Fear The Walking Dead (Los Angeles spinoff)

Anyone notice that they drove off and left the gate to the neighborhood open? I know they mentioned the neighbors never helped them.... but that's a low blow.

I saw that and thought the same thing. What a bunch of jerks. "Hey neighbors whom we have know for years! Not only are we not going to tell you to GTFO, we're going to let the monsters in to eat you. I hope this doesn't mean we won't exchange Christmas cards this year."

the way Strand was packing I assumed he has a way to get to the yacht.    What did I miss?

I still am not sure why he wanted the junkie with him, and now the junkies mostly worthless family unit.

I'm betting that he does have a way to get to the yacht. I just expect the storyline to take a turn for the worst before they get there.

Strand is thinking several moves ahead of everyone else. He doesn't need Nick right now and didn't really need him to escape (though he did come in handy to have around when the family came looking for him and had the key card, but that's dumb luck.). I think Strand has plans for Nick wherever he plans to take Abigail. He knows this isn't a short-term situation. He can use a person skilled at getting in and out of places unseen. Basically he knows Nick's a lying thief. Now that pseudo-nurse is gone, the rest of the family has no discernable skills which would be useful to Strand. I'm not sure why they're still there except that he doesn't yet have a way to get rid of them and keep Nick at the same time. Maybe they'll be his Otis.

Is it just me, or does the actor playing Strand remind you of a young Danny Glover?

Edited by monkeylizard

Yep. I'm approximating her at about 150' - 175'. That would be a normal crew of 8-12 depending on how much automation she has and what level of service the occupants want. That would include the chef, housekeeping, mates, and deck hands. They don't need most of that, but you'd still need a captain (assume Strand) and probably an engineer. If Strand knows his boat (assuming it's his) then he could probably show his new people how to do enough of the basics to get them underway. Just hope there's no problem in the engine room.

Edited by monkeylizard

I saw that and thought the same thing. What a bunch of jerks. "Hey neighbors whom we have know for years! Not only are we not going to tell you to GTFO, we're going to let the monsters in to eat you. I hope this doesn't mean we won't exchange Christmas cards this year."

I'm sure 3 seasons from now they'll have a rewind of them leaving and the dad at the head of the table as they drove out will reappear. His entire family will have died and now he's a lunatic cannibal rapist who is seeking revenge.....

Anyone notice that they drove off and left the gate to the neighborhood open? I know they mentioned the neighbors never helped them.... but that's a low blow.

Overall I'm unimpressed. The writing isn't very clever. It's like the writers decided ahead of time that everyone in this universe is a bad person (besides the main cast). They're either a cannibal, a rapist, a murderer, or a crazy person. Is it so hard to fathom that there might be normal people left in the world? I guess it's easier to write in a villain than to come up with something clever. Why not introduce some variations on the zombie? Maybe fast ones or something.

My wife even called them out on that douche bag move. They drove right by all their neighbors and didn't warn a soul about what was coming even though they had enough time and then left the gate open to add insult to injury. Extreme douche baggery!! 

As far as the writing goes, this series ranks right up there with Warm Bodies and Zombie Strippers. The same people that left their neighbors to die are surrounded by zombies in an unfamiliar building and they stop to let the people the gov't thought were dangerous out of their cages. Where do they find such crappy writers.

Salazar is the only character I like, he's the Daryl of this series IMO.

I thought we all agreed, NO FAST ZOMBIES!!!

Edited by BigK

Overall I'm unimpressed. The writing isn't very clever. It's like the writers decided ahead of time that everyone in this universe is a bad person (besides the main cast). They're either a cannibal, a rapist, a murderer, or a crazy person. Is it so hard to fathom that there might be normal people left in the world? I guess it's easier to write in a villain than to come up with something clever. Why not introduce some variations on the zombie? Maybe fast ones or something.

They are from LA - home of some of the shallowest people on earth, so their behavior is entirely consistent

SlingTV cut out right as they were leaving the neighborhood, and I thought at that moment, "Are they going to shut the gate?"  

Salazar luring the Walkers seemed rather cutthroat to me; I know they considered the soldiers enemies at that point, but what about all the helpless patients in the hospital?  If it wasn't for the euthanasia scene, the resulting massacre would have been directly his fault.  Did the others even know what his plan was?

I kind of wondered about that too. I can see Salazar doing that, but it's hard to see the others going along with it. It's still very early in the process, but they've gone from "just got out of a coma Rick" to "Governor with the ice cream truck" in just a few days. Then they get all bleeding heart compassionate again and let the people out of the cages. I don't get it.

I wonder if Strand actually owns the house and the boat.  Maybe he was an employee of the owner or some other connection?  No telling what is going on.  I found it odd he appeared to be packing dress clothes instead of something practical like jeans and tees.

I do not approve of this turn of events.  Would rather see the group head to the desert or see the story abandon LA and tell it from another direction.

Edited by Mike.357

I think it's his house. He's packing up clothes, though I guess he could be about the same size as the owner he knew. But he's standing there holding a framed picture at one point. That screams "family" to me. Don't know if the boat is his or not, or if he just had plans to get it.

I'd like to know how he ended up in the cages.

SlingTV cut out right as they were leaving the neighborhood, and I thought at that moment, "Are they going to shut the gate?"  

Salazar luring the Walkers seemed rather cutthroat to me; I know they considered the soldiers enemies at that point, but what about all the helpless patients in the hospital?  If it wasn't for the euthanasia scene, the resulting massacre would have been directly his fault.  Did the others even know what his plan was?

I mentioned to the wife that if I was on guard duty, I would of dropped Salazar first for bringing all the walkers to the gates. Hell, I may of even knee capped him to slow the walkers down.

I wonder if Strand actually owns the house and the boat. Maybe he was an employee of the owner or some other connection? No telling what is going on. I found it odd he appeared to be packing dress clothes instead of something practical like jeans and tees.

I do not approve of this turn of events. Would rather see the group head to the desert or see the story abandon LA and tell it from another direction.

I think the boat is a great story device. Whereas rick's group has the trudge from place to place each season, this group will have the boat as their mode of transport (at least for while it has fuel). So they'll be able to hit other cities along the coast, deal with zombie pirates?
I just got caught up by watching the last two episodes. Now that was some hoard that Daniel led to the detention center/hospital! Pretty nasty crowd.

That was also pretty hard core how Travis put Liza down before she was even sick. As far as I can remember, Rick's group always cared for their family members until death (or severly wounded and suffering) then did the deed. What Travis did seems like real murder unless we are to assume she got sick from the bite off camera. Edited by Wingshooter

That was also pretty hard core how Travis put Liza down before she was even sick. As far as I can remember, Rick's group always cared for their family members until death (or severly wounded and suffering) then did the deed. What Travis did seems like real murder unless we are to assume she got sick from the bite off camera.

I looked at it as they were about to be on the move again. Unlike Rick's group, they don't yet have a plethora of guns to leave one behind with the bitten/scratched victim for offing themselves as they get sick. It was either kill her now and get to the boat, or leave her to turn...and still get to the boat. Either way, it's time to go.

You're hitting on the thing that has bothered me since the beginning of this show. They seem to be switching from "normal" people to savage killers doing what it takes to survive too easily. Not too quickly, just too easily. None of these terrible choices seem to be tearing them up inside like they should be. Sure there was a jackass Lieutenant, but the rest of the Army personnel treated them pretty well. Travis even witnessed the enlisted men pushing back against the Lt. in "Cobalt". But then they turn around and dump the hoard of zombies on the base knowing it's going to kill a lot of the men who have been keeping them safe, just to sneak into that same base. That's cold, brutal, possibly necessary, and a viable plan that worked out for them*, but no remorse? Seriously?

*They went in to get 3 people, but only get to keep 1 of the 3 (and it's Nick, so that's a loss), but the big win is one they didn't expect and that's Strand.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1

I just got caught up by watching the last two episodes. Now that was some hoard that Daniel led to the detention center/hospital! Pretty nasty crowd.

That was also pretty hard core how Travis put Liza down before she was even sick. As far as I can remember, Rick's group always cared for their family members until death (or severly wounded and suffering) then did the deed. What Travis did seems like real murder unless we are to assume she got sick from the bite off camera.

Andrea was put down prior to death.