Dumb Question about parking lots

I know any one can keep a gun in their vehicle regardless of if they have a permit on any "Public parking area" and employers are not allow to bar guns from their lots. Now my dumb question....I am thinking of changing jobs and my new one will be in a highly secure area, the lot is surrounded by a high razor ribbon topped fence and an armed guard shack. Therefore technically not a public parking lot. Can I keep my gun in the lockbox without getting canned?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know any one can keep a gun in their vehicle regardless of if they have a permit on any "Public parking area" and employers are not allow to bar guns from their lots. Now my dumb question....I am thinking of changing jobs and my new one will be in a highly secure area, the lot is surrounded by a high razor ribbon topped fence and an armed guard shack. Therefore technically not a public parking lot. Can I keep my gun in the lockbox without getting canned?

That's not correct. While it's no longer a violation of the law in normal lots, it can still be prohibited by an employer. Think about it this way: It's not illegal to get caught calling the boss a slimy piece of worm ridden filth, but it's a good way to get fired. Gun in the car if the employer prohibits it is the same way. Not illegal, but still grounds for termination if caught.

Sounds like you may be at a federal facility, in which case it's both terminable AND illegal if posted.

- Without a carry permit, you cannot legally have/store gun in your vehicle in a posted lot, public or private. Nor on school property.

- With a permit, you may.  (and yeah, as per Hozzie/Monkey, federal property an exception)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

That's not correct. While it's no longer a violation of the law in normal lots, it can still be prohibited by an employer. Think about it this way: It's not illegal to get caught calling the boss a slimy piece of worm ridden filth, but it's a good way to get fired. Gun in the car if the employer prohibits it is the same way. Not illegal, but still grounds for termination if caught.

Rare lapse for ya here, Monkey.

1. You must have a carry permit to avail yourself of stashing guns in posted lots or lots on school property.

2. Employer is now specifically prohibited from taking any adverse action for doing so and is liable for it in court if you can prove it.

- OS

I think I know where he's talking about and it is neither a federal facility nor a power utility. 

Ask your employer.  If you're a contract employee, read the entire contract very carefully and ask questions of the contracting company.    While the law says you can, your employer likely says we can fire you at any time for any reason.  Violation of company policy is a good reason to get fired.  To date there's no case law to help guide the decision of then suing your former employer for wrongful termination (which the law now states you specifically can do) for doing something that's legal.  I wouldn't want to be the first to test those waters.  YMMV.

Edited by peejman

Rare lapse for ya here, Monkey.

1. You must have a carry permit to avail yourself of stashing guns in posted lots or lots on school property.

2. Employer is now specifically prohibited from taking any adverse action for doing so and is liable for it in court if you can prove it.

- OS

Ah, I was assuming the OP has a permit for 1. When did 2 happen? I knew that the employers got the limited liability a year or three ago if something happened, but I either didn't know or have forgotten about the prohibition.

ETA: Now that you mention it, I do recall it and I remember posting on the thread at the time that you'd have to have a stupid employer for saying that was the reason. Even if it was, it might be hard to prove it. Doh!

Edited by monkeylizard

When did that happen? I’m too lazy to go through all of it again, do you happen to know a TCA number I should be looking at?

When did that happen? I’m too lazy to go through all of it again, do you happen to know a TCA number I should be looking at?

Passed this last session, adds section  50-1-312 to the labor law section, and refers to 39-17-1313 in its application.

LexisNexis not updated yet, here's the enacted bill itself:

http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/109/Bill/SB1058.pdf

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

It is for a company that is on the campus of Nuclear Fuels, it is a not federal property. (that I am aware of)

Yes I have a TN HCP.

I live in Erwin and have several friends and family members that work for NFS. Last I heard if you park in the large parking lot adjacent the facility, towards the receiving dock, it's considered public parking and not subject to search without probable cause. If you enter the the main facility through the security checkpoints, and inside the wall/barbed wire you'll be subject to vehicle searches at will. If the contractor you'll be working for is Murray Guard you'll have nothing at all to worry about since you'll be doing the searches :)