Scanner recommendations?

If there is a natural disaster it is often hard to figure out what is going on locally because normal radio and TV are often down. I'll get my Ham license in the near future so that will help.

In the meantime, I am trying to figure out what sort of radio scanner to get. Does anyone have any recommendations for radio scanners for local services? I am interested in being able to monitor fire, police, and other local radio communications, CB, etc. I don't know anything about scanners available to the public.

Any help is appreciated.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a good one. I got a 1000 channel (don't need that many but only way to get "trunking") with trunking. most agenceys are going to that. The new Radio Shack one come preprogrammed with a bunch of feq.'s that are standard. And they are "hard coded" to a certain extent. meaning if you default the unit, these will show back up. I just disabled the ones I didn't want and added mine at the end.

Guest RISC777

A big can when you add the questions of "what antenna?" "where should I put my antenna?" "why can't I receive A, B, or C?" I'll try to keep this short...

Memphis/Shelby County public safety is a Motorola Type II SmartZone system. Bartlett pub safety is Moto Type II SmartNet. Collierville is an LTR system. RadioReference is a tremendous resource for frequencies and system information.

Answer = the least expensive scanner that will receive those systems (conventional systems will be received by any digital capable scanner). The best mfr. out is Uniden. If you want to buy for great reception and future considerations, look at their BCD396T handheld model. If you want in-a-vehicle and tied to a GPS model, look at the BCD996T. A BC246T or BCT15 should do well. The "D" indicates capability for digital reception of systems such as APCO-25 systems.

I've used a lot of Unidens, so if you get one and want some TGO assistance with programming, antenna selection/placement, etc., let me know. Otherwise, RadioReference has a tremendous forum base with users more local to you.

edit:

A 'decent' scanner will have freq.s you can set as priority so that if there is traffic it goes to it. Close call is a feature that if it's 'close' geographically/distant-wise it will lock on it. Trunk tracking is for digital / non-conventional systems.

As Fallguy states below, Rat Shack will sell scanners pre-programmed the same as others do. They tend to be nation-wide, so the eliminating of Alaska and New York, etc. is necessary and all should be able to re-load those pre-loaded systems.

The benefit to Uniden's newer scanners is they are based on dynamic or pooled memory instead of banks and channels. If a person is used to banks / channels, programming a dynamic memory (no banks, no channels) is a challenge in re-thinking the way programming is typically done.

Edited by RISC777
trunking, close call, priority, etc.

I don't remember the make or model right now, but I saw a scanner not too long ago that was supposed to lock on to any close broadcast.

I mean I know most will scan a certain band, but this one is more or less supposed to check all the bands instead of having to go through each one.

If I find it again I'll post it.

I don’t have any info to offer on scanners; but if you are going to get your amateur license, go ahead and get a radio now. You don’t need a license to buy a radio or listen on the amateur bands; just to transmit.

The nice thing about amateur radio is that it is not dependent on a network. You are going to have Hams operating during an emergency. Who you can talk to or have far you can talk is directly related to how much money you have to spend.

Guest RISC777
I don’t have any info to offer on scanners; but if you are going to get your amateur license, go ahead and get a radio now.

And on those FRS/GMRS there's no test, just some paperwork and some kind of fee (or maybe not).

Although you can get a license for FRS/GMRS radios, it's not required is it?

It is required if you want to legally use some of the channels that are on the GMRS spectrum. All of the FRS require no license. You can still technically use the licensed channels, but would face the possible consequences if found to be using them without the license.

Here is a link with some more info on the subject.

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=service_home&id=general_mobile

It is required if you want to legally use some of the channels that are on the GMRS spectrum. All of the FRS require no license. You can still technically use the licensed channels, but would face the possible consequences if found to be using them without the license.

Here is a link with some more info on the subject.

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=service_home&id=general_mobile

Cool...thanks.

Guest RISC777
Although you can get a license for FRS/GMRS radios, it's not required is it?
FRS / GMRS and licensing. Those radios will both transmit and receive. The FRS is not regulated and requires no licensing. The GMRS is regulated and requires licensing (and an $85.00 fee).

The deal is the GMRS capability doubles the reach compared to the FRS. For instance, a Midland or Uniden or Motorola that will transmit up to approximately 7 miles FRS will transmit up to approximately 14 miles GMRS (higher wattage output).

And, yes, you could run it GMRS and probably never get found out. I don't know who checks into such or the consequences either.

FRS / GMRS and licensing. Those radios will both transmit and receive. The FRS is not regulated and requires no licensing. The GMRS is regulated and requires licensing (and an $85.00 fee).

The deal is the GMRS capability doubles the reach compared to the FRS. For instance, a Midland or Uniden or Motorola that will transmit up to approximately 7 miles FRS will transmit up to approximately 14 miles GMRS (higher wattage output).

And, yes, you could run it GMRS and probably never get found out. I don't know who checks into such or the consequences either.

Sort of like when CBs first came out you were supposed to be licensed....:confused:

Guest RISC777

Well, if you got a 12-volt battery, an antenna, and a CB you've got communications capability. The FRS/GMRS isn't as "public" as a CB, well the GMRS isn't since it will do some voice scrambling for desired private communication.

Guest RISC777
If there is a natural disaster it is often hard to figure out what is going on locally because normal radio and TV are often down. I'll get my Ham license in the near future so that will help.

In the meantime, I am trying to figure out what sort of radio scanner to get. Does anyone have any recommendations for radio scanners for local services? I am interested in being able to monitor fire, police, and other local radio communications, CB, etc. I don't know anything about scanners available to the public.

Any help is appreciated.

Uniden's handheld BC92XLT and the 'desktop' BC350C would be adequate for conventional monitoring (no trunked systems).

The handheld SC230 and BCT8 are entry trunking scanners.

Top of the line, and features, are the BCD396T and BCD996T.

*** It all depends on what systems are in your area to monitor. Are they all conventional, are there any trunked systems and what type are they, is there a mix of the two?

[The 996 is cool in that you can trunk mount it with a head piece at the dash, and attach a GPS so that the scanner automatically scans what you can actually receive based on longitude and latitude. Scanning from a vehicle can be quite cool projects.]