Some lawmakers say attorney general’s opinion on guns in parks means problems

http://wreg.com/2015/07/31/some-lawmakers-say-attorney-generals-opinion-on-guns-in-parks-means-problems/

MEMPHIS, Tenn. —  You can take your gun to Memphis in May, according to a new opinion by Tennessee’s Attorney General Herbert Slatery.

Memphis in May had argued that as a third-party contractor renting out Tom Lee Park, it had the right to ban guns from its event, but the opinion issued this week means that’s not the case.

“It is not a good idea to have guns at a rock ‘n’ roll concert during Memphis in May when there are young folks everywhere,” Tennessee State Sen. Lee Harris said. “Sometimes quarters are tight, and there is lots of drinking going on.”

Sen. Harris said something must be done to alter the way the current Tennessee Guns in Parks law reads. After a request from Sen. Harris, Slatery said handgun carry permit holders cannot be banned from carrying guns in public parks just because they are contracted out by a third party.

“As a producer of events, we have the right to stipulate rules and guidelines for patrons entering the leased park space to attend our events,” Memphis in May CEO Jim Holt told WREG in May when asked how the event planned to handle the guns in parks law after it passed.

Friday, Holt told WREG he was waiting to meet with the City of Memphis attorney and the Riverfront Development Corporation before commenting on Slatery’s opinion.

Marla Whiting said lawmakers need to step back and really take a look at the law and its impacts.

“You made it a law, so don’t be complaining about, well, my son got shot, my grandson got shot or my uncle got shot,” she said. “You made it a law for them to carry a gun, so that’s going to be a problem.”

Previously local governments could decide whether to ban guns in parks, but state lawmakers took away that power this year.

Sen. Harris said democrats, gun safety advocates and law enforcement will be meeting next month to try to figure out how they can get the law changed.

I don't think most of the politicians from certain parts of cities in TN even are aware that we have a state constitution that doesn't allow the state or local government to ban the wearing of arms unless with a "view to prevent crime." The fact that the fast few years have proven banning guns in parks (see parks that allow carry vs parks that banned) proved that banning carry doesn't make a lick of difference in stopping gun crime in parks.

• Like 1

The NRA needs to be on top of this so some of these folks don't mess up a good thing next legislative session as a way of 'compromise'.  The few people that legally carry guns on their persons are not going to hurt anything at Memphis in May.

I saw another article in the Memphis newspaper today.  Supposedly some law enforcement group is going to meet because they don't like that we can carry either in the parks.

Edited by 300winmag

No self respecting Legal carry person is going to be consuming alcohol in a park either just visiting or attending a rock Concert. It is all in the minds of the anti gun people and I don't think anything is going to change that...............jmho

• Like 1

I don't think most of the politicians from certain parts of cities in TN even are aware that we have a state constitution that doesn't allow the state or local government to ban the wearing of arms unless with a "view to prevent crime." The fact that the fast few years have proven banning guns in parks (see parks that allow carry vs parks that banned) proved that banning carry doesn't make a lick of difference in stopping gun crime in parks.

That's why felons can't carry, to prevent crime, that's already a law so in their minds no criminals ever carry guns because they are banned from doing so.

Also I carry with a view to prevent crime, mainly to prevent assault against me, and some others.

• Like 1

Of course it's illegal in TN to drink and carry, but Libiots tend to ignore that one.

To be precise, it is not necessarily illegal to drink and carry, unless you do it in a public establishment that dispenses alcoholic beverages.

In all other cases, it is illegal to be "under the influence of alcohol", a term that has no exact quantitative definition in relation to firearm possession.

- OS

• Like 2