My job in a nutshell.

vontar

Don't miss that line of work one bit.

"Sir, I understand you have an iPhone but "our cellular company" does not manufacture your phone. Apple does. Apple also creates the software you use to access your phone and use it. Apples software is proprietary. Sir, are you following me so far? Good. So do you understand why I can't reset your iTunes account password?"

We are in the process of upgrading PC's company wide.

When someone has a PC replaced they call back to advise they got a used one (upset like they personally paid for a new one) to which we explain all the PC's in the next are used, when they are turned in they are services/repaired and redeployed as long as they are under warranty.

Or

My favor is when someone puts in a ticket that their PC is broke, unrepairable and you know they aren't doing half the stuff you ask them to do.  They know there are New PC's being handed out and they can't wait to get one of them.

They get their PC replaced sooner then they are on the schedule due to the failure.  Then they call back to complain the replacement wasn't the new ones but it was only slightly newer then the one they had.

Then we get to explain the whole they are replaced oldest first and they aren't scheduled to get a replacement for another 6 months. 

They say but I was suppose to get one next month anyways why can't have it.  We tell them it hasn't been shipped to use yet to deploy it, that we don't have it in stock so they have to use what we have available that functions.

They are then mad as they just found out they shot themselves in the foot trying to cut line.  I have even had them tell me then the only reason they put in the ticket was to try to get the new one that they wouldn't have reported it to get basically the same model they already had.

We are in the process of upgrading PC's company wide.

When someone has a PC replaced they call back to advise they got a used one (upset like they personally paid for a new one) to which we explain all the PC's in the next are used, when they are turned in they are services/repaired and redeployed as long as they are under warranty.

Or

My favor is when someone puts in a ticket that their PC is broke, unrepairable and you know they aren't doing half the stuff you ask them to do.  They know there are New PC's being handed out and they can't wait to get one of them.

They get their PC replaced sooner then they are on the schedule due to the failure.  Then they call back to complain the replacement wasn't the new ones but it was only slightly newer then the one they had.

Then we get to explain the whole they are replaced oldest first and they aren't scheduled to get a replacement for another 6 months. 

They say but I was suppose to get one next month anyways why can't have it.  We tell them it hasn't been shipped to use yet to deploy it, that we don't have it in stock so they have to use what we have available that functions.

They are then mad as they just found out they shot themselves in the foot trying to cut line.  I have even had them tell me then the only reason they put in the ticket was to try to get the new one that they wouldn't have reported it to get basically the same model they already had.

Yeah, a lot people do think they can just screw companies over. At least some of it is from people not reading what it is they are so generously putting their signature on. Then there are those that just want to prove they get what they want or that they're smarter and more cunning than the company and/or the rep they are talking to.

But companies are starting keep track of that kind of behavior, especially "constant credit seekers". Then they shit their pants when they think they you are transferring them to a "manager who will give them what they want", when instead they are going a department that specializes in severing the "provider-receiver" relationship. Haha.

• Like 1

One of the admins  at work has a sign on their door. It's circular with arrows pointing to each phrase around the circle: 

Replace User -->  Try Again  -->

I also use the (say the letters) "Eye Dee Ten Tee" code all the time for some users ===> id10t

• Like 2

One of the admins  at work has a sign on their door. It's circular with arrows pointing to each phrase around the circle: 

I also use the (say the letters) "Eye Dee Ten Tee" code all the time for some users ===> id10t

Don't forget DAU errors.... 

heh I am currently expecting tech support at our company to come by and hit me on the head with a hammer and drag me out back never to cause problems again.  

Today I was in a meeting with a guy and the dumb machine tells me it has decided to install something and reboot (IT department was bored today?).  I pulled up a command prompt and killed that, to the awe of my team-mate :)   I was nice and let it reboot when I left for the day, though.   I figure if I play nice they won't actually notice that I have more or less taken complete control of the thing.

Well I am about as technologically adept as a monkey trying to blow a bubble with their first piece of bubble gum. If I push a button and it does not come on I call my 10 year old grandson to come and fix it for me. So far he has every bit of my technology up and operational..................... :up:  :up:  

• Like 1

I'm with an earlier poster who said this kind of work is not missed! I worked on computers and computer systems for ages! Octal mainframes, DOS PC's, and Windows 3.0 thru Windows 7. Got burned out fixing other peoples problems and retired just after Windows 8 came out. I will stay with 7 and still have a MAC Book running XP. I maintain my own of course but find myself enjoying my guns, my music (drums), fixing bicycles, boating and fishing these days!

• Like 1

Love that sign, I will have to look for that.

Also error code Pebkac. Problem exists between Keyboard and Chair.

and EEUC   = equipment exceeds users capability

"Send him back to the store to buy an iMac, it is a computer especially made for idiots, er, Mommies and Daddies..."

They're also made for IT people that don't want to come home from work and work on their own computers all night.