A different kind of Police story

I figure with there being so many news articles lately about who the police have shot this time, something a little different would be nice.

Found this one on my news page this morning:

http://www.today.com/news/police-officer-shares-meal-homeless-man-nobody-wants-eat-alone-t34466

Not surprising, it wasn't a major headline... or even in the main body of the page. Was kind'a tucked off over in the sidebar, with nothing but the caption.

Anyway, enjoy a "good cop" story for a change.

J.

• Like 2

I figure with there being so many news articles lately about who the police have shot this time, something a little different would be nice.

Found this one on my news page this morning:

http://www.today.com/news/police-officer-shares-meal-homeless-man-nobody-wants-eat-alone-t34466

Not surprising, it wasn't a major headline... or even in the main body of the page. Was kind'a tucked off over in the sidebar, with nothing but the caption.

Anyway, enjoy a "good cop" story for a change.

J.

Your right!  We need more stories like this.

Not only was this an act of compassion but, IMO, it was good police work.  She saw an unknown homeless person in a town where she knows most everyone and, instead of rolling up and starting to 'interrogate' him, she bought him breakfast and listened to his story - probably getting him to drop his guard and finding out more than she would have using the former method.

Also, I would bet that such previous acts of kindness would go a long way to getting people to help her if she needs to find out information 'from the street' to help solve or prevent crime. Perhaps if this man - who is new to the town and likely doesn't know anyone - sees something that the police need to know about, he now has a friendly and possibly at least somewhat trusted contact on the police force to whom he knows he can safely talk.  To me, being a known, friendly face who has the trust of her community is a much better way to do her job than acting like an occupying, military force.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 4

Great story, thanks for sharing Oldhat. That was a very nice thing Sgt. Hay did, and I would bet a familiar action to her and a lot of LEO. That picture of them eating is kind of like a modern Norman Rockwell IMO. 

+1 for Sgt. Hay, a good community example, and she's hot to boot!