Best optic choice for a Tavor

All input is greatly appreciated....   I have an Eotech, but no magnifier yet, or should I go with something like an Aimpoint Pro or Aimpoint Micro H-1....   or a scope?   Yes, this is a very subjective question, but I'd like to hear from you all....   the longest shots I'll be taking is 600 yards, and that won't be very often, mostly 100-250 yards or CQB

Edited by MrBrian
I don't own a Tavor but my brother does. He has an Eotech with a flip to the side magnifer and it fits the style and design of the rifle well IMO. One can argue if it needs a magnifer.

A scope on a Tavor just looks out of place to me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Does the eotech with magnifier make the gun too heavy?  By my calculations, the gun, with a full magazine, eotech and magnifier will be over 10 lbs....   is it a hindrance?   I guess the good thing about the magnifier is how fast you can take it off and put it on....   I'm just trying to look at all the pros and cons before I drop $500 on a magnifier

Does the eotech with magnifier make the gun too heavy? By my calculations, the gun, with a full magazine, eotech and magnifier will be over 10 lbs.... is it a hindrance? I guess the good thing about the magnifier is how fast you can take it off and put it on.... I'm just trying to look at all the pros and cons before I drop $500 on a magnifier

The weight didn't seem unnatural to me since the gun is so compact.

My suggestion, if you haven't already upgraded the trigger, spend the money on that first before looking at more optics. Your group sizes will thank you. The best optics won't overcome the crappy factory trigger on the Tavor IMO.
  • Like 1

I have a Meprolight Tru-Dot RDS on my Tavor.  I really like it but not for sure how it would work at 600 yards.  I haven't tried a magnifier behind it since usually only shoot it out to 150-200 yards.

• Like 2

I have a Meprolight Tru-Dot RDS on my Tavor.  I really like it but not for sure how it would work at 600 yards.  I haven't tried a magnifier behind it since usually only shoot it out to 150-200 yards.

I've red the reticules on Meprolights are kinda big when compared to Eotech. I think my Eotech had a 1 moa dot, and Meprolights are several MOAs.

I'd still want a Meprolight if I had a Tavor to keep it Israeli.

• Like 2

Does the eotech with magnifier make the gun too heavy?  By my calculations, the gun, with a full magazine, eotech and magnifier will be over 10 lbs....   is it a hindrance?   I guess the good thing about the magnifier is how fast you can take it off and put it on....   I'm just trying to look at all the pros and cons before I drop $500 on a magnifier

Not at all, the way the rifle is balanced it is perfect with my XPS3 and magnifier

Edited by willis68

I've red the reticules on Meprolights are kinda big when compared to Eotech. I think my Eotech had a 1 moa dot, and Meprolights are several MOAs.

I'd still want a Meprolight if I had a Tavor to keep it Israeli.

Haven't compared it to an Eotech but have read it is bigger. The dot on the RDS is 1.8 MOA. Can't say that being made in Israel didn't effect my decision.
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Meprolight has a 2 MOA or smaller red dot sight that is made for the TAVOR. It is very nice and can be bought for less than an E-otech. They are also built better than an E-otech. Almost all the Tavor's are issued with these in Israel. 

Edited by frogman342
  • 2 years later...

The Tavor is fully capable of shoot 400-600 yards... I'd scope it. There are several good all-around scopes with 2.5-10 or 3-12 magnification that would work well at any range from point blank to 600 yards. Save your money for the Aimpoint, it will pay for itself before you know it. The cheap sights will just suck money out of your wallet and drive you crazy, and you'll just end up paying for the better sight down the road. If I had what I wasted on cheap red dots when I first started looking at them, I have a couple more Aimpoints now. I've been running M2's/ML2's on both my AR's and Tavor (and a couple of others) since they were the "new" model, and they are still going strong now for around 12 years of pretty steady use and abuse. They are like the Energizer Bunny, they just keep on going and going...... The Aimpoints also won't break the bank feeding their battery habit. Mine is pretty much "old school" now, and I leave them on 24/7/365 and change the batteries once a year. The new ones I believe, are up to about 9 years on a battery. Also, don't get caught up on one or the other. Get both. With lever mounts, you can have either at a flip of a lever or two and swap them at will, with no loss of zero. I have one AR that usually wears a Leupold 1.5x5 https://thetacticalscopes.com/best-optic-for-tavor/ on an old ARMS lever mount, and a backup, pre zeroed Aimpoint on an ARMS M68 mount. Best of both worlds.There are a lot of useful videos on this topic on Youtube, I will leave here one of them, I hope someone will come in handy. Good luck. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiM5uLQUOwk

Edited by ondundu
mistake
  • Like 1