Computer Help Please

I have an old Dell 4600 with win xp home edition os.  Its been a while since I have been on it.  I have no password set or user name and it will not let me log on. The system logon message is make sure the user name and domain are correct then type password.  Any help or thoughts on the matter is appreciated. 

Thank You.

Do you have a distribution disk for the machine? A boot disk?

If so, try getting it to boot up from the optical drive.

If it still won't boot up, you'll have to re-install xp, or possibly install 7 or some other version of Windows on it... if it's capable of running those systems.

I suppose you know that you'll likely lose any data or files you have on the drive if you have to reinstall the os.

Wish I could be of more help, but I've never had any luck with reviving a dead/corrupt OS any other way.

J.

Do you have a distribution disk for the machine? A boot disk?

If so, try getting it to boot up from the optical drive.

If it still won't boot up, you'll have to re-install xp, or possibly install 7 or some other version of Windows on it... if it's capable of running those systems.

I suppose you know that you'll likely lose any data or files you have on the drive if you have to reinstall the os.

Wish I could be of more help, but I've never had any luck with reviving a dead/corrupt OS any other way.

J.

Thanks for the input.  Yeah was trying to avoid the reinstall. I cant get into safe mode because of the login. 

No home computer.

All computers "for the most part" have a local admin account. Here's the way to try to get in with that account.

To log on to a computer as the administrator to reset a password, try the following steps.

1. Log on as an administrator.
    1. Restart the computer.
    2. Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE two times, and then type the name of the administrator user account.

Note If you do not know any other administrator user account, try to type Adminstrator in the User name box.
    3. In the Password box, type the administrator password, and then click OK

Note If you do not know the administrator password, leave it blank, and then click OK.

If it says you need a domain type .\ in front "administrator" and then leave the password blank. ".\" will force the computer to skip the domain request. I would assume your local admin account is still "administrator" and wasnt changed so use that as the login name.
Edited by tennesseetiger

Thanks one   If the puter would boot up to those conditions I think I could cure it but it wont let me get pass the login feature.

All computers "for the most part" have a local admin account. Here's the way to try to get in with that account.

To log on to a computer as the administrator to reset a password, try the following steps.

1. Log on as an administrator.
    1. Restart the computer.
    2. Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE two times, and then type the name of the administrator user account.

Note If you do not know any other administrator user account, try to type Adminstrator in the User name box.
    3. In the Password box, type the administrator password, and then click OK

Note If you do not know the administrator password, leave it blank, and then click OK.

If it says you need a domain type .\ in front "administrator" and then leave the password blank. ".\" will force the computer to skip the domain request. I would assume your local admin account is still "administrator" and wasnt changed so use that as the login name.

Just tried. Keeps starting with login window.

If you can download a Linux distro onto a blank disk, you can run it as a boot up disk. Then let it start up, connect to the interweb, then install either as a partition to your broken Window (pun intended) or just wipe the drive with the distro as your new OS.

Just tried. Keeps starting with login window.

Try restarting it, and tapping F8 as soon as it starts to power back up, BEFORE it goes to the log-in screen.

BTW, how long has it been since the thing was last plugged in and turned on?

Try restarting it, and tapping F8 as soon as it starts to power back up, BEFORE it goes to the log-in screen.

BTW, how long has it been since the thing was last plugged in and turned on?

ITs been a while no telling what happened to it the kids had it for a while and I just got it back so I could run some copy's on it.  I have used all my knowledge which is not much on the F8 case.

ITs been a while no telling what happened to it the kids had it for a while and I just got it back so I could run some copy's on it.  I have used all my knowledge which is not much on the F8 case.

The kids could have set up a password on it then.  If so, one of the other suggestions might get you in without costing you a reinstall.