Shooters World Clean Shot

I was browsing at my favorite LGS today and saw a 1 pound bottle of this pistol/shotshell powder. It's made in the Czech Republic and packaged by an outfit in South Carolina. It's burn rate is in the vicinity of AA #2, Titegroup and W231. The LGS owner says he can get plenty of it and it's priced a few bucks lower than the three mentioned. Since powder is getting scarce I wondered if a bottle would be good to have for 9mm, 40 S&W and .38 Special.

Anybody try it or heard of it?

http://www.shootersworldsc.com/

I just saw this powder listed on Powder Valley's website today. They only carry "Clean Shot" at this time...and very reasonably priced by today's standards. ($20.00/lb).

I've used AA#2 in .38 spl and 9mm. It's a decent powder. Same with W231.

...gun sane...I see you are in Maryville.

Which gun store has some in stock? I won't have the opportunity until the middle of next week...but if they have some in stock I'll run over and pick up a pound or two and give it a try.

I agree...powder is relatively scarce. It's always nice to have options.

...gun sane...I see you are in Maryville.

Which gun store has some in stock? I won't have the opportunity until the middle of next week...but if they have some in stock I'll run over and pick up a pound or two and give it a try.

I agree...powder is relatively scarce. It's always nice to have options.

It's at Farnsworth Firearms in Vonore for $29.99/bottle, not bad if you figure in Powder Valley's price + hazmat.  He's got about 6-7 bottles as of today.  Give them a call at 423-884-6462 and ask to hold some for you.

• Like 1
Yikes. $30/lb isn't a value around here. Just got 1lb of 800x for $22.99 and 1 lb of AA7 for $28.99 at the Outpost in Murfreesboro last week, and they don't necessarily have a reputation for nice pricing. Titegroup and AA2 were on hand as well, but I didn't check pricing as I have plenty of both.

The Reloader's bench in Mt Juliet has rotating stock at about the same prices, sometimes a couple bucks less. Y'all buy from David at the gunshows? His daughter gave me a great deal on 5lbs of AA5 awhile back. Great folks. Edited by musicman

Yikes. $30/lb isn't a value around here. Just got 1lb of 800x for $22.99 and 1 lb of AA7 for $28.99 at the Outpost in Murfreesboro last week, and they don't necessarily have a reputation for nice pricing. Titegroup and AA2 were on hand as well, but I didn't check pricing as I have plenty of both.

The Reloader's bench in Mt Juliet has rotating stock at about the same prices, sometimes a couple bucks less. Y'all buy from David at the gunshows? His faughter gave me a great deal on 5lbs of AA5 awhile back. Great folks.

Robert at Farnsworth stickers the item with the total price, so that's $29.99 including tax, title, license and drive-out.  I buy from David at the Knoxville gun show and enjoy his low prices, but I have to pay $8 at the door and about $5 at the gas pump.  When I must go to a show, I make a beeline for his table and don't bother splitting up my cost among a bunch of hijacking vendors.  :grouchy:

Edited by gun sane

Thank you gun sane. I'll check it out when work and life cuts me some slack. :pleased:

I wish we had that kind of availability and pricing around here musicman. It would be nice. Online sales are hit & miss, and frequently powder is starting to run (online vendors) at about $25.00/lb as stocks return.

I would love to purchase from Mr.David. Mr. David has a stellar reputation!

I work every other weekend and somehow I seem to always manage to work the local gunshow weekends...I have no idea how that seems to work out that way! :squint:

I keep hoping Unique will show up again one day... all in time I reckon.

Thank you gun sane. I'll check it out when work and life cuts me some slack. :pleased:

I wish we had that kind of availability and pricing around here musicman. It would be nice. Online sales are hit & miss, and frequently powder is starting to run (online vendors) at about $25.00/lb as stocks return.

I would love to purchase from Mr.David. Mr. David has a stellar reputation!

I work every other weekend and somehow I seem to always manage to work the local gunshow weekends...I have no idea how that seems to work out that way! :squint:

I keep hoping Unique will show up again one day... all in time I reckon.

If you haven't been to Prone Shooter on Kingston Pike yet I'd recommend checking them out. Good selection of powder and primers. I picked up a pound of Reloader 15 for $22 and a pound of IMR 4166 for $28 today. Friendly folks too.

• Like 2

It's another scorcher out there today, but I knew you guys just couldn't wait much longer to hear about the groundbreaking trial of Shooters World Clean Shot powder. I gotta admit the Lovex online reloading data sucks. They have two ranges for the same 158-grain round nose lead boolit, one starting at 3.9 grains and the other at 4.2. I decided to do a tried-and true comparison test of the powder with Blackie, my .38/.357 Blackhawk thumb buster, since that's the cowboy that won me a Bersa Chat Meet & Greet prize a couple of years ago using an AA2 handload. So I made up five rounds of Clean Shot with 3.9 grains behind a 158-grain LSWC boolit, the same recipe that got me the title with AA2.

The experiment was far from scientific. The American Legion range I use isn't big on marking distance lines. It's about 45 yards from the covered wickiup to the backstop, but that's for long guns only. Handgunners just walk up to the wall, turn around and spit a watermelon seed at a 45-degree angle into the air. Where it lands is about seven yards for the average set of lungs.

Shooting one handed (I said it wasn't science), the first boolit from Blackie went straight into the bullseye, just like the day I won the match.  The other four rounds went nearby, all within a couple of inches. If you put me on the witness stand, I would say that Clean Shot is close enough to AA2, depending upon how you hold your gun and how much sweat is in your eyes. I don't own a chronograph, which keeps me out of the Reloading Hall of Fame, but I'd say the boolit went pretty danged fast (853 fps, according to Lovex figures).

Rather than stand out there in the heat like an idiot and only shoot five shots, I brought along some more Clean Shot loads to test the stew. Lovex recommends you stop at 4.6 grains for .38 Special, regardless of which 158-grain lead round nose bullet data you try. Since Blackie is a .357 powerhouse, I threw away that envelope and ventured out into +P territory. The first few loads went to crap, group-wise. But when I got to 4.9 grains they tightened again. My last set, at 5.0 grains, left five beautiful holes a mere inch apart.  Again, this is from an old geezer shooting off-handed from seven yards away.

Clean Shot is now my go-to for .38 special, since I used the last of my AA2 months ago. Now to get started developing a nice meal for Nickie, my shiny nickel-plated S&W Model 19. I'm looking forward to the results, even though Blackie fills your heart with joy playing cowboy for awhile. I couldn't stop humming the Frankie Lane theme from Gunfight at the O.K. Corral all the while I stood out there in the heat like a western sharpshooting idiot putting tight holes into the paper Clanton gang.

Edited by gun sane
  • Like 1

If you haven't been to Prone Shooter on Kingston Pike yet I'd recommend checking them out. Good selection of powder and primers. I picked up a pound of Reloader 15 for $22 and a pound of IMR 4166 for $28 today. Friendly folks too.

Wait, wha...

I'm up and down Kingston Pike all the time and I've never heard of them.
  • 2 weeks later...

I finally made it over to Prone Shooter. Very nice folks as Major mentioned. :up:

I picked up 5 pounds of powder, 3 different types, that I had been looking for...for some time now actually. Very good prices.

They have a decent selection of powders, good selection of primers, and a decent selection of ammo.

I even got to handle a Glock 43. I still haven't fired one yet...but all in time.

I think it's great having good folks like this running such a nice place so close at hand....but you gotta do some recon to find them the first time LOL.

• Like 1