my first AK47 build

Did a couple build parties back in the day. Made for a pretty fun weekend. Cranked out about 20 complete guns. I purchased all the needed tools, figured out the best way to make them work, had our build party then sold off the tooling to the next guy. Came out pretty good. Not sure if you cold expect that today as the build fever has died down significantly. Having to deal with new barrel installation is also a bigger pain. We had headspace gauges and other nice items just to make sure everyone was safe. Only had one goof up and it was due to some poor workmanship. Reworked the kit and it turned out fine. We ended up with about $175 in each finished gun, unless you went hog wild with accessories. 

The Midway kit being already demilled is a benefit. That's a pain to do right off the bat. Requires lots of grinding, pounding and general nastiness.

Edited by seez52
Wow, I forgot how fast Midway can be. I just got home from vacation, and the kit was already on my front porch! I looked at the big pieces real quick, and I am liking it. All numbers match. The wood is nice. The finish on the metal shows some wear, but honestly I'd be disappointed if a surplus rifle didn't show some wear. I want to build it with rivets. I've made several gun purchases recently and a vacation, so I'm going to have to wait a little bit for the barrel and receiver. I was actually in the middle of an AR build when I impulse bought this AK kit, so now I've got 2 irons in the fire :) I'll build the AK first because I don't have one, and this kit looks cool
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I am getting ready to purchase the barrel from Atlantic Firearms. Is this one good for my kit? http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-accessories/nitride-ak47-7-62x39mm-barrel-detail.html?Itemid=0

I don't anywhere on their site stating that it's Made in USA though

Here's the kit I have: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/909439/military-surplus-ak-47-polish-under-folding-stock-parts-kit-762x39mm Edited by Wingshooter

Looks like the exterior is bare metal in the picture. What method do use to finish it to match?

Sandblast the whole gun and parts when complete - then finish as desired. Park, blueing, cerakote, etc

Most countries Original guns were generally paint over park i beleive
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Childers or NoDak receiver? Neither are in stock, and both will be 2-3 months looks like.

Childers has the option of drilling the front trunion holes. Should I let them do it, or is it better to custom drill with the trunion?
http://www.childersguns.com/CG1-Polish-AKM-47-Receiver

This one is availabe from Atlantic. Is it good, or should I hold out for a NoDak or Childers? https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-accessories/ak47-receiver-underfolder-7-62x39mm-2543-detail.html?Itemid=0
  • 1 month later...

How do you get a barrel into dem thangs?

- OS

Oh Shoot, they're pretty pricey, but "Toth Tools" builds a special tool for pulling and reinstalling the barrel. They also build a special tool for driving the rivets... and special jaws for the 24" bolt cutter to drive the trunnion rivets. I'm looking for these... to buy, rent or pay for help with your Toth Tool fixtures.
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I finally have the receiver for this project waiting for me to pick it up at the FFL. I have been checking the web since October and bought the first one that was back in stock... a Childers from Atlantic. I guess I need a US made trigger and a rivet set now.

I have access to a 20 ton shop press. The Toth tool looks interesting, but has anyone used an air hammer to set the rivets? I believe that's how they do it on airplanes

Edited by Wingshooter

the bolt cutter outfit is the easiest to use on the front trunion. I used a press on the center rivet and the rear. The thing is you need to tighten everything up before squishing the rivet. The tool I had allowed you to apply pressure on the receiver holding everything tight then a ram for squishing the rivet. The bolt had a center hole all the way through for the ram.

the bolt cutter outfit is the easiest to use on the front trunion. I used a press on the center rivet and the rear. The thing is you need to tighten everything up before squishing the rivet. The tool I had allowed you to apply pressure on the receiver holding everything tight then a ram for squishing the rivet. The bolt had a center hole all the way through for the ram.

I was thinking about how to keep everything tight while the first 1 or 2 rivets are set. Could you assemble with non-locking nuts and bolts (equal diameter as rivets) then replace with rivets one at a time? Or am I trying to make it too complicated, lol Edited by Wingshooter

I was thinking about how to keep everything tight while the first 1 or 2 rivets are set. Could you assemble with non-locking nuts and bolts (equal diameter as rivets) then replace with rivets one at a time? Or am I trying to make it too complicated, lol

I think the only one you will really need to snug up will be the center rivet. Possibly the rear trunion. I used the press tool on the center and rear. You might be able to rig up something using a c-clamp or one of those wide jaw vise grips used for welding. 

You will find you press comes in handy for putting the barrel in and out.

Edited by seez52
  • Like 1