Need recommendation for novice for concealed carry

I was talking to a friend today who is thinking about concealed carry and/or a home defense gun. It's apparent that he knows next to nothing about firearms, so I'd like to steer him towards a good weapon choice and a good HCP course.  He's in Nashville, mid-forties, about 6' 2", maybe 20-30lbs overweight, with normal sized hands for a guy that size. I doubt that he will ever be a recreational shooter.

Here's the kicker. In the very remote chance that he needs a firearm, he might be up against professionals intent on stealing invention prototypes or eliminating him entirely. 

He doesn't want an arsenal, but cost isn't a major concern either. What would you recommend? 

Edited by jgradyc
For the most part you are talking about two different weapons. Yes, of course something can serve dual purposes, but shotgun or AR for home. Carry? Anything that will let you get to your trunk for another Shotgun or AR to engage spies. Don't need a permit for either one in that case. Edited by chances R

If he's got spies after him I'm afraid the standard HCP course will not suffice.

And if professionals are after him, he needs advice well beyond what he will get from an internet gun forum. He needs to be talking to dedicated security firms. There's no way we can assess the threat to him by looking at a brief post, so I think you (or he) should take your request to someone who can spend some time looking into his needs professionally.  

Edited by EssOne
Sounds like he needs to hire some armed trained security.

If cost is no object for a carry gun, either custom 1911 or HK with trigger work. Same will work for a nightstand gun. But he is going to need extensive training and a carbine to go against multiple armed assailants.

He doesn't want an arsenal, but cost isn't a major concern either. What would you recommend? 

Good advice here already.

I know you mentioned he most likely would not be a recreational shooter. But if things are as you say, and I have no reason to doubt, he needs professional training, especially regarding situational awareness...and quite obviously a top of the line layered security system.

Definitely professional assessment and training...

:2cents:

you just can't pick a gun for someone.   They need to try out a few styles, and go up the learning curve.   Even the most popular stuff does not mesh with everyone's style.   I mean, given what you said, some criteria pop out..

obviously concealable... high cap, easy to use controls,  low recoil/skill level...   I would look for something heavy, midsized and 15+ capacity... a ruger P89 or something that has mild recoil, something steel, maybe old.  Avoid a high recoil lightweight, anything that *requires* an engaged safety (most DA/SA you can leave the safety off without concern, so maybe something like that).  Avoid a ND gun like a glock or other mishap prone gun for a novice (its not the glocks fault, but a lot of novice people have had the shirttail problem or itchy finger problems ...).   There are hundreds of models that fit these ideas, but you get the idea... just something that is novice friendly and not prone to accidents, recoil / accuracy aggravations,  stupidly hard to pull triggers,  safety to manipulate.  Find something that is low recoil, high cap, and more or less point and shoot ready yet not hair triggered. 

There are professionals and then there are professionals.   4 or 5 goons with pistols that can hit a man-target or some guy that will kill him at 500 yards with a silenced rifle or a silenced .22 hitman style or what...?  Of course, he may not know,  and in any case he is probably screwed ... if this is real, he should contact law enforcement or hire his own pro bodyguards or something.    I mean, if I had to shoot someone for money, I would not be using a pistol, and a firearm at all would be a last resort...  I would try something else if possible ... poison, booby trapped car/home,  even a good crossbow with no one much around, ... noisy handgun killing at short range where his own pistol would be effective is amateurish ... 

Leaving all the professional hit man and "what if" BS aside.  :shake:

For a novice I usually recommend a good medium frame .38 Special revolver. That's about as simple as it gets. No slide to rack, no magazine to fool with, no safeties, just point and pull the trigger.

Go with a medium frame rather than a small frame as it gives a better hold and recoil is easily managed. If he's going to carry it, a 2 to 3" barrel is ideal. 

• 2 weeks later...

As for a handgun class, Gunsite is now offering classes at PRI near Bucksnort.  Many consider Gunsite the BEST and PRI is considered by some to be one of the best local training facilities.  Now you get both in one place.  I would advise a novice to take the Handgun 150 class.  It will NOT satisfy the state requirement to get a permit.

http://www.gunsite.com/course-offerings/tennessee-offsite-courses/

I would also recommend a revolver 357mag. One HCP class will not give him the training against hitmen. If he takes a few defensive courses and doesn't practice he is just wasting his time and money.
Take him to a range a few times and let him rent and shoot different guns to see which one or two he likes and go from there. You must let him pick his guns and calibers and if he doesn't want to practice he needs to hire bodyguards. IMHO.
  • Moderators
You don't really have a genuine chance seeing professionals coming.

Coincidentally you don't see them leave either. Guess you really don't see anything at that point.

Maybe have him talk to Gecko45. I hear he innovated something with duct tape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk