Lenior City traffic stop

• 4 weeks later...

Cops generally ask you to turn off your engine. Is that some sort of civil rights violation too, even though you've shown no inclination to run him over or flee?

- OS

Nope.  Driving a car on public roads is a privilege not a right.  The state can take that privilege away without it being a civil rights issue.

Thanks

Robert

It's also a safety procedure. When some folks get stopped they get confused and hit the wrong gear on their automatic transmissions and go backing into the police car.......and if the officer is standing back there he'll lose his legs. On manual transmissions, folks will let the clutch out thinking the transmission is in neutral when it isn't and can go zooming out into a traffic lane and hurt someone or else go zooming backwards into the police car and the officer. Killing the engine takes much of the danger out of the stop.

Edited by EssOne

Dave is right in the  post above. If you feel you have a case against the cop, take him to court. Just because your all butt hurt that he disarmed you like that, is no reason to try him on the net, with only your side of the story. If that was me being disarmed like that I would think twice about OC. That is a darn good reason to CC. :2cents:

I am sorry but taking a cop to court is pretty close to impossible.  Even when they do stuff criminally it is really hard to get the court to give a judgment against them.    As a general rule they assume the cop is telling the truth and will trust there judgement.  Taking a Cop to court can be done but it will generally cost you allot.

Thanks

Robert

I am sorry but taking a cop to court is pretty close to impossible.  Even when they do stuff criminally it is really hard to get the court to give a judgment against them.    As a general rule they assume the cop is telling the truth and will trust there judgement.  Taking a Cop to court can be done but it will generally cost you allot.

Thanks

Robert

I never said it would be cheap or what your chances of winning are. I just stated we were only getting half the story.

Thanks
Robert

I have seen cops reprimanded, suspended, fired, arrested and convicted. If a cop violated department policy; you have recourse. If they violated your rights; you have recourse. If they committed a criminal act against you; you have recourse.

If you have a case against a cop; you don’t need any money to make a complaint with their department and attorneys will jump on a rights/criminal case.

So what experience do you base your statements on? Is this “General rule” that “they” believe a cop is telling the truth a Cleveland, TN thing, because it’s not what I have seen in cases as a Police Officer.

Fortunately a Police Officer has the same rights as any other citizen in court. However, in many cases when they are not convicted; they still lose their job. Most other citizens go back to work when their cases are over.

This isn’t a personal attack on you, but it adds to the hate of Police Officers when people see this non-sense posted and think its true. Certainly you have recourse; if anything the deck is stacked on your side, not the cops.
  • Like 2

I have seen cops reprimanded, suspended, fired, arrested and convicted. If a cop violated department policy; you have recourse. If they violated your rights; you have recourse. If they committed a criminal act against you; you have recourse.

If you have a case against a cop; you don’t need any money to make a complaint with their department and attorneys will jump on a rights/criminal case.

So what experience do you base your statements on? Is this “General rule” that “they” believe a cop is telling the truth a Cleveland, TN thing, because it’s not what I have seen in cases as a Police Officer.

Fortunately a Police Officer has the same rights as any other citizen in court. However, in many cases when they are not convicted; they still lose their job. Most other citizens go back to work when their cases are over.

This isn’t a personal attack on you, but it adds to the hate of Police Officers when people see this non-sense posted and think its true. Certainly you have recourse; if anything the deck is stacked on your side, not the cops.

Not disputing everything that you said, but a police officer does enjoy "Tested Witness" status in the court system whereas a citizen normally does not. Even a lying cop gets more weight to their testimony than the honest citizen.

............................................. Even a lying cop gets more weight to their testimony than the honest citizen.

Horsepuckey. I watched the termination of a fellow State Trooper that lied in court about a matter that had nothing to do with the guilt or innocence of the defendant, which is the criteria for a Perjury charge in my home state. He was a senior officer and got pushed out the door just as fast as if he had robbed a liquor store. And all he did is deny that he had said something to the defendant that he actually had said. If a judge gets the idea a cop is lying in court, the cop's career can come to an abrupt halt, and often does, and the lie doesn't have to rise to the level of Perjury, either. So let's not go throwing that "lying cop" malarkey around too fast and loose. Defendants lie their heads off in courts all over the country every day and are never taken to task for it. Cops lose their jobs.

Edited by EssOne
  • Like 1

Horsepuckey. I watched the termination of a fellow State Trooper that lied in court about a matter that had nothing to do with the guilt or innocence of the defendant, which is the criteria for a Perjury charge in my home state. He had 15 years on the books and got pushed out the door just as fast as if he had robbed a liquor store. And all he did is deny that he had said something to the defendant that he actually had said. If a judge gets the idea a cop is lying in court, the cop's career can come to an abrupt halt, and often does. So let's not go throwing that "lying cop" malarkey around too fast and loose. Defendants lie their heads off in courts all over the country every day and are never taken to task for it. Cops lose their jobs.

Sorry, but having been a cop and having talked to many cops, I knew many who told me that they had no problems lying on the stand: therefore, it is NOT horsepucky. Not only have I heard them lie, I've known one to falsify evidence on a BA900A.

i

I heard lies

Not disputing everything that you said, but a police officer does enjoy "Tested Witness" status in the court system whereas a citizen normally does not. Even a lying cop gets more weight to their testimony than the honest citizen.

Where? And what is a “tested witness”?
  • Like 1

Where? And what is a “tested witness”?

Where was I a cop? Missouri, in a suburb of Kansas City called Claycomo. A tested witness is one who has testified before the court and has been found to be reliable before the court. Essentially, an experienced witness such as a police officer, juvenile officer, etc.

PS: The term I learned at the Highway Patrol Academy In Jefferson City, MO in 1988.

Edited by SWJewellTN

Told the truth as always. Care to know the outcome?

One cop testifying another cop is lying in a criminal trial? In the real world that would be called “reasonable doubt”. The court would either dismiss the case or disregard both Officers testimony entirely and go with the evidence on its own. In the internet world anything could happen. Edited by DaveTN

One cop testifying another cop is lying in a criminal trial? In the real world that would be caused “reasonable doubt”. The court would either dismiss the case or disregard both Officers testimony entirely and go with the evidence on its own. In the internet world anything could happen.

I think that you misunderstand, come to think about it. I didn't say that conflicting testimony was going on in the same case in which I was a witness. I have known several officers of different jurisdictions who told me that they regularly lied on the stand to win a conviction, (one was my pastor who was a former police officer in Raytown, MO). Some of those instances were where I witnessed the lie not knowing at the time that it was a lie, (in my municipal court), and then later the officer saying that it was a lie. Their rational was that if the suspect can lie then so can they. The one who falsified the BA900A reading I found out from the officer who witnessed him moving the needle. I reported that and it was blown off by the Chief. But really what could I expect when I saw my own judge represent his own client in his own court?

EDIT: Former pastor.

Edited by SWJewellTN

EssOne- I blame you for mentioning this thread in that other thread. It was laying peacefully dead until you decided to dig it up and make a zombie out of it. Now it's lumbering around and looking all ugly and ####.

Naw, it would've happened anyway here on Tennesseans Gouging Officers, er...I mean Tennessee Gun Owners.