Computer Help Please

If you can download a Linux distro onto a blank disk, you can run it as a boot up disk. Then let it start up, connect to the interweb, then install either as a partition to your broken Window (pun intended) or just wipe the drive with the distro as your new OS.

Thanks Ted now i'm with ya, old brain. This will be tonight's project.

Yeah kids there in their 30tys and said no password was used. ??

I dunno then...  Without being able to lay hands on it, I don't know what to tell you other than what's already been/being said.

The last machine to give me that sort of grief was one I was trying to get Windows 8 the hell off of.

Since then, I've had sense enough to just build my own machines and put what I wanted on them, rather than take whatever a manufacturer had installed.

I dunno then...  Without being able to lay hands on it, I don't know what to tell you other than what's already been/being said.

The last machine to give me that sort of grief was one I was trying to get Windows 8 the hell off of.

Since then, I've had sense enough to just build my own machines and put what I wanted on them, rather than take whatever a manufacturer had installed.

Thanks Hat  I'm  puter savvy to the point of getting into trouble, and to old not to realize it lol. I have a lot of options here and I'll get something to work!!!

You're on a gun forum, the way to fix old broken stuff is to shoot it and post a video!

You have any idea how hard I've had to work to not ask him if he had any Tannerite? :devil:

I'm bettin' that mini-tower would hold a few pounds too...

• Like 1

At this point, my question would be why are you investing all this time to get into an old XP system that you haven't been using?  Get an XP install disk and reinstall XP. It'll be a lot quicker than what you're doing now. I'm pretty sure you can download XP from a torrent if you don't have an install disk. 

Better yet, just install a Linux distro. I'm running one of the older Linux Mint distros on my Dell Optiplex, which came with the XP OS.  You make what's called a LiveDVD with the distro on it. Boot up the computer using the LiveDVD, hook up to the internet, and test whatever Linux distro you have to your heart's content. Once you're convinced you like it and everything works, then wipe the drive using the DVD's instructions and install your Linux distro. Linux Zorin OS looks a lot like Windows 7. Linux Mint is probably next most like Windows 7.

At this point, my question would be why are you investing all this time to get into an old XP system that you haven't been using? Get an XP install disk and reinstall XP. It'll be a lot quicker than what you're doing now. I'm pretty sure you can download XP from a torrent if you don't have an install disk.

Better yet, just install a Linux distro. I'm running one of the older Linux Mint distros on my Dell Optiplex, which came with the XP OS. You make what's called a LiveDVD with the distro on it. Boot up the computer using the LiveDVD, hook up to the internet, and test whatever Linux distro you have to your heart's content. Once you're convinced you like it and everything works, then wipe the drive using the DVD's instructions and install your Linux distro. Linux Zorin OS looks a lot like Windows 7. Linux Mint is probably next most like Windows 7.

he may have files on there he wants to backup

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

he may have files on there he wants to backup

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only reason I need this puter is to down load type c recording tapes from a JVC camera.  This puter has the connection that I need to do this. If there is a better way I need input.

I've been away from my PC for a few days, and you may have solved your problem already, but for a free solution, I've had great success with Offline NT Password Editor   http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/ Just download either the CD version or the USB version, boot from whichever you decided, and follow the prompts. You'll want to reset the password for the account "Administrator". Once the password has been changed, removed the disk and boot normally into Windows. At the logon screen use Administrator for the account, and whatever password you changed it to. If the logon screen indicates you are logging onto a domain, use ".\Administrator" for the username (don't include the quotes).

If you have a friend that has access to an enterprise subscription to Microsoft Licensing, ask them to get DART (MS Diagnotic And Recovery Tool). It has a very nice and easy to use password recovery tool, along with several other cool utilities. And it is from Microsoft. It boots up to a windows-like desktop and will seem familiar.

If all you are looking for is to be able to get the files copied to a USB drive before wiping the laptop, you could try any of the Linux Boot disks, such as Ubuntu,  that can be installed to a CD and booted from. You'll get a desktop that is running from the CD, but will have access to the files on your hard drive. 

Good luck.

I've been away from my PC for a few days, and you may have solved your problem already, but for a free solution, I've had great success with Offline NT Password Editor   http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/ Just download either the CD version or the USB version, boot from whichever you decided, and follow the prompts. You'll want to reset the password for the account "Administrator". Once the password has been changed, removed the disk and boot normally into Windows. At the logon screen use Administrator for the account, and whatever password you changed it to. If the logon screen indicates you are logging onto a domain, use ".\Administrator" for the username (don't include the quotes).

If you have a friend that has access to an enterprise subscription to Microsoft Licensing, ask them to get DART (MS Diagnotic And Recovery Tool). It has a very nice and easy to use password recovery tool, along with several other cool utilities. And it is from Microsoft. It boots up to a windows-like desktop and will seem familiar.

If all you are looking for is to be able to get the files copied to a USB drive before wiping the laptop, you could try any of the Linux Boot disks, such as Ubuntu,  that can be installed to a CD and booted from. You'll get a desktop that is running from the CD, but will have access to the files on your hard drive. 

Good luck.

Thanks for your input Kidd and Thanks to everyone's input.  I wiped the puter clean and started over. It is doing the job now. Smokin.