Fire piston

I had considered one of these when I seen it one one of the YouTube channels I follow, it explains the science behind it. 

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qe1Ueifekg[/media]

It would be a nice little fire starter when made out of non flammable materials.  I went with a couple mini bics and some backup magnesium blocks but one of those would work too.

I have one, not as easy to use, for me anyway, as the video lets on.  I might have 1 out 10 tries where my tinder becomes an ember. 

Can't have too much material on your piston or it wont work.

Can't have too little material on your pisont or it wont work.

Must press it in fast and hard enought or it wont work.

To me, it's a novelty, nice to play with and show some science stuf to the kids.  For survival, I'll stick with my bics and firesteel.

Bics don't work in freezing temps. Zippos are great unless the wick gets wet, but you can count on it running out of fluid when you need it worst. Fire pistons are great for lab demonstrations. Flint and steel with some charcloth and you're good to go, if you don't mind carrying a rock. Ferro rods may just be the way to go, if you can get a flame from a spark.

Afraid you'll run out of ink while writing home? lol

Aw man, you figured it out!!!  LOL!  Actually I carry a ferro rod as well, along with a plastic 35mm film canister full of cotton balls saturated in petroleum jelly.  Never was a scout, but I like to be prepared. :D

Aw man, you figured it out!!!  LOL!  Actually I carry a ferro rod as well, along with a plastic 35mm film canister full of cotton balls saturated in petroleum jelly.  Never was a scout, but I like to be prepared. :D

That's actually a pretty good idea. I'll have to add that to the list of things I intend to pack and never get around to.

• Like 1