must really be tough for parents with teens to keep their kids off drugs when so many people seem to think its okay.

That Lieutenant made some excellent points and gave some excellent advise to the academy graduates. They need that kind of guidance in their Commanders. I'm surprised the Sheriff is using him as a PIO; seems like such a waste.

It must really be tough for parents with teens to keep their kids off drugs when so many people seem to think its okay.

It's tougher still when so many doctors like throwing pills at the person instead of figuring out what the problem is, or what's causing it.

But then I tend to blame that habit on the big (legal) drug companies as much as the doctors.

Sorry, but the hypocrisy involved with telling anyone to stay away from drugs in a society that's waaaaay over-medicated is just staggering. Especially since the message is really "don't take anything we can't make money off of... Do take OUR over-priced stuff that you probably don't need in the first place though".

Seriously... anybody tried counting how many drug commercials are on TV in the average week? It's no wonder there're so many drug co. reps running in and out of my doctor's office.

J.

It's tougher still when so many doctors like throwing pills at the person instead of figuring out what the problem is, or what's causing it.

But then I tend to blame that habit on the big (legal) drug companies as much as the doctors.

Sorry, but the hypocrisy involved with telling anyone to stay away from drugs in a society that's waaaaay over-medicated is just staggering. Especially since the message is really "don't take anything we can't make money off of... Do take OUR over-priced stuff that you probably don't need in the first place though".

Seriously... anybody tried counting how many drug commercials are on TV in the average week? It's no wonder there're so many drug co. reps running in and out of my doctor's office.

J.

Agreed 100%. United States is WAY over medicated and its all thanks to profits...doctors push meds they get paid to push way more than they should.

And because we are upset that taxes pay for the incarceration of criminal why don't we all petition our legislators, or maybe even Obama, to pardon all of them.

Pardon them?  No.  Put their asses to work in some capacity in a wage earning job - inside the prison if necessary (unless I am mistaken Brushy Mountain had an on-site program where the inmates made furniture) and make them pay for their own expenses just like those of us who aren't criminals have to do?  Yes.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1