Speedloaders of Speed Stips for Back Up?

Moped

When my primary carry was a Ruger SP101, I kept quite a few speedloaders close to hand...even made a decent drop-away carrier that held 2. They were just too bulky for my taste, so I carried a couple of speed strips instead and kept 3 or 4 more in my bag and car.

• Like 1

I've been carrying one HKS speedloader, but I too find it a bit bulky, especially in the same pocket with my phone keys and pocket knife ( the other front pocket has my S&W Mdl 38).  So today I picked up a couple of speed strips.  They carry much better, but they are slower to load.

• Like 1

I always liked to carry a Safariland Speed Loader and a couple of Bianicia Speed Strips if I was off duty or in plain cloths. But I've got to admit if you add a drop pouch to your belt and practice those loose rounds load very fast. Honestly with a little work you can do the entire dump empties, drop and reload five or six never once looking at the revolver.

• Like 1

I rarely carry my J Frame as a primary handgun...It's usually pocket carried as a second to my G 19.

If I carry the J Frame as a primary it's usually in the appendix position and I'll have a couple of speed strips in my strong side pocket.

I down load the strips by 1 as it gives me more grip surface and this seems less "fumble-prone" to me.

TNWNGR makes some good points on a dump pouch. They are low profile and serve their purpose quite well.

:2cents:

[center]8qbFEe3.jpg[/center]

Edited by prag
  • Like 1

Here is my set up. I may continue to carry the HKS for a while yet. bc24295391de7ce4ed633b7310428716.jpg

I also have an old dump pouch. I think I will practice loading with a dump pouch, just see how it well it works.
dbb6a7a633eeab6d08ce84426c17dd9b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

• Like 1
I go back and forth on which I prefer the most. I think I prefer the HKS over the Safairland when comparing speedloaders; I have never had the HKS open in the pocket like the Safariland has, but the safariland comp1 is bit faster.

The speeds trips give the advantage if you are carrying different models of revolvers and you don't have to worry about clearing oversized grips. You can also easily top off unlike with a speedloader. I often switch between a k frame and a j frame so the speed strip has an advantage, and they are not much slower.
  • Like 2

After taking a combat handgun course for snubbies the instructor asked me, "Craig, what do you think?"  I told him, "As much as I like revolvers I am going to sell my two snubbies and stick with a Glock for self defense."  If you need more than 5 shots you need to practice and practice and practice.  Drop a 15 rd mag and reload another in Glock practical terms is  so much faster than any revolver - Jerry Miculek excluded.

• Like 1
By the way, you all notice I have the DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. I absolutely love this holster and highly recommend it!!! When I pull the little J-Frame out, it stays put in my pocket! I had an Uncle Mike's pocket holster for a Keltec PF-9 I carried for a while and it never stayed put and would come out of the pocket with the pistol. Also if you go to reholster, it's much easier than with the Uncle Mike's. It's fairly rigid. Conceals very well, provided your pants pocket is cut right, but I haven't tried it with my jeans yet. They are a bit tighter than the khakis I usually wear.

There is some great info on this thread. The "Care and feeding" of the revolver, in particular the venerable snubbie, is a dying art. So, Well Done folks! :up:

I agree with Patton on the HKS speedloaders. I have some of each. I too have had the Safariland dump in my pocket and also find the "looseness" of the rounds in an HKS allow a more positive load under pressure.

Nice setup Moped! Love those Tyler T-grips! :pleased:

Good points graycrait, but sometimes a snubbie is the best mode of carry. In an NPE (Non-Permissive Environment) you can make a snubbie simply disappear...like in a properly worn bellyband holster(i.e. worn just below the belt line).

I think the Nemesis is a good holster as well...and at a good price.

Mine is a Mika and it's going on 15 years+ now. Runs quite well out of my Carhartt blue jeans.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/

I recently read this book on snubbies. Not a bad read and has some good info in case anyone is interested. "The Snubby Revolver: The ECQ, Backup, and Concealed Carry Standard" by ED Lovette.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1581605714?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

Some great info was imparted at a "Snub Conference" back in 2005. A good bit of it has been uploaded to Youtube. Paul Gomez, Craig Douglas, Jim Cirillo, and Claude Werner were some of the folks involved. I unfortunately had to miss it, so I am thankful the info was uploaded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0EanvOh-5o

• Like 1
It does seem as if wadcutters are harder to find than people imply. I think the few times I have seen them it was at smaller gun stores. I think they are a little over rated for defense though. Every gel test I have seen it does the exact same as round nose ammunition with the exception of over penetrating. If I had a j frame not rated for plus p like a S&W 36, 40, 60, or a 39 I would probably still carry with the Speer GD. The lighter recoil of the Speers, especially the 125, steer me to believe that they are not under as much pressure. I may still do the same for an early airweight like the 37, 42, or 38 even though they are extremely delicate. Edited by Patton
  • Like 1
I carry the +P 158 gr lead semi-wadcutter hollow points.

BTW, I've had the opposite experience with Safariland loaders. It was the HK loaders that were dumping in my pocket. Edited by enfield
  • Like 2

Do you handload Moped?

Jim Cirillo recommended non-plus P wadcutters with a sharp ogive for snubby use. He collaborated with Fuzzy Fletcher to produce them under the brand of "Safe Stop" ammo for awhile.  Those were 148 gr plated bullets at about 710-720 fps...at least that's what I chronoed out of my J Frame.

Cirillo, in his book "Guns, Bullets, and Gunfights", said he preferred full wadcutters with that sharp ogive as they tended to "bite" into an object vs glancing off as many HP's did. He was discussing headshots and his experience with various rounds.

Expansion out of a snub nose revolver is iffy at best.And penetration is needed to reach the vitals. The GD's are probably the best of the HP designs currently available, but I've seen a number of .38 HP's not expand and penetrate just like their FMJ/RN counterparts. But I've seen that with 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 acp too...it happens...

The sharp ogive on a plated full WC should, hopefully, cut tissue vs pushing it aside as non-expanding HP and FMJ tend to do.

But face it...all handgun rounds are anemic. Reliability and good accurate rounds with fast followup shots are my personal preference...

I carry some of the Safe Stop rounds in my J Frame fwiw.

I carry the 158 gr LSCW-HP in my speed strips and speed loaders because they are markedly faster and easier to use (rounded profile) that trying to reload quickly with full wadcutters.

link to some wadcutters below:

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php/cName/38-special-wadcutter

• Like 1

Where does one find wadcutter ammunition? I never see it in stores. Currently I am stoking this with 158gr SJHPs. Since its an aluminum frame, they are not +P.

can find links to almost anything you want at gunbot.net…

I carry the +P 158 gr lead semi-wadcutter hollow points.

BTW, I've had the opposite experience with Safariland loaders. It was the HK loaders that were dumping in my pocket.

Same with me.  I've had a 5 star and a HKS accidentally empty.  Safariland seem to be stable and don't empty without that button between all the rounds being pushed.  If you throw it in your pocket with other things like keys, I guess it could happen, but I'd never carry that way.  They have a dedicated pocket, or a belt pouch.

• Like 1

I find wadcutters "out of stock" at Midway or CTD and get put on the notification list. When it comes in, I get several boxes.

Starting in about 1996, all S&W j-frames are rated for +P.

My Mdl 38 was made in the late 60's or early 70's.

Do you handload Moped?

Jim Cirillo recommended non-plus P wadcutters with a sharp ogive for snubby use. He collaborated with Fuzzy Fletcher to produce them under the brand of "Safe Stop" ammo for awhile. Those were 148 gr plated bullets at about 710-720 fps...at least that's what I chronoed out of my J Frame.

Cirillo, in his book "Guns, Bullets, and Gunfights", said he preferred full wadcutters with that sharp ogive as they tended to "bite" into an object vs glancing off as many HP's did. He was discussing headshots and his experience with various rounds.

Expansion out of a snub nose revolver is iffy at best.And penetration is needed to reach the vitals. The GD's are probably the best of the HP designs currently available, but I've seen a number of .38 HP's not expand and penetrate just like their FMJ/RN counterparts. But I've seen that with 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 acp too...it happens...
The sharp ogive on a plated full WC should, hopefully, cut tissue vs pushing it aside as non-expanding HP and FMJ tend to do.

But face it...all handgun rounds are anemic. Reliability and good accurate rounds with fast followup shots are my personal preference...

I carry some of the Safe Stop rounds in my J Frame fwiw.
I carry the 158 gr LSCW-HP in my speed strips and speed loaders because they are markedly faster and easier to use (rounded profile) that trying to reload quickly with full wadcutters.

link to some wadcutters below:
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php/cName/38-special-wadcutter

Was Jim Cirillo on the video linked in an earlier post? After watching that, I started wondering where i could find wadcutters. I used to reload, then got out of it, when I was getting ammunition for free. Now I am started to get back in the game again. But I would not carry reloads for self defense, because of liability in court, if I ever shot someone. I've been told and read that reloads are a big no no in such situations.