Hey guys! Help me plan my family a fall getaway.

My wife is an avid traveler. Me.....not so much. We have two children; ages 11 and 16. We usually go somewhere in the Gulf of Mexico for fall break. We've seen most everything within driving distance of here. I'd love to hear your advice/experiences for a week long October vacation for me, my wife, and two boys.

Heck, I'm up for most anything as long as it isn't too crowded or covered in snow.

After several FL expeditions I found Destin in October was everything I wanted. There are outlet malls, lots of really nice places to eat and the beach is still comfortable enough for walking and some swiming.

We stayed in Ft. Walton last fall. It was old, but not crowded. I liked it pretty good. We ventured into Destin a couple of times. I found it very crowded. Lot of stuff there, however.

Thanks for the suggestion. :up:

Just driving distance, or are you wanting to fly?

I don't really care. Our kids don't yet have passports. If we go out of the country, i'll need to get on that pretty soon.

Breaks interstate park? Grand Canyon of the south.

That looks interesting. Never been there. Thanks.

Holiday World in Santa Claus Indian

Been there many times and love it. I'm not sure the water park would be much fun in October, if it's even open then.

Edited by gregintenn

Having lived in East Tennessee all my life and when vacationing we always just go South, however when the wife and I went to Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon West, it was very exciting, very different.   

We have been to Hawaii 2x, once on the honeymoon and 2nd time with the kids.  That is great vacation.

Edited by Runco

Consider a cruise.  Pretty cost efficient if you consider that the boat is essentially your hotel and restaurant.  Lots of pampering for the cost of a "middle class" vacation.  Most (if not all) of the lines have programs for kids and teens.  Carnival runs a number of different itineraries out of New Orleans (i.e. close enough to drive and a lot cheaper than four plane tickets to Florida).  

Sedona, AZ and then up to the Grand Canyon. Myself and my family love the Sedona area.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

+1

Two months ago, we flew to Las Vegas, then rented a car and drove to Sedona, then Grand Canyon South Rim, then around to the North Rim, then Zion National Park, then back to Vegas.  Airfare for three with luggage plus rental car for the week was $1000.  Best trip we've ever done.  North Rim closes sometime in the fall, not sure when though. 

Yellowstone.

Is October a bit late to visit there? I've always wanted to go, but I'm not sure a week would be enough for me.

Sedona, AZ and then up to the Grand Canyon. Myself and my family love the Sedona area.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I'd like to see this area.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Keep em coming. :up:

Is October a bit late to visit there? I've always wanted to go, but I'm not sure a week would be enough for me.

I think early October would be a nice time to go personally. You could get some snow very high up and in the Tetons. I have stayed in Jackson Hole and it is an easy drive to many parts. Or stay in the park. I also think a week is a pretty good amount of time to see most, if not all of it.
  • Like 1
The best October vacations I have been on were to Disney World. It's cool enough to be at all the parks during the day and warm enough to enjoy the two waterparks (Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon). Prices are off season (for Disney) and the parks are less crowded. There are plenty of places to eat with a huge variety of different foods. Happiest place on Earth!

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk Edited by Moped

Southwest has non-stop flights to San Diego from Nashville. October would be a fine month to visit. It's Cali, so no guns, but it's a great city. Go sea kayaking at La Jolla, maybe get lucky and see the S.E.A.L.s training on the beach on Coronado. If the kids like theme parks, Disneyland is just up the road.

San Francisco is always in the top 10 best cities to visit. Alcatraz, Fisherman's Wharf, Golden Gate Bridge. You can go inland for a day trip to Yosemite, and south for a day trip to Carmel by the Sea.

Yellowstone is a great choice. Reservations for hotels inside the park usually book up well in advance, so you'd better check right away and see if you can get lucky there. There are accommodations outside the park too, but Yellowstone Hotel and the Old Faithful Inn are pretty spectacular.

I hit the Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado this summer and it was great. Estes Park should be snow free then. It's usually late October/November before they see snow, but the upper elevations in the park would likely have snow. Boulder would be snow free and has great outdoor adventure (hiking, mountain biking, etc.).

• Like 1
Beach wise, we've been to Hilton Head several times and like it there. It's pretty quiet and comparatively inexpensive. This year we're going to St. George Island FL with my in-laws. We went there a number of years ago and liked it.

I'd also really like to travel out west. Fly into Denver, rent a car, and see how much we can see in a week. My wife really wants to go to Hawaii... But that's just not in the budget.
  • Like 1

San Francisco is always in the top 10 best cities to visit. Alcatraz, Fisherman's Wharf, Golden Gate Bridge. You can go inland for a day trip to Yosemite, and south for a day trip to Carmel by the Sea.

San Fran is on my personal list, for all the reasons you mention, plus I want to sit out on a boat in McCovey Cove, listen to a Giants game on the radio, and hope to see some home run balls come into the water.  I'd also take in a game inside the stadium, as they have a great beer selection from what I hear.

618_348_baseball-from-the-bay.jpg

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 2

If you are heading out to Yellowstone in October you need to check to see what park restaurants, hotels and park entrances/roads are open that time of year.  They seem to do off-season road work at time of the year.  Cody, Wyoming is a great town to visit with three great museums including the Cody Firearms Museum.  If you go to Cody from the park, I would highly recommend traveling the Chief Joseph Scenic ByWay.  Beautiful.  The Grand Teton/Yellowstone parks are a great vacation experience.