Fear The Walking Dead (Los Angeles spinoff)

I thought it was funny that they wanted to flee to the desert. If the zeds don't kill you then the dehydration will.

I thought the same thing. I lived in San Diego and trained in El Centro. I have ridden my motorcycle all over SoCal. Desert isn't in my top 100 places to flee to. LOL 

• 2 weeks later...

Starting to pick up.  Travis is in denial & won't last long with his "You know how I feel about guns" attitude.  Daniel is right when he calls him "weak."

Preview for next week looks good:

http://www.amc.com/shows/fear-the-walking-dead/video-extras/season-01/episode-04/sneak-peek-episode-104-fear-the-walking-dead-not-fade-away

hmmmmm..... "Not Fade Away"..... a Grateful Dead song! ;)

• Like 2

I think Travis will figure it out.  He seems adaptable.   Daniel might be a great asset for them.  Don't think his cousin is going to come get his family.

And I am sure I will watch it again but did they purposely not tell the Army lady about the injured woman?  She is in bad shape with the foot injury.  I think most people would have asked the Army for help with her.  And obviously there is still no real clue as to what is going on.  Blood splatter does not make people sick.  Heck of a head shot anyway.  I think it is turning into a pretty good show.

I think Travis will figure it out. He seems adaptable. Daniel might be a great asset for them. Don't think his cousin is going to come get his family.
And I am sure I will watch it again but did they purposely not tell the Army lady about the injured woman? She is in bad shape with the foot injury. I think most people would have asked the Army for help with her. And obviously there is still no real clue as to what is going on. Blood splatter does not make people sick. Heck of a head shot anyway. I think it is turning into a pretty good show.

There is no cousin- they said their family was killed in el salvador. It was just a story to stay behind.

I think Travis will figure it out.  He seems adaptable.   Daniel might be a great asset for them.  Don't think his cousin is going to come get his family.

And I am sure I will watch it again but did they purposely not tell the Army lady about the injured woman?  She is in bad shape with the foot injury.  I think most people would have asked the Army for help with her.  And obviously there is still no real clue as to what is going on.  Blood splatter does not make people sick.  Heck of a head shot anyway.  I think it is turning into a pretty good show.

At this point I think it would be prudent to not report the injury unless life threatening, they took away the neighbor just for blood splatter and they do not know what they are doing with them yet.  I figured they do not yet know what is causing the "sickness" so on the military's part it seems reasonable to think it may be blood borne, and while harsh it may be ordered to quarantine and or dispose of anyone that may be infected. 

This show aggregated me every episode until about 30 minutes into last nights episode, then I understood.
This is a dramatic documentary on how the ignorant, weak & cowardly people of the Uninted States will react to a real calamity.
I will continue to watch it from this point of view and probably enjoy it, not being bothered by the fact that there were distinctive 'shucking' sounds of a pump shotgun coming from an over and under and not letting it get under my skin that a grown man couldn't start a fire with one match and knife unless he had a gallon of gasoline.

I think for many of us, it's good to have shows showing the weakness and stupidity that permeates our culture. It only reinforces my belief that 'bugging in' is the only viable option. One month minimum, preferably several months. Let the masses that these characters represent, remove themselves from the equation before becoming actively involved in the world again.
  • Like 2

At this point I think it would be prudent to not report the injury unless life threatening, 

Travis' ex wife sort of made it seem to be life threatening.  Shattered bones and dying tissue and all that.  I was surprised that he did not tell the Army woman during the interview.

I think it could be telling if gun-shy Travis eventually learns to understand the need for guns.  Frankly, having at least one California who thinks guns are icky adds to the realism of the show.  It seemed pretty clear in the way the show presented the issue that the audience is supposed to know that such a sentiment is stupid.

I hope they don't come up with alternate weapons to have him be just as efficient at protecting his family, which would be Hollywood caving to the the "no one really needs a gun" drivel from out West.  Now that I think about it, I wonder if any progressive-liberals try to pressure a show like FTWD into showing the ability to survive without a gun.

I hope they don't come up with alternate weapons to have him be just as efficient at protecting his family, which would be Hollywood caving to the the "no one really needs a gun" drivel from out West.  Now that I think about it, I wonder if any progressive-liberals try to pressure a show like FTWD into showing the ability to survive without a gun.

Pretty much same production companies involved as with TWD, with AMC studios at the top, so don't see why one would be more under any such influence than the other.

- OS

I liked the very end of Ep. 3 with Daniel looking out the window at the Army marking the house across the street and saying something like "It's already too late." :up: He gets it.

The 2 things that bug me in this show were hit on above: lack of remorse for killing (at this point), and lack of getting supplies.

Madison crushed her boss' head with a fire extinguisher and she and Travis watched they're son/stepson kill his friend with the truck but neither reacted in a way that a normal person would when killing another person. Self defense in both cases to be sure, and they know something's not right, but there should have been more anguish over both cases. As far as they know it's a possibly curable disease. They have not yet seen the dead reanimate (they kind of sort of did with Cal, but they didn't know for sure he was dead). They've seen nothing that couldn't be explained by drugs or a chemical imbalance in the brain/body, but within a day or two Madison is ready to sink a ball peen hammer into her neighbor's head when she's contained and not an immediate threat?

Travis saw the cop loading water and Madison helped Tobias loot the school's cafeteria. Then after the neighbor that ate their dog was killed, they didn't go loot his car/house? They saw him loading stuff in the car. He's dead. He won't be needing it. Go get it for yourselves. They're obviously OK with that since they went in and stole Patrick's shotgun. They also never checked on the birthday party people. They should be over there as either good neighbors checking on their well-being, or over there to loot the heck out of their kitchen and garage. Pick one depending on their current state of mind. If they're OK with killing people they're close with, taking their stuff should be no problem.

Plus why aren't they filling the bathtubs and sinks and pots with water? That's supposed to be SOP after an earthquake so Californians would know to do that in an emergency.

Maybe that's the way it goes though. They're in a state of dissonance with their normality, so maybe some things go on as normal while others have already broken, and other things swing back and forth on the way to breaking. Like Travis and the neighbor both taking the trash cans to the curb because it's trash day. They know the garbage men won't be coming around, but they did that anyway.

I liked the very end of Ep. 3 with Daniel looking out the window at the Army marking the house across the street and saying something like "It's already too late." :up: He gets it.

The 2 things that bug me in this show were hit on above: lack of remorse for killing (at this point), and lack of getting supplies.

Madison crushed her boss' head with a fire extinguisher and she and Travis watched they're son/stepson kill his friend with the truck but neither reacted in a way that a normal person would when killing another person. Self defense in both cases to be sure, and they know something's not right, but there should have been more anguish over both cases. As far as they know it's a possibly curable disease. They have not yet seen the dead reanimate (they kind of sort of did with Cal, but they didn't know for sure he was dead). They've seen nothing that couldn't be explained by drugs or a chemical imbalance in the brain/body, but within a day or two Madison is ready to sink a ball peen hammer into her neighbor's head when she's contained and not an immediate threat?

Travis saw the cop loading water and Madison helped Tobias loot the school's cafeteria. Then after the neighbor that ate their dog was killed, they didn't go loot his car/house? They saw him loading stuff in the car. He's dead. He won't be needing it. Go get it for yourselves. They're obviously OK with that since they went in and stole Patrick's shotgun. They also never checked on the birthday party people. They should be over there as either good neighbors checking on their well-being, or over there to loot the heck out of their kitchen and garage. Pick one depending on their current state of mind. If they're OK with killing people they're close with, taking their stuff should be no problem.

Plus why aren't they filling the bathtubs and sinks and pots with water? That's supposed to be SOP after an earthquake so Californians would know to do that in an emergency.

Maybe that's the way it goes though. They're in a state of dissonance with their normality, so maybe some things go on as normal while others have already broken, and other things swing back and forth on the way to breaking. Like Travis and the neighbor both taking the trash cans to the curb because it's trash day. They know the garbage men won't be coming around, but they did that anyway.

People act quite illogically during normal life, but you reckon they'd change to being completely logical when the Zed apocalypse starts, huh? :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

I too think they either show them feeling more remorse or guilt about the killings, or they just explicitly admit that they know the Walkers are already dead.  The in between state doesn't seem realistic.

Although we know that Walkers have no hope of recovery, they don't know that yet, and Madison seemed far too sure that Mrs. Tran needed to be put down.  Maybe a little further into the outbreak that would seem believable.  It is only acceptable in this situation because the audience already knows that she is right.

I liked the very end of Ep. 3 with Daniel looking out the window at the Army marking the house across the street and saying something like "It's already too late." :up: He gets it.

The 2 things that bug me in this show were hit on above: lack of remorse for killing (at this point), and lack of getting supplies.

Madison crushed her boss' head with a fire extinguisher and she and Travis watched they're son/stepson kill his friend with the truck but neither reacted in a way that a normal person would when killing another person. Self defense in both cases to be sure, and they know something's not right, but there should have been more anguish over both cases. As far as they know it's a possibly curable disease. They have not yet seen the dead reanimate (they kind of sort of did with Cal, but they didn't know for sure he was dead). They've seen nothing that couldn't be explained by drugs or a chemical imbalance in the brain/body, but within a day or two Madison is ready to sink a ball peen hammer into her neighbor's head when she's contained and not an immediate threat?

Travis saw the cop loading water and Madison helped Tobias loot the school's cafeteria. Then after the neighbor that ate their dog was killed, they didn't go loot his car/house? They saw him loading stuff in the car. He's dead. He won't be needing it. Go get it for yourselves. They're obviously OK with that since they went in and stole Patrick's shotgun. They also never checked on the birthday party people. They should be over there as either good neighbors checking on their well-being, or over there to loot the heck out of their kitchen and garage. Pick one depending on their current state of mind. If they're OK with killing people they're close with, taking their stuff should be no problem.

Maybe that's the way it goes though. They're in a state of dissonance with their normality, so maybe some things go on as normal while others have already broken, and other things swing back and forth on the way to breaking. Like Travis and the neighbor both taking the trash cans to the curb because it's trash day. They know the garbage men won't be coming around, but they did that anyway.

I think maybe they are in shock and too worried about the situation/each other to reflect on their defensive actions. That's what I keep telling myself anyway to keep it real :)

They better start syphoning gas out of all the neighbors' cars. How else they gonna get to the desert with the traffic jam that they are certain to encounter? Madison is ready to bug out for sure, but I'd stay put, scavenge and fortify. Edited by Wingshooter
I’ve caught up on the show; it’s been a busy time last week and weekend.  Glad to have a DVR and with few of my Facebook friend watching or commenting on the show, it’s not being spoiled for me.
I’ve concluded, in some form, that I am reading:  Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, after already read Revelation….knowing the much outcome before knowing the beginning, having watched “The Walking Dead”.  

Show begins very slowly for me and at times I am losing my interest, especially when the women are talking to each other.  Again thanks for DVR, I can fast-forward.  I have had some moments yelling at the TV:  “Loading with bird shot??”  “Going back to a house to get ammo, alone??!!!”
What appears is going to be the main cast and possible heroes are questionable to me, but one thing I look at and like “TWD” where middle guys become the leaders, such as the Governor, etc, is that when TSHFT situation, the people who deal with problems head on are or will be gone:  Such as police, fire fighters, EMT’s, military people especially the Infantry and other combat arms.

Madison Clark, like Andrea, appears to have some grasp of the situation, but will she toughen up like Andrea?  
Travis Manawa, has a level head, but concerned if he can make the tough choices later on.
Nick Clark, the heroin junkie and show is leaning towards he being the hero, what a joke.  I’d pay-per-view to seek him eaten by a walker.
Alicia Clark,  maybe the next Beth, needs a dose of reality.
Daniel Salazar the barber appears to really have a grasp of the matter, I’d look to him to be a leader, but he has a daughter who won’t listen to him.  He’ll do what it takes to protect his family, but when one of them goes down, what then?

I realize that the show is supposed to focus on one families struggles with what's happening. But I'm having a hard time getting into these characters. Is the average Californian really this stupid? As already pointed out, there's too much that just doesn't make sense. I suppose that this is leading to some sort of "awakening" where they suddenly develop a survival mindset and become hardcore zombie killing machines? JMHO, but in a real SHTF scenario, zombies or not, these people wouldn't stand a chance. 

Daniel is the only one who even seems to have a clue. He just might make it if the others don't get him killed.

What I do find interesting is the way society is falling apart around them. To me that's about the only redeeming value this show has. 

But, being the TWD fan that I am, I will ride it out and watch the rest of it. How knows, maybe the writers can make something out of it after all. 

The most striking feature, to me, is the normalcy bias. Things going to hell yet they are taking out the trash. Only Nick, Madison and Daniel seem to realize it is very bad and only going to get worse.
Reading between the lines I think Daniel's cousin is an O G in MS13 or a similar gang. Nothing on the show to back it up but just a feeling. Think a character like Jimmy Smits on Sons of Anarchy. Might be wrong...

The most striking feature, to me, is the normalcy bias. Things going to hell yet they are taking out the trash. Only Nick, Madison and Daniel seem to realize it is very bad and only going to get worse.
Reading between the lines I think Daniel's cousin is an O G in MS13 or a similar gang. Nothing on the show to back it up but just a feeling. Think a character like Jimmy Smits on Sons of Anarchy. Might be wrong...

Maybe he is like my Filipino in-laws--they refer to almost every other Filipino that they closely know here as "cousins."  Sometimes we later find out that those people aren't even related to them.

After the military response falls apart, only the gangs will still have a cohesive working unit, at least according to many other apocalyptic writers.  Seems like plausible plot-point would be to have a cousin gang member become a warlord.  Maybe Travis and Madison's connection to Daniel will get them into a Woodbury-type situation, LA style.

There isn't a cousin. That was just a lie Daniel told so they'd be left behind "waiting on his cousin" and depart from the family. He can't leave now that his wife is injured, so he has to try to get the others to leave him and his family.

The neighbor also taking out the trash looks like he might be interesting.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1

There isn't a cousin. That was just a lie Daniel told so they'd be left behind "waiting on his cousin" and depart from the family. He can't leave now that his wife is injured, so he has to try to get the others to leave him and his family.

The neighbor also taking out the trash looks like he might be interesting.

Yeah, I got the feeling that he had something to hide in his trash can also. It was a good thing Travis put hat bloody rug in the can before the Army search team saw it and questioned their exposure.

I think that the only thing he's hiding is that he thinks Travis is an idiot and is going to get them all killed. He has no desire to try to survive a societal collapse* with that wuss, a whiny girl, and a drug addict.

*Even Daniel can't fully understand what's coming. He probably thinks it's a relatively short-term (6 months to a few years) of social unrest and lawlessness until a medical cure is found. He has to think that if he can get out to a less populated area, he and his family will be OK. He can't possibly know this is the new normal for a very long time for the entire world.