Ruger 22/45

jwhjwh54

Got the bug or GAS (Gear acquisition Syndrome) and the Ruger 22/45 looks like it would be a whole lot of fun. Anyone here have one and what are your thoughts? Also is there a good place to get one in town? For some reason the 22/45 Lite blue looks has my eye because I know  it won't be used other than plinking or at the farm. 

Josh 

I have an early MkII HB version and for casual match shooting it's great but it's a bit heavy for a field gun or casual plinker. That's where the early MkI and MkII fixed sight standard barrel Ruger's excelled. One of the 22/45 Lite models might not be such a bad ideal.

I've got a lite in black, it comes with quirks (safety nazi stuff) that can easily be fixed. It is an absolute blast to shoot and is light. It is my yard gun and carries easy.

I was going to get a Pack lite barrel to put on my MKII pencil barrel but a new 22/45 was just a few $ more.

You just missed a great deal on a blue one for sale on this forum!

I like my 22/45(Volquartsen frame with PacLite upper). It is probably the most enjoyable 22 pistol I own.  I handled a ruger lite in the blue and liked it alot.  I know the Outpost has one in stock.

Cool. If it is still in stock by the weekend then I'll take that as proof that I need it 

I was going to get a Pack lite barrel to put on my MKII pencil barrel but a new 22/45 was just a few $ more.

You just missed a great deal on a blue one for sale on this forum!

The deal a few weeks ago in the classifieds was too good to pass up for me. I got a great deal, and met a great member in the process. You won't be disappointed with the lite in light blue. I too was going to get a pack lite barrel for my 22/45 HB, but again couldn't pass up this deal, lol. Great suppressor host, and loads of fun to shoot. With the compensator the balance is phenomenal. Edited by cgun86
  • Like 2

I really like my Lite.  I put a Volqartsen sear, mkii hammer bushing, and a dawson fiber optic front sight on it, and it has been good to go!  Mine is very reliable, very accurate, and I've had zero problems with leading.  I haven't even had any problems taking it apart.   :shrug:

The deal a few weeks ago in the classifieds was too good to pass up for me. I got a great deal, and met a great member in the process. You won't be disappointed with the lite in light blue. I too was going to get a pack lite barrel for my 22/45 HB, but again couldn't pass up this deal, lol. Great suppressor host, and loads of fun to shoot. With the compensator the balance is phenomenal.

Right on! It was difficult for me to pass up even though I have one, that is a nice specimen and a great deal.
  • Like 1

I have the Target RP (Replaceable Panels) model and I like it alot.  It's a tackdriver.  I felt compelled to make a few mods though.  First, even on the RP model it felt like the grip was too thin so I added a Pearce rubber finger groove insert which fits under the existing panels.  (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002INNYU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2DIGQF3E9XV5Q&coliid=I1BMUJ3HBDI8IH )  That helped a lot for me.  FWIW, I don't use the finger grooves on my 1911 single stacks, so the 22/45 definitely feels slimmer without modification.

I swapped out the magazine disconnect for an aftermarket hammer bushing.  All of my other pistols will fire without a mag inserted, so I wanted to make the 22/45 the same.  The aftermarket hammer bushing also has the added benefit of simplifying the notoriously complex field strip of the 22/45 and takes out a small but noticeable hitch in the trigger pull.  Here's a good 411 on the aftermarket hammer bushings...http://rugerforum.net/ruger-rimfires/63221-hammer-bushings-101-review-mark-iii-rimfires.html

Lastly, I have not yet done it, but I think I will swap out the front sight for a Truglo fiber optic.  http://rugerforum.net/ruger-rimfires/63221-hammer-bushings-101-review-mark-iii-rimfires.html  The factory front sight post is kinda big and not that great for fine target shooting IMO.

Why buy the gun when they have apparently quit making ammo for it? The last box of .22LR ammo that I have seen in a commercial establishment was back in 2012. The last box I seen at a gun show cost more than a box of premium .357 Magnum ammo. I have packed my .22s in grease and placed them in a time capsule in my gun safe. Maybe my great-great grandkids might have ammo for them! Doubt it, I think the .22 is rapidly becoming a dinosaur,people won't buy guns they can't get ammo to shoot.

Why buy the gun when they have apparently quit making ammo for it? The last box of .22LR ammo that I have seen in a commercial establishment was back in 2012. The last box I seen at a gun show cost more than a box of premium .357 Magnum ammo. I have packed my .22s in grease and placed them in a time capsule in my gun safe. Maybe my great-great grandkids might have ammo for them! Doubt it, I think the .22 is rapidly becoming a dinosaur,people won't buy guns they can't get ammo to shoot.

Why? Because there are a few people like me that have had life get in the way of hobbies (range time included) that just might have a decent stash of ammo for each caliber owned and no time to shoot. I've got a 44 rimfire with no ammo. Get rid of it, nope.
Nice pistol. I have been eyeing this for a while. I also had a good stash prior to the current shortage. That being said I have been buying .22 at fairly reasonable price lately. The days of $2 a box and cheap cartons have passed. I shoot CCI Standard most of the time.

I don't shoot 22 that much and a box of 500 will last me awhile or it used to.  I don't shoot much paper either, but this seems like a cheaper alternative then 9mm or something. Most of my shooting is at deer and pigs but this just seemed like something everyone could enjoy. Friends, family etc. 

If this is the last box of 22 on the planet then I'll have fun shooting it with my new pistol. 

• Like 3
I won't say how many 22 shooters I have. But trust me, it's too many. Get rid of them ...no. Well, maybe a couple I don't shoot at all. lol

But for me, shooting any 22 caliber firearm is fun and relaxing. Very relaxing.

I went thru about 200-250 rounds this afternoon in assorted brands while trying out the latest acquisition.

I had a fabulous time. I wouldn't trade that for a session of equal 9/45 unless you supply the ammo. lol

As JHC77 says, I try to buy a little when I see it. I may not have the high end stuff, but I'm not a bullseye shooter, just a casual plinker having fun.

BTW, I found out today what a well put together 10/22 will do for a shooter like me.

Than you, Dolomite! It made me look good...well that's a lie. But it did make me look better on the range.

Got the bug or GAS (Gear acquisition Syndrome) and the Ruger 22/45 looks like it would be a whole lot of fun. Anyone here have one and what are your thoughts? Also is there a good place to get one in town? For some reason the 22/45 Lite blue looks has my eye because I know  it won't be used other than plinking or at the farm. 

Josh 

All ruker MKS are great guns.

The 22/45 does not truly live up to its name ... the grip angle is 1911ish but the size is all wrong, so it does NOT really feel like a 1911.  It also has somewhat fewer grip choices, you have to look a little harder to get what you want if you need extra fancy grips for it.  Normal stuff is fine, this would just be exotic selections. 

That aside, it is still the 1911 angle which many prefer.   And the rest of the gun is pretty much the same as the standard design.  

My most recent is the wood gripped finger gooved hunter model which fit my hand perfectly, I picked it after feeling how good that style of grip felt to *me*.  

My previous one was a 22/45 basic model ... I ran it with a rubber wrap-around grip that provided finger grooves and a bigger grip that felt pretty good to me.

Anyway, pick up the various models.  The 2 major differences are the grip feel/style and the barrel lengths.  Note that the *hunter* is the actual target gun and the *competition / target*  modes are short barreled.

and nevermind, I see you picked one already, congrats!  If you find you shoot it a LOT,  I can't recommend enough converting to MK2 internals & a target trigger (I am using volquartzen (sp).

Edited by Jonnin

went and shot today. A new trigger would be nice. Forgot my screw driver to adjust to the sights so just sprayed the paper and doing some break in. 

Shot my Bison armory 6.8 today / break in. That thing is sweet 

Go with a volquartsen trigger kit one of the best mods you can do for a Ruger MK or 45/22.